My Murica off-road, camping, semi daily rig

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well some of you may remember the ole slut magnet I had many moons ago. I had to get rid of it for crappy reasons but went to a great home and thanks to [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] is one awesome ongoing build on here.
Original ad
1985 Slut Magnet (Camo Required)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2590&share_tid=130395&url=http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130395&share_type=thttps://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2590&share_tid=130395&url=http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130395&share_type=t

So I’ve missed it tons and have been looking on and off for years for another one. After a random search one night I found a super clean one and started working on a deal with the guy and went to see the M1009. I couldn’t believe how clean it was when I saw it, like I’m still amazed at how clean and well taken care of it looked. So I could resist and brought it home.

It came with 37” HMMWV tires that some how didn’t run unless I hit a bump while turning. It also came with a battery tender, service records, original parts that were replaced, a cover, extra paint, and a few other small trinkets.

So I started looking for some things and try to figure out a build. Kind of difficult to not just copy [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] because it’s so good. One thing I definitely needed was better axles so I began some random searching and found some dude selling a dana60 and a 14ff for a decent price so I jumped on them.

Brought them home and unloaded them with this sweet 1958 Ford tractor. The front came with 4” lift springs and I decided to do a 4” shackle flip for the rear.

So with some space cleaned out in my dads barn I’ve been slowly chipping away after work and some random time on weekends.
Front in

Starting the rear

That’s about as far as I’ve gotten. I’m hoping to find enough time to finish the rear.... then maybe find away to start the next phase...

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I love the sluts.

My wife still calls it that even though Joel hates it.

[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] also likes this

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
So finally got the rear shackle flip done, had to drop the gas tank some to get the new bolts in and putting the tank back up with the sweet military heavy metal shield was a pain.

Slid the axle in just to see, haven’t hooked anything up yet

Also got some new rubber, some KO2’s

Hopefully things go smooth this week to finish it up

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well axle swap is done minus bleeding the brakes and hooking up the vent tubes.

So I started working on some other things...

It’s going a little slower than I’d like but I’m chipping away an hour here and an hour there. Hopefully get it running in the next couple weeks. Depending on work. I have the crossover pipe next which has been a pain because I needed to reroute some fuel lines.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do you have to set timing for that kit?

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
Do you have to set timing for that kit?

So far just adjust the ip is all I’ve had to do. There are reports that cucv’s are set retarded because the military believes it makes the motor last longer. Mine was set straight up so I’ll probably just leave it even though a small advance will wake it up a little.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed that we do not have plans for marine Injectors

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
If I had IDI I'd be experimenting with shit. Bio fuel, propane.

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
Right now I just want to drive it lol. What advantages do I get from marine injectors? I know very little about diesel stuff. Just been kind of teaching myself.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of people that say the marine injectors don’t do shit for power because the IP can’t outflow the stock injectors. You’d have to do so much shit to make any hp that I don’t see the benefit over just what’s happening here. Only thing maybe worthwhile is head gaskets and studs and that’s just basic maintenance on a 30+ year old vehicle known for head gasket failures.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
ID like to 7.3 one of these. Just like a Humvee. I feel that power plant is way more productive

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom