National Anthem

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Just read an article yesterday that came out about not playing the anthem on espn, thought it was odd that was the first I heard about it considering its been going on since season start

Also interesting that Cuban claims he decided to do it AFTER speaking with Silver directly... Silver apparently didn't do anything about it for the first 13 games or whatever and now its a big thing

This will be interesting to how it plays out, no one thought to do this for the last 4-5+ years... I didn't even realize it was a written rule

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
It was only a matter of time and surprised it took this long.
From what I understand, kids dont recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools anymore and havent for a few years. Buddies and I have actually talked about, when will professional sports stop playing the National Anthem.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
From what I understand, kids dont recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools anymore and havent for a few years. Buddies and I have actually talked about, when will professional sports stop playing the National Anthem.
Down here by me our 4th grader still does the pledge daily in school or virtual schooling.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yep, public junior high in my neighborhood stopped playing the Pledge of Allegiance the day after Trump won in 2016. Wonder if they started back up again?

I figured it was only a matter of time until the National Anthem became offensive to people so we won't play it anymore....

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yep, public junior high in my neighborhood stopped playing the Pledge of Allegiance the day after Trump won in 2016. Wonder if they started back up again?

I figured it was only a matter of time until the National Anthem became offensive to people so we won't play it anymore....
It’s been longer than that at our schools. Just asked my son who is 22. He said they never did it in HS and pretty sure it wasn’t done in Jr high as well.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If someone wants to kneel or make some personal choice to not observe it that is on them, they have that right. But to remove it all together seems silly. What's next not displaying the American flag or changing it to just a white piece of cloth?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Seems like a stupid knee jerk reaction to me. The national anthem represents this great country not the dumb fucks that run it at any given time, it is bigger than that.

If you do say don't play it, I recommend you go to a Hawks playoff game and experience the national anthem.

That is an experience... even our friends in Boston talked about it back when we were playing them in the SCF. This is a great article.

Reactions: greasy

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
giphy.gif

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
The left views people who support the National Anthem as a "treasonous crowd" LOL!!!!! The left absolutely hates America!

If not, Silver kowtowed to an enemy who isn’t paying him much mind right now, a treasonous crowd that drapes its betrayal in a flag, assigning a value that is only as valuable as those in power allow it to have.

The lyrics, the problematic subsequent verses we never hear about, don’t have Black people in mind. The same Black people who create the revenue for themselves and other rich folks to get richer from.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The left views people who support the National Anthem as a "treasonous crowd" LOL!!!!! The left absolutely hates America!

That was the line that broke my back and why I posted it. In the abbreviated version we all know and sing daily, and more importantly WHAT GETS USED IN SPORTING EVENTS, there is NOTHING that mentions anything to do with race/skin color/sexual orientation/insert other sensitive subject here...

If you go in to the full version, then yes, there is mention of masters and slaves, but no mention of colors associated with either of those groups.

So they're grasping at straws trying to find something wrong with nothing. Maybe it's just my white prejudice weighing in though, because I don't default to finding skin color in every thing in the world.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
This is what I found in a quick search (came from USA Today);

The tradition of playing it at sports events got a dramatic boost at the 1918 World Series, during World War I. And the tradition of playing it before games was popularized during World War II. "We're a patriotic country and we're different from the rest of the world in that respect,” Ferris says.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info