Need advice for plasti dipping wheels

only place ive found spray plastidip is lowes in the spray paint aisle.

if you order from the web i heard plastidip has a few new colors and a gloss top coating.

as far as wheels, just clean em good with a APC(all purpose cleaner ) made for cars and then dry em off good. mask off the tires and go to work. light coats is the best.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
yal go too much then.

we've done 2 cans for 4 wheels. with 2-3 coats.

i mean this shits going to peel if you hit sometihng... its liquid plastic. its made to peel off to not ruin the finish,so yes if you curb your wheel in a drivethru the plastidip is going to come off even with mad layers.

You need at least 8 cans :bowrofl:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Make sure if you are brushing off any rust if that's the case, sand it first, as it will show through. I did one wheel on the DD as a science experiment and that's the only issue I had. I worked up a layer of tire shine on the tire itself carefully, then about 4 coats, turned out fine, the excess on the tire rubbed right off.

Shiny surfaces, if they are in a high wear area, not necessarily wheels, not a great idea. I sprayed one of my keys to set it apart from the other almost exact same key, just to science experiment with the plastidip some more, rubbed off in less than a week.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I used index cards along the outer edge of the wheel, stuck between the tire and the wheel. First coat is a light coat, making sure that you have every area with a little material on it. Give at least 10min between coats. It's just like spray paint, if you put it on too heavily, it WILL run. Do 4-5 coats. I did all 4 wheels on the Mustang with 3 cans, with about 1/2 a can left.

Good luck!

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
I picked up plasti dip at menards. I simply cleaned the wheels sprayed them and rubbed off the over spray off the tires. I have had my wheels plasti dipped for over a year now and still look as good as the first day. I did it on my DD.

focus.jpg
[/IMG]

006E0160.jpg
[/IMG]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info