3800 My new toy....

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Monday afternoon my buddy Greg and I decided to go to Chicago Cycle to buy him a bike. When we got there we found a few that he liked. He picked out a blue 2002 Yamaha R6. While we were going over the paperwork for his bike they wheeled a red R6 past us....I couldnt resist. I had no intention of buying another bike, but this thing is awesome. Here are a few pictures of them.

upload_431754456b159.jpg

upload_431754bebc514.jpg

upload_431755205684b.jpg

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Hey, if those are the Dunlop D207 race tires (and they look like they are) you better swap them out for a more streetable tire. The bike will be unsafe at speed, and get a lot of headshake with them. If you keep them on for the street, expect 1500 miles to go by before the belts start showing. If they are the street version, it's a great tire, but the race ones suck on the street, they only have a handful of good heat cycles to them.

Nice bike. I'm thinking with these gas prices I may want to start riding the bike again soon.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Sep 1 2005, 03:55 PM
The tires are Dunlop D205's.
[snapback]96697[/snapback]​
They should last a long while then.

I made the mistake of buying race tires for mine to practice cornering. The place didn't tell me about the heat cycle thing, and they were worn out in a little over a week, but still showed good tread. Three weeks and 1500 miles later I was shelling out for new tires again. $400 down the drain! At least I was single at the time...that's when I used to be able to afford stuff.

And yes...3 weeks 1500 miles. I used to ride a lot. To and from work, take naps at lunch and after work so I could go out and ride all night with my buddies.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Those must be a newer tire than I've heard of...been out of the scene awhile. The D207's have a street and race compound. I'd assume the D208 is the next generation. If it's a race compound it will clearly say it on the tire. The tread looks identical to the 207's though, should be a good tire. If you plan on riding it hard, get a steering dampner. It helps a lot for hard launches and high-spped highway runs...although the R6's don't like to launch anywhere but skyward off the line, LOL. Awesome road racer, not too good a drag racer! I wish I had a little R6 to throw around.

S

sr71_rgl

Nice choice, you made that sale guy's day for sure :rolleyes: Man, these new bikes are making mine look like a dinosaur...208 is just the current gen of tire Honda is using on their SS models. Should last you a long time but the blue R6 needs a new rear soon. The center belt is showing in one pic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info