N20GT Does Road America (on 2 wheels) *Vid Added*

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Novice also lost an entire session before lunch thanks to the crash test dummies in intermediate. Normally they catch you up and the group where The accident(s) occurred lose the time. Better do that this afternoon

intermediate should not get a 2p or 3p session
Did they go balls out on the first lap without tires being up to temp? We had that happen three sessions in a row in Advanced. The last four sessions they had the instructors control the pace on the first lap so everyone would get up to temp before blitzing the corners. Two in row were in the chicane.

The third one was some hot head going for a lap record coming out of the carousel on the first lap and tried to pass a bunch of bikes before hitting the chicane. Both their tires and brakes weren't up to temp and he t-boned an unsuspecting GSXR-750.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Motorcycles don't get to the run the Kink, they have to use the carousel, unfortunately. Cycles were carrying too much speed into/through the kink and the powers-that-be were fearful that someone eventually would get splattered on the cement barriers. Kind of like turn 1 at Brainerd, where when the bikes became too powerful they'd overshoot the turn and end up in the weeds. After some weekends of pro racing there would be a pile of junked bikes out in the grass from all the bikes going off.

@Kensington re: the hill on the front straight. On the more powerful bikes that power wheelie over the top, if you can't manage it, meaning it might be intimidating, or the bike has so much power it will literally go over backwards, you just put a bit of pressure on the rear brake to keep the nose down. Some will lift the front end predictably and you can just ride it out. However the first time it happens it can be a bit unnerving.

When I ran champ car at Road American we already ran the bend instead of the Kink for the same reason. Wasn't really looking forward to dumb stunts through that section. Managed to get sideswiped in canada corner from somebody running a bit too quick.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The first few times I ran RA I didn't give much thought to that section, Kettle Bottom. Then I got a camera and recorded my runs. During playback is when I saw all the carnage the walls had taken, and all the rubber marks on the track's surface. The next time there I paid a little more attention during the first sessions's warm up lap and realized just how close you are to the walls and how little run off there is.

It does add to the thrill though.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
God damnit. I was on the 2nd lap (So first flying lap) of the session headed in to t12 and the lap timer said I was on pace to beat my 2:37.01 by 1.5 seconds. There would have been my 2:35.5 (or better because I’m pretty fast through turns 12-14) and we got red flagged. Oh well always next session

Lots of accidents today

• Sad
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What's so frustrating is that for everyone else it is just money wasted. You paid good money to be there and asshats are cutting down your track time. Don't even try to calculate how much it is costing you per lap to be there. With each red flag that number goes up.

Are they announcing the cause of the red flag? Cold tires? Run offs?

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What's so frustrating is that for everyone else it is just money wasted. You paid good money to be there and asshats are cutting down your track time. Don't even try to calculate how much it is costing you per lap to be there. With each red flag that number goes up.

Are they announcing the cause of the red flag? Cold tires? Run offs?
Fucking exactly. No details on causes or damages. I’ve given up 40+ mins of ride time due to red flags. Shouldn’t have skipped that session in the morning.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Is Gunshow there to corral all the riders? I'm surprised they didn't do the meeting sooner, like before the lunch break.

I know, you should have dressed in drag and ran during lunch when they do women-only sessions!

Maybe, if enough people crash out, or leave early, they will open the last session to Intermediate/Advanced and let you run double sessions. They've done that before, but usually on the second day of the double headers when there are less people on track.

One of my last times at RA there were so few people left that for the last hour it was run all you want, Advanced riders became coaches. It. Was. Glorious!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Hopefully you'll get the last two sessions in before the rain hits. You should be okay:

1593460882742.png

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Is Gunshow there to corral all the riders? I'm surprised they didn't do the meeting sooner, like before the lunch break.

I know, you should have dressed in drag and ran during lunch when they do women-only sessions!

Maybe, if enough people crash out, or leave early, they will open the last session to Intermediate/Advanced and let you run double sessions. They've done that before, but usually on the second day of the double headers when there are less people on track.

One of my last times at RA there were so few people left that for the last hour it was run all you want, Advanced riders became coaches. It. Was. Glorious!
Nick retired, that’s part of the reason it’s been so disorganized imo. He kept shit in order

• Sad
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
FUCK. YESSSSSS!!!!!!

Blew away my previous PB. Blew away my expectation for the day. And put on a motherfucking passing clinic out there. Normally passing slows you down but I would not let anyone get in my way, I was on a mission. This is gonna be a sick GoPro video

93B65092-4ED0-489E-A876-19179A9CA897.jpeg
:)

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I did that to my Pilot Power Pure 2CT's with the 600. Not as soft as those Evo's either. I did get some cold tears on the right side of the rear from I suspect the carousel on a first lap blitz. I had spoke to the Michelin tire guy in the pits and he said for the street compounds just leave the tires in the sun and they'll warm up really fast. Obviously won't have the grip of a full slick, but didn't need warmers. For the pace I was looking to run that was fine by me.

And looking at your tires, no chicken strips (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Bravo!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info