Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020

main-1c-all-sky-map-1041.jpg

This mosaic is composed of images covering the entire sky, taken by the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) as part of WISE’s 2012 All-Sky Data Release. By observing the entire sky, WISE can search for faint objects, like distant galaxies, or survey groups of cosmic objects.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UCLA

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

main-1c-all-sky-map-1041.jpg
I legit can't figure out what i'm looking at but I am amazed by it lol

Every time I try to comprehend the scale of this thing my brain can't process it. Like our inconsequential human selves can look thirteen...billion...lightyears..in to the past. What

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My simpleton ass is sitting here wondering "can't it just find a planet with blue on it and zoom in to see the aliens"

Disappointingly, the answer is no

How does a telescope like the James Webb zoom in or out from a planet in our solar system to another Galaxy?

It doesn’t. One of the things people don’t understand is “zoom” is not a thing in serious telescopes. How big an object is as seen by the scope is related to its overall focal length and focal ratio. The longer the focal length, the more “zoomed” an object is. Since this is a fixed value you can’t “zoom” in and out unless you change the focal length.

For visual telescopes you zoom in by changing eyepieces. What the eyepiece is doing is acting as a focal reducer or lengthener, changing the overall focal length.

But in imaging instruments like the JWST, the only way to “zoom” in and out is to use lenses in the “imaging train” on specific instruments to change the focal length. Most of them do not. Instead they use shutters and fine mirror control to steer the light to different sensors.

The Hubble Space Telescope has lenses on some of its cameras to allow it to “zoom” in and out. The JWST is a much more fixed design. So you learn to live with the built-in field of view and just block light you don’t need to focus on detail you want to see.

Remember, JWST is principally a deep sky instrument. It isn’t meant to be a Solar System telescope. Ground-based scopes do a better job most of the time. It is meant to look deep or at really small things like exoplanets. For that, you want a long focal length and at 431 feet, the JWST has a very long focal length indeed! Over twice that of the Hubble Space Telescope at 189 feet.

So JWST by design “zooms” in at better than twice that of Hubble. And I thought my piddlin’ 1370mm was a deep sky imager!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Think of it this way, the "light" they're looking at emanated from the star millions or billions of year ago. But since light travels at a fixed speed in space (vacuum) it is just now reaching us. On a smaller scale it would be like someone in California turning on a light and a person in Hawaii seeing it turn on a few minutes later due to the speed at which light travels.

Just scale it up a bazillionthousand times.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Think of it this way, the "light" they're looking at emanated from the star millions or billions of year ago. But since light travels at a fixed speed in space (vacuum) it is just now reaching us. On a smaller scale it would be like someone in California turning on a light and a person in Hawaii seeing it turn on a few minutes later due to the speed at which light travels.

Great explanation. My brain hurts sometimes trying to comprehend when these astrophysicists talk. I'm clearly not smart enough to do it, but I think it's super cool!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

I mean I get it but it's just crazy to think that this thing has one giant picture of the sky, some of the galaxies you're seeing are a billion lightyears away, some are 5b away, all the way back to the until almost the beginning of the universe.

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

Reactions: blue-sun

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Another analogy, someone 500' feet away from you claps. You see the clap but don't hear it for a second or two due to the speed of sound in the earth's atmosphere, depending on your elevation and barometric pressure.

The "clap" is a single pulse of light emitting from the star, we're just waiting to see it, for billions of years.

Shit, for all we know the things we are seeing now might not even be there anymore.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Another analogy, someone 500' feet away from you claps. You see the clap but don't hear it for a few second due to the speed of sound in the earth's atmosphere, depending on your elevation and barometric pressure.

The "clap" is a single pulse of light emitting from the star, we're just waiting to see it, for billions of years.

Shit, for all we know the things we are seeing now might not even be there anymore.
Tim And Eric Omg GIF

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info