Need a stickier tire for the street - ET street or NT05(r)

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
The 555r's worked for the eaton setup but theyre not go great w/ the whipple setup. Looking for opinions. Obviously if i get stuck in the rain with of of the two choices, im gonna be fucked...but the Cobra doesnt see too much rain so im not all that worried about it. For longer road trips, id likely toss the 555's back on for tread life...

Anyway, looking for opinions. GO.

jason05gt

Reaction score
I've got NT-05's on my car and they get pretty good traction. I was able to pull a 2.0 60' off with them. They aren't as grippy in a straightline at the "R" model but handle much better due to the stiff sidewall. Vogz has them on his car and he likes them too.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
ET street hands down.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
This car will mainly see street duty over the track.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
NTO5r for the type of street driving you do. Better tread life. No doubt the MTs will hook better, but why buy a tire purposed for something different than what you are doing with the car?

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
ET Streets will DEAD hook. But if your not drag racing the car they aren't really necessary.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Just want something better for the street.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Go with MT's or M&H. Your car is making enough power where it will easily power through a half-assed Nitto DR on the street. Nitto's are good for the guys barely making over 400 at the tires. If there were ever such a thing as a "beginners DR" then the Nitto would surely be it. Ask anyone else who is putting real power down and I would be willing to bet that they aren't running Nitto's. I run with MT ET Street Radial II's on C6Z wheels. Also, they aren't that bad in the rain as long as you dont' drive like a moron, leave TCS on, and don't drive real fast. I had to take the highway once or twice with mine on in a decent downpour and even at 60-70MPH they did better than I thought they would. I was still nervous though.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
Reaction score
MT ET Streets here. 545tq to the tire on my eaton setup and I can get it to stick in 2nd on a warm day with 4.10's. Drove it home in the rain one day at 55mph with no white knuckle driving.

They wear quick but that is the cost of the grip.

gnxs

Corn-Fed Goodness
Reaction score
MT ET Streets here. 545tq to the tire on my eaton setup and I can get it to stick in 2nd on a warm day with 4.10's. Drove it home in the rain one day at 55mph with no white knuckle driving.

They wear quick but that is the cost of the grip.
The MTs are the stickier tire Mook. Depending whether you lean more towards wanting pure grip or streetability will decide what you need to get, but personally I would try not to get caught with either one in the rain.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
M&H. If i had to choose from your list, nt05r's. ET street is a good type for the track, but will burn up fast on the street... Been there done that. Two sets in one season.

M&Hs lasted a full season last year and have great traction. They do much better than the et streets in weather too.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
I've got ET streets. Hands down the best DR you can get. If you get a 275/17 then it is the originally ET street, not the II and I think they hook better. I pulled a 1.89 60' on a stock converter. I only use them on the track, I don't drive on them.

gnxs

Corn-Fed Goodness
Reaction score
M&H. If i had to choose from your list, nt05r's. ET street is a good type for the track, but will burn up fast on the street... Been there done that. Two sets in one season.

M&Hs lasted a full season last year and have great traction. They do much better than the et streets in weather too.
The M&H's are a great tire (I use them at the track on my CTS), but the ones that would work on a Cobra are all 28in diameter. Not sure what gears Mook has, but it's something to be aware of. Carl (Wiked03) used them on his Cobra and had good luck (traction and weather-wise), but he also had 4.10 gears to help make up for the diameter (the factory cobra tires are 25.7).

Also, the 275 size still won't dead hook on Mook's car. He'll need the 295 or 315 size IMO. I run the 295's on my Cobra, but with my gears will likely go to the M&H's when the MTs are shot.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Hoosier radials will be my next tire if MT doesn't release the ET street pro in a 17. But if it rains, god help you.

PANDA

Reaction score
Take into account ET Street vs ET Street Radial. Not sure how much of a race car tire you need.

I have ET Street Radials for the GTP and have been able to cut 1.6 60' with no burnout. They were FAR better then the Nittos I had before.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Ya, im talking radial here. Probably should have mentioned that.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Ya, im talking radial here. Probably should have mentioned that.
I assumed you meant radial. It wouldn't be smart to run a bias ply on the street too often.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I'm running a 315/35 right now on the stock rim...im gonna be getting some cobra knockoffs and moving to a 10.5 in the rear.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
people ran bias plys on cars for DECADES. just sayin.
That was when all tires were bias ply. Radial wears better on the street and it would pretty hard to find a bias play for a front cobra rim to match.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom