Mystic Paint Question/ Bodyshops

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
hopefully sprayed box chimes in cuz i remember him telling me about his mystic getting key'd and the guys from basf? came out and fixed it and his car looked mint!

haha thank you Chris. Ya my poor mystic got keyed from headlight to tail light and I had the left side of the car repainted by Autocrafters on rand road. Like Chris mentioned they had a guy from BASF come out and bring the mystic paint. You just want to make sure the paint is from BASF and not PPG because I guess they are different blends. Anyway the car came out PERFECT with no differences in the paint what so ever and because the damage $$$ was so high my insurance paid it on my comprehensive portion of the policy.

lou cypher

New Guy
Jul 2, 2007
haha thank you Chris. Ya my poor mystic got keyed from headlight to tail light and I had the left side of the car repainted by Autocrafters on rand road. Like Chris mentioned they had a guy from BASF come out and bring the mystic paint. You just want to make sure the paint is from BASF and not PPG because I guess they are different blends. Anyway the car came out PERFECT with no differences in the paint what so ever and because the damage $$$ was so high my insurance paid it on my comprehensive portion of the policy.

How long ago was this? Problem I'm having is, that I'm hearing different things from each place I've been too about the process of getting the paint. Some say no problem, others say the complete oppisite. I'm aware about other paint copies from other paint companies, such as PPG. I've specifically asked for BASF paint, no copies. Also, no blending involved with spraying Mystic paint. Just shoot whats being painted & that's it. Easier to paint than some other Ford colors such as Sonic Blue. Heard this directly from a painter. There's a lot rumor & innuendo connected to Mystic paint that just isn't true. A lot of it is, but most of it isn't.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
How long ago was this? Problem I'm having is, that I'm hearing different things from each place I've been too about the process of getting the paint. Some say no problem, others say the complete oppisite. I'm aware about other paint copies from other paint companies, such as PPG. I've specifically asked for BASF paint, no copies. Also, no blending involved with spraying Mystic paint. Just shoot whats being painted & that's it. Easier to paint than some other Ford colors such as Sonic Blue. Heard this directly from a painter. There's a lot rumor & innuendo connected to Mystic paint that just isn't true. A lot of it is, but most of it isn't.

Ya I have heard the no blending thing also... just a black basecoat, the BASF paint and a clear.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I've got a "Mystic 96" but it's a SHO in a color called Rosemist, and it does a 3 color shift. I had a hell of a time getting a bumper repaint to match a couple of years ago.

YOU CAN'T 'BLEND' Mystic paints. You either match the 'flop' or you don't.

Flop is which way the color shifts as you change angles of view. If the little prisms in the paint don't align with the old paint prisms, it doesn't matter how hard you try to blend them and feather the edges, the paint will shift differently at the break point between old paint with one direction of prisms, and new paint with opposite prism direction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info