Need advice for plasti dipping wheels

Shells_04

ICE ICE BABY!
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to plasti dip my wheels soon on my DD and need some input. What do you do to prep the wheels, seal them and wheres a good place to buy the plasti dip? Thanks

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Reaction score
only place ive found spray plastidip is lowes in the spray paint aisle.

if you order from the web i heard plastidip has a few new colors and a gloss top coating.

as far as wheels, just clean em good with a APC(all purpose cleaner ) made for cars and then dry em off good. mask off the tires and go to work. light coats is the best.

OP
Shells_04

Shells_04

ICE ICE BABY!
Reaction score
Alright thanks. I'll prolly just swing by a lowes then and grab some. How many cans per wheel should I use? I don't wanna have it chip or peel off since I drive my Jeep most days for work, errands etc

One_Quick_Z

Reaction score
Most people do 4-5 coats so depending on size of wheels and if you are just doing the face or the barrels also is a factor.

There was a guy on the 370z . com that use 3 or 4 cans on wheels I think.

DAN

serb82

Reaction score
Would all the plasti coating throw off wheel balance after being applied?

OP
Shells_04

Shells_04

ICE ICE BABY!
Reaction score
The wheels are 17s so I'm guessing 8 cans should be enough for all 4 wheels then. Now I gotta find a lowes or place that sells plasti dip

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Menards has it too.

They say 13 cans for a whole car :rofl:

I'd say 2-3 cans tops.

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Reaction score
yal go too much then.

we've done 2 cans for 4 wheels. with 2-3 coats.

i mean this shits going to peel if you hit sometihng... its liquid plastic. its made to peel off to not ruin the finish,so yes if you curb your wheel in a drivethru the plastidip is going to come off even with mad layers.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
yal go too much then.

we've done 2 cans for 4 wheels. with 2-3 coats.

i mean this shits going to peel if you hit sometihng... its liquid plastic. its made to peel off to not ruin the finish,so yes if you curb your wheel in a drivethru the plastidip is going to come off even with mad layers.
You need at least 8 cans :bowrofl:

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Reaction score
Just did mine and for four light coats on 20" rims it took 5 full cans

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
Reaction score
Make sure if you are brushing off any rust if that's the case, sand it first, as it will show through. I did one wheel on the DD as a science experiment and that's the only issue I had. I worked up a layer of tire shine on the tire itself carefully, then about 4 coats, turned out fine, the excess on the tire rubbed right off.

Shiny surfaces, if they are in a high wear area, not necessarily wheels, not a great idea. I sprayed one of my keys to set it apart from the other almost exact same key, just to science experiment with the plastidip some more, rubbed off in less than a week.

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
Make the coat thicker rather than thinner. When it comes time to remove it, it will be easier with a thicker coat.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used index cards along the outer edge of the wheel, stuck between the tire and the wheel. First coat is a light coat, making sure that you have every area with a little material on it. Give at least 10min between coats. It's just like spray paint, if you put it on too heavily, it WILL run. Do 4-5 coats. I did all 4 wheels on the Mustang with 3 cans, with about 1/2 a can left.

Good luck!

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Reaction score
I picked up plasti dip at menards. I simply cleaned the wheels sprayed them and rubbed off the over spray off the tires. I have had my wheels plasti dipped for over a year now and still look as good as the first day. I did it on my DD.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Make sure you keep a consistent distances (6" works well for me). Too far or too close makes weird bubble spot things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom