My little journey back into time....

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
So, last week. My boss asked me to make a trip down south to Wilmington to drop a machine off and do a demo. I did what was asked of me. I met the company owner at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie Visitor Center, after we meet up and exchange pleasantries, he tells me we need to drive up the road about two miles, and we need to head west on this other road, and we need to weave in and out of barricades. And to follow him the rest of the way into the Prairie and I'll park the machine in it's spot.

I did so, and while doing so, everything was gated under key. I was like wow, this is kinda weird. This is a conservation area, why is it under lock and key. While driving up into the spot, I noticed all these dirt mounds. I was driving west, so all I saw was the east side of things.

At 1st I assumed it was an old dump, hence the mounds and "smoke stacks". As I moved more west, I noticed back going east, that the west side of these dirt mounds, there was concrete walls with steel doors.

So now at this point I was like WTF, This isn't normal. Came home that night and did a bunch of digging to find out where I was.

Come to find out, I was in the Old Joliet Munitions Factory grounds. This ground Pre dates WW2.

Here's what I can find for info on the place..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_Army_Ammunition_Plant?fbclid=IwAR2yAaT5UN0A9P0iW_P-uOpNxbiHWSkght2z3ynZ8C9iK0riOx1P4DmJMLQ

Following pictures are in no real order. I typed this on my laptop, and I'm up loading the pictures from my phone.

These where the google earth pictures the night I figured out where I was.

These are the pictures I took on my way out today.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
I remember drilling some wells and other drilling projects there many years ago. It’s all fascinating.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Should have gone inside that hobbit looking house.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
pretty sure there is an active military base in there somewhere too...

used to race on those lonely side streets 10 years ago or so, i remember waving through some humvees one night LOL.. that was awkward

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Last I heard, it's been completely closed for decades.
Only active area is the cemetery, the rest is just sitting or sold off.
I got back from over seas in '85 and it was already closed or in the process.

OP
Ti28

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
pretty sure there is an active military base in there somewhere too...

used to race on those lonely side streets 10 years ago or so, i remember waving through some humvees one night LOL.. that was awkward
There is still an Army Base, just north of this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom