Need Garage Door Opener Installed

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Morning TCG,

Garage door opener went out last night on the 2 car garage door. Had a guy come out late last night who confirmed it was the opener that failed. Going to pick up a Belt drive one from Home Depot today that is ultra quiet as the baby's room is right above the main garage.

Question is can anyone on here install it or work with garage doors? Looking to have this work performed tomorrow during the day. If no one is able to.... any idea on what this should run me for install only? The guy last night told me between 200-250 dollars to install my own part.

Open to suggestions. Would love to give the business to a site member or sponsor. Let me know.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
He’s booked into next week sadly :( need it fixed a little sooner if possible. With the wife and new baby at home she really wants it corrected sooner rather than later.

Watched an install vid. Doesn’t actually look to hard. Prob will still have a pro do it though. It would be just my luck I hang it wrong and fuck it up more.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Its easy, even easier with an extra set of hands. But expecting it done by tomorrow, that's your hard part. Sorry dude but that just isn't reasonable....

I wasn’t upset about it. They obviously do good work and are booked. Quite a few places by me do same day service, typically 200-250 dollar range. Which isn’t far off from what I’ve been hearing unless you know someone or pay someone on the side.

Buddy at work knows a company local to me he’s worked with in the past on new home installs. They are coming tomorrow after they finish their main jobs. 120 bucks cash on the side and they will install the one I want from Home Depot. Went with a higher end Chamberlain.

A lot of places also would not install anything I purchased only brands they supplied as well Which came with hefty upcharges.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Took the guy about an hour and a half. He also wanted to adjust the tension on the springs. Said the door was a little on the heavy side and it wasn’t holding itself up like it should. That part I wouldn’t mess with. Big ass springs under tension. No thanks.

Door works flawless now and got a belt driven unit with an app. Pretty neat stuff I like it.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Literally have never done it. Don’t want to fuck it up.
If I would have seen this sooner, I probably could have helped you out. I did my own ryobi. I tried getting a few companies out and nobody wanted to touch it unless I bought their products. I ended up doing it myself. Wasn't hard but I definitely took it slow.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Not only are they super easy to install, they are super, super easy to replace an existing unit. You already have the hangers in the ceiling and the mounting plate on the door. It's like swapping tires.

This.

I've replaced my opener twice at my current house. It's very easy, especially if you already have one and the mounting hardware is already in place.
The last time I got a Chamberlin and the thing literally snaps together like legos. Just be sure to not to tangle the chain when unpacking it.
The hardest part was lifting the entire assembly in place by myself. It can be hard to align it while you're also holding it up and standing on a ladder, trying not to drop the thing. If you have two ladders, you can easily lift it into place yourself since you can rest one end on the 2nd ladder.

I only had one ladder, so I had to do the balancing act. If you have a 2nd person to help, it would be even easier.

NO FEAR man, you can do this! (y)

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
When I did my Chamberlain I connected the track to the front bracket at the header first, it's pretty much a hinge so the motor is still on the ground.

Once that's done, move the ladder back and swing the motor/track on top of the ladder.

Climb the ladder and attach from there, pretty easy.

This was with a 6' step ladder in a garage with a 9' ceiling. YMMV.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
When I did my Chamberlain I connected the track to the front bracket at the header first, it's pretty much a hinge so the motor is still on the ground.

Once that's done, move the ladder back and swing the motor/track on top of the ladder.

Climb the ladder and attach from there, pretty easy.

This was with a 6' step ladder in a garage with a 9' ceiling. YMMV.
Thats exactly what I did

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
That's a good idea, if you can do it on your particular setup. I couldn't on mine due to the way the garage is constructed. There is wood in the way, so there would be no way to keep the motor on the ground while connecting the front bracket. I had to pick the whole thing up and do some maneuvering just to get to the front bracket.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info