• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need advice, engine problem

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Ok so today I went out to menards to pick up a few things in the cobra.
I did not get on it, drove like a grandma. When I come out the Cobra does not want to start. I eventually make my way under the car and see gas. I jack the Cobra up to find out that there is gas leaking out between the exhaust header and the head. Now it's only coming from the drivers side head and only one port. It's the one closest to the fire wall. Needless to say I just had it towed home and I'm F**kin Pissed. So if any body has any advice at all of what it could be that would be great. I think it may be some type of valve or head issue. Please help.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Well I would guess it's leaking from one of those injectors. The fuel line comes up the passenger side right by the firewall and connects to the passenger side rail and then onto the driver side...

My suggestion would be for you to disconnect the battery, use a fuel disconnect tool and rag to soak up any remnants. Then pull the driver side fuel rail... I cant' remember but I think there is one or two nuts that hold it down. The injectors have orings, maybe one is bad or was pinched, or just not seated right and it just finally started to leak. Who installed them?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know if you have seen them, these are not our cars,but gve you an idea why they might be leaking if oring is bad, pinched, or injector not seated right.

FuelInjector-main_Full.jpg

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Pull the plug on the cylinder you suspect or better yet, all the plugs on that bank, then inspect each plug and cylinder for raw fuel. If an injector is stuck, it is theoretically possible for enough raw fuel to enter the cylinder that it could flow out the exhaust port when you crank the motor.
If this is in fact what happened, do not start the engine until the oil has been changed, once the repairs have been made.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Assuming you find an excessive amount of fuel in one cylinder:
A bad injector is not the only possible cause. The control wiring for the injector could have problems. If the wire is grounded, the injector would always be turned on, so before replacing the injector, check the looms and wiring.

There are other possible causes, but the fuel supply is the first place to inspect. The rest are not simple to diagnose or repair.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I need to retire, really retire.
I have had the Cobra out once this summer so far and it still needs that Spring tweeking that's always necessary, not to mention a bath.

Don't even have time for food or beer, lost 15# so far.
That'll be good for another 10th though or at least offset the suspension mods I made last winter...

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info