• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need advice selecting brake rotor/pad/fluid combo for my 5.0

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The Brembo package on the gt500/2011+ is really for appearance. the factory gt brakes are basically 13" which is plenty.

The Brembo kit is a nice upgrade in that you get better feel, repeatability, and longevity on the track. The factory brakes work, but if you drive hard it's easy to make them fade and ultimately destroy the pads.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The Brembo kit is a nice upgrade in that you get better feel, repeatability, and longevity on the track. The factory brakes work, but if you drive hard it's easy to make them fade and ultimately destroy the pads.

As are the factory brembos :dunno:

If i were buying a new mustang, yea i'd click that option, but for a car you already own, the price vs. performance isnt there. Much better aftermarket brake options out there.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
As are the factory brembos :dunno:

If i were buying a new mustang, yea i'd click that option, but for a car you already own, the price vs. performance isnt there. Much better aftermarket brake options out there.

Brembos won't fade on the street 99% of the time and last a lot longer on the track. The price isn't that much for a "take off" set and they are a must for anyone that drives hard on the track.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
After reviewing different ways to bleed the brakes, I have decided to go traditional. Speed bleeders can fail and with my luck they will. the power bleeders have the chance of pushing air into the brake line...F that. Traditional is how I am going to roll.

Ordered some centric blanks, Hawk HPS pads, and some ATE type 200 amber fluid. Thank you all for the input!

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well shit, that didn't last long. I just got a call from tirerack and they do not know when the front set of rotors will be in stock to ship them out. Kind of an issue right now as time is a bit of a factor. Anyone have any ideas on a similar cost/quality set-up for rotors? The only other ones they had were slotted cryo treated and were over $60 more per rotor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info