NBA player buys $50K M16, has it stolen after leaving it in unlocked in car

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hassan-whiteside-buys-50k-assault-rifle-immediately-stolen-leaving-unlocked-rolls-royce-020551481.html

When it comes to the winding journey of life, it’s important to remember some basic rules along the way. One of them might be, say, “Lock your doors if you’re going to leave a $50,000 assault rifle in a Rolls Royce.”

While you’d think that nugget of wisdom would come naturally for most, it was apparently a lesson learned for Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside over the summer.

The 29-year-old Whiteside reportedly purchased an M16 assault rifle with ammunition, a silencer and a rifle bag for the low, low price of $50,000 on July 6 this offseason, according to 640 AM radio host Andy Slater.

Per the report, Whiteside’s next move was to drive to the University of Miami for a workout. When he returned home the next day, he discovered the weapon was missing. After an investigation by police, it was determined that the gun was stolen when Whiteside left it in his unlocked Rolls Royce at the gun store.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Sounds like an intelligent fellow.

Who da fuq pays 50K for an "Assault Rifle" though? This thing have gold trim with diamonds on it?

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I'm thinking it was a pre-ban M16....so full auto. Otherwise yeah, had to be platinum and diamond covered lol!

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
How does a NBA player, with the IQ of a 5 year old, even get a license for that. Or did he not have one?

I have such wonderful faith in our government.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
After some digging, apparently Florida only requires a tax stamp and a sign off from the police chief for automatic weapons and suppressors.... Wonder what brilliant police chief thought it would be a good idea to give this guy the ability to get these. Broward county perhaps?

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
all m16's are full auto. its semi-auto equivalent is the ar15

You can't find a decent transferable m16 for under $20k. This dude is an idiot for leaving it unlocked in a car

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
After some digging, apparently Florida only requires a tax stamp and a sign off from the police chief for automatic weapons and suppressors.... Wonder what brilliant police chief thought it would be a good idea to give this guy the ability to get these. Broward county perhaps?
Wtf are you talking about, why would a police chief decide to forbid someone with a clean record from buying something that's legally permitted by federal and state law?

Has IL brainwashed you that bad?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
all m16's are full auto. its semi-auto equivalent is the ar15

You can't find a decent transferable m16 for under $20k. This dude is an idiot for leaving it unlocked in a car
I wouldn't call burst fire full auto. The m16a2 and a4 variants are SAFE/SEMI/BURST

And the dude is a dumbass for leaving any car unlocked with anything of value.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw earlier he posted on Twitter that he didn’t pay $50K and the car was locked.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
He's only saying that because insurance most likely wouldn't cover it otherwise.

Spectragod

Reaction score

The police chief only verified that the buyer had no criminal record in his city, he did not give permission for anything. The buyer has to go through a lengthy background check before paperwork is signed off on for the purchase, and, he would have needed separate paperwork for the suppressor.

I personally wouldn’t have left a device such as that in any car, locked or not, but if you have more money than brains......

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Whoever stole that would be best off to dump it real fucking fast. That's a nice 10 year stint at club fed.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Is it illegal to leave your car unlocked?
There are really no laws against it.

I really wish it was HIGHLY illegal to leave firearms of any kind out in the open, laying around your house or sitting in your car, that are not locked when you are someone responsible to handle a firearm isn't around.

Automatic permit/license revocation, $5,000+ fines and possible jail time. Keep your goddamn weapons secured, no matter how "comfortable" or cool you are to not lock them up when they are not in your possession or you're near them.

However, there are laws, if you will, for transporting weapons. They have to be in an approved container that can store them, example being, glove box.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
There are really no laws against it.

I really wish it was HIGHLY illegal to leave firearms of any kind out in the open, laying around your house or sitting in your car, that are not locked when you are someone responsible to handle a firearm isn't around.

Automatic permit/license revocation, $5,000+ fines and possible jail time. Keep your goddamn weapons secured, no matter how "comfortable" or cool you are to not lock them up when they are not in your possession or you're near them.

However, there are laws, if you will, for transporting weapons. They have to be in an approved container that can store them, example being, glove box.
What's funny is a HUGE proportion of the people I've heard about this happening to have been fucking COPS. Obviously the cops don't get into shit over it because even if there's storage and transport laws in their state they get carved out.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
What's funny is a HUGE proportion of the people I've heard about this happening to have been fucking COPS. Obviously the cops don't get into shit over it because even if there's storage and transport laws in their state they get carved out.
I see that as a gray area. If the firearm is locked, and the cop gets involved in a shoot-out, they lose time and risk not being able to defend themselves.

I know it doesn't seem "fair", but, they are in the line of duty and need immediate access to firearms. Sure, there are cases where ignorance plays a part and they're off duty leaving guns around their squads or in their homes. That is ignorant as fuck and cops should be held liable for that shit.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I see that as a gray area. If the firearm is locked, and the cop gets involved in a shoot-out, they lose time and risk not being able to defend themselves.

I know it doesn't seem "fair", but, they are in the line of duty and need immediate access to firearms. Sure, there are cases where ignorance plays a part and they're off duty leaving guns around their squads or in their homes. That is ignorant as fuck and cops should be held liable for that shit.
That's happened at least twice in the Bradley/Kankakee area alone in the last 5 or so years. Right in the driveway as they slept. Hell what about that officer that was on the beach in Cali and left his gun to get stolen by an illegal alien who shot a lady with a stray bullet? He got acquitted, the cop didn't get charged and they used it to pass more gun control. Shit's just insane. I say send him and the cop up the river.

That said, most security is just an illusion. Even safes. It's hard to actually physically secure much of anything tbh.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
That's happened at least twice in the Bradley/Kankakee area alone in the last 5 or so years. Right in the driveway as they slept. Hell what about that officer that was on the beach in Cali and left his gun to get stolen by an illegal alien who shot a lady with a stray bullet? He got acquitted, the cop didn't get charged and they used it to pass more gun control. Shit's just insane. I say send him and the cop up the river.

That said, most security is just an illusion. Even safes. It's hard to actually physically secure much of anything tbh.
I agree, shit happens, stupidity ensues.

But, making the attempt and effort to secure firearms is at least a step forward in the right direction. Being one of those super cool and awesome people, that think because the firearm is left randomly in their house, not locked up, is stupid (couple on TCG do that based on previous posts in other threads)

There is no guaranteed fool-proof way to lock a firearm that someone won't manage to get their hands on. But, locking them up at least deters a heavy amount of people from even trying.

Sucks about the loss of life and crime involved in stolen weapons. That's why I always tell friends/family, lock your shit up to at least try and prevent something from happening. Otherwise, if you think just because a firearm is placed in the open in your home or car that it's safe and secure, you need to have your permits/licenses revoked permanently ASAP.

I always lock my guns up and make it a point to try and hide them, if they're not on my person or within range of me personally securing. When I'm not home, they are always locked up and not advertised for a criminal to make way with just like that.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I agree, that said I think that it should be up to the people to make good decisions not have such decisions rammed down the throat of their government; If I didn't have kids in my house I'd probably have a gun out somewhere most of the time.

IZZy