NCAA to allow student athletes to be compensated for names, image, and likeness

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I'm kinda indifferent on this and I'm not sure which way to go. On one hand I agree that why stop people from paying you, it's a free market. TV and the NCAA has been making tons of money because of their students. Why not get a share? On the other hand, I feel like college athletes should just be that, a college athlete. They play for the school and the institution and then should get scholarships or free tuition in return.

What I personally hate the most, is a student going to college for a year and then going to the pros and skipping the rest of college altogether. I don't get that. Either the rule should be you have to play through college and your education, or skip college and go pro from high school.

I'm going to sound like a zillion years old even though I'm only in my mid 30's... but...I really feel like athletes should be required to finish college before heading to the pros. If you standardized that across all sports then no one gets an unfair advantage, and the school doesn't have to worry about losing a good player after one year. I also really think another 4 years of college brings an entire different maturity level into professional sports, and it shows in leadership and ability. (Waits for those talking about injury risks and why wait to make money...)

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'm kinda indifferent on this and I'm not sure which way to go. On one hand I agree that why stop people from paying you, it's a free market. TV and the NCAA has been making tons of money because of their students. Why not get a share? On the other hand, I feel like college athletes should just be that, a college athlete. They play for the school and the institution and then should get scholarships or free tuition in return.

What I personally hate the most, is a student going to college for a year and then going to the pros and skipping the rest of college altogether. I don't get that. Either the rule should be you have to play through college and your education, or skip college and go pro from high school.

I'm going to sound like a zillion years old even though I'm only in my mid 30's... but...I really feel like athletes should be required to finish college before heading to the pros. If you standardized that across all sports then no one gets an unfair advantage, and the school doesn't have to worry about losing a good player after one year. I also really think another 4 years of college brings an entire different maturity level into professional sports, and it shows in leadership and ability. (Waits for those talking about injury risks and why wait to make money...)

Since you mentioned it. Why should they have to finish school and risk millions of dollars if they have a career ending injury?
I know they can get insurance policies for injuries, but iirc those policies are capped at a couple of million.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Since you mentioned it. Why should they have to finish school and risk millions of dollars if they have a career ending injury?
I know they can get insurance policies for injuries, but iirc those policies are capped at a couple of million.

On the other hand, if they had to finish school the Bears wouldnt have Trubisky. :s00ls:

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John

I don't have a great answer to your question or I would be working for the NCAA lol. I just think the system sucks. If the purpose is just to evaluate someone for a year before offering them money in the NFL, MLB, NBA etc then why even go to college? There should be a league between high school and the pros (like minor league baseball) that they could go to and compete before being signed to the pros.

On the other hand, if they had to finish school the Bears wouldnt have Trubisky. :s00ls:

Which is a hilarious example but kinda also the point. I think the players that put in a full 4 years in college and are in the pros are much more polished not only in their game, but their ability to lead others and make the team better. Life experience difference between an 19 and 24 year old is huge. But obviously this is all opinion.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I don't have a great answer to your question or I would be working for the NCAA lol. I just think the system sucks. If the purpose is just to evaluate someone for a year before offering them money in the NFL, MLB, NBA etc then why even go to college? There should be a league between high school and the pros (like minor league baseball) that they could go to and compete before being signed to the pros.
Yes the system is flawed to a degree.
For the most part its the basketball players that jump ship after a year. They now have a developmental league "D league" if thats what you want to call it. Pretty sure in the next 3yrs they are going to eliminate the need to go to college again for NBA players. Football players for the most part stay at least 3yrs and a good amount for the whole 4yrs. Very good number of baseball players also stay 3-4yrs if not drafted out of HS

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Yes the system is flawed to a degree.
For the most part its the basketball players that jump ship after a year. They now have a developmental league "D league" if thats what you want to call it. Pretty sure in the next 3yrs they are going to eliminate the need to go to college again for NBA players. Football players for the most part stay at least 3yrs and a good amount for the whole 4yrs. Very good number of baseball players also stay 3-4yrs if not drafted out of HS

ehh more players are going overseas to get paid vs going to the G-League. G-League players make less than I do. Even the two-way contracts (that means you can get brought up to the NBA affiliate) aren't all that great.

Actually I just looked and the G-League is offering a thing called "Select Contracts" which is for players that don't wanna go to college and aren't eligible for the NBA yet. It pays $125,000/year. Which, in the big picture, is trash. Spending time in the NCAA will get you scouted and drafted high. Spending time in the G-League will get you washed out of the league.

Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info