• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Diagnostic Help...2008 Grand Prix GXP

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am typing this out for a friend of mine. He has been experiencing these issues in his stock 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with 65,000 miles for several months now and it seems to be getting more consistent. I had him write out a synopsis of what is going on so this is a direct quote from him. Let me know what you guys think and if you need more info. I appreciate any and all help!

" My car intermittently stalls when I take off from a stop. It gives me a little gas and then just cuts out on me then back in and back out. When it cuts back in it shifts really hard. It feels as if it is running through the gears with pauses in between before it gets to 4th, then takes off. Then as I am driving down the road, my gauges will go crazy sweeping forward and back, but they do not actually reflect what the car is doing. When the gauges go nuts, they all jump at the same time and the car cruises normal at this time."

It sounds like it could be one issue causing all of these symptoms. PCM/BCM? I was thinking about changing his fuel filter, but it wouldn't explain his gauge issues. He says that when it gets going, it drives fine. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. He loves the car and it is driving him nuts.

I should probably tag the wizard himself... [MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I had him take a close look at all of the wiring especially around the engine and he found something interesting. Evidently he saw some mouse poop so he pulled off the engine cover and his MAP sensor wires are chewed up and somewhat charred. The connector and sensor look good, but the wires are definitely messed up. He is going to the auto store to get a bunch of stuff to replace the wires.

Bad MAP causing the surging issue? The dash issue I am still unsure of. He said the wires under the dash all look brand new and good.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Sounds like 2 different problems. The stalling/surging sounds like a MAF problem.

The instrument gauges sound like a bad ground or possibly BCM like you mentioned.

I was initially thinking MAF as well, but after seeing how chewed up the MAP wires were I am thinking that might be the issue. Would a faulty MAP signal cause similar symptoms?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
So evidently he said it will still stall every now and again but it is drastically improved. I am going over there on Monday to correctly connect the wires and solder them together. He just has them somewhat crimped at this time and I am hoping getting a good connection will do the trick. I am going to do a really good inspection while I am over there and check stuff out as well. Is there a re-learn or anything I need to do that will help? Evidently he has been dealing with this issue for a year, so will his stock tune be learned all weird causing the issue still? I am also going to clean the MAF and inspect it on top of looking everything else over. Thanks again for the help guys!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info