Need construction permit advice on garage/pole barn

GTvert90

Addict
Donating Member
Reaction score
One of my buddies has a pole barn built. The county issued a permit based off specs the company provided him. The company advertises the building as being able to withstand 150mph winds and 30lbs/feet of snow, but told him they will not be able to offer any kind of certification, they would only provide the specs he originally gave the county. The building is now built and the inspector is questioning how the building is fastened to the slab and wants to see the wind and snow certification... Which he can't come up with so they won't sign off on the building.

Only thing I could think of is having an engineer come out, measure and calculate then certify but I'm sure that's asking for a lot to certify a building someone else designed.

Ideas?

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Agree, he’s going to need a structural engineer to take a look and they’ll likely charge out the ass. Not sure if he has any recourse with the manufacturer

OP
G

GTvert90

Addict
Donating Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the company won't engineer stamp it. But, yeah....you need an engineer to look at it.
I thought so too but I'm sure that would just add to the cost of the building. I'm not sure where he found the company or how reputable they are.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's real questionable that the company won't "certify" it despite them making those claims. If there's any documentation of the company statements, keep them close. If your buddy hires a structural engineer and it doesn't meet those claimed criteria and any thing the county makes your buddy do can be on the company (I'm sure with a filed lawsuit). Keep track of everything.

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fuck this sucks...

Part of the reason I didn't even explore this as an option because I feel like in the cities they only know standard house type construction. A guy in town got a metal garage built and a month later they changed the code to disallow it going forward.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom