NEW RIDE My Lincoln Navigator V: inside fish sticks outside tartar sauce.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
65 is always construction so that's nothing new

and the 465 jaunt has been that way for at least a year now too right? i watch the trafffic maps SUPER close and go sometimes north and sometimes go north/east on 70 to avoid clusterfucks on 465 if necessary

View attachment 127700
For a while, 65 between 80/94 and 865 was pretty good, just some work around Lafayette. Now, it's a complete shit show, especially around Lebanon. Used to be able to fly through there, now it's two divided lanes. Then where it was three lanes is all under construction. Why? It was in good shape.

The 65 being closed in downtown has been like that for about a year, like you said. The last few trips I've done to my dad's I'll take 65-865-465-74-275-75-64. Recently there has been construction on 74 east of St. Leon, where Indiana SR-1 ties in. So I'll drop down SR-1 to 275. As long as you don't get stuck behind a slow car, it's actually faster than taking 74 to 275.
1659377966259.png

On my last trip down (a week ago) I was so fed up with the construction I took the reverse trip, 75-275-SR1-74-465-65. But I got off at Remington (IN-24), topped off at the Pilot, then went west on 24. Took that over to 52, and then caught 57. Seeing as how it was midnight while doing this, there was no traffic (on 24 and 52).

Downsides to that... 24 is in good shape, but you pass through some small towns. Right when 24 becomes four lanes and billiard table smooth is where you catch US-52. 52 isn't the smooth road, and also a few small towns. But it's not bad, and you're not in a construction zone. The bad, as soon as you get on 57 you're in a construction zone, single lane. I got stuck behind a group of three semis. The first two cruised through about 65mph, and the third one was dragging his ass doing 40-45mph. Even at 12:30am by the time we got out from that first construction zone there had to be at least 40-50 cars stacked up behind us. One fucking truck driver holding everyone up. You get a few miles of open road, then another single lane construction zone. Lesson learned there. I have to go back down in a few weeks, so I'll probably take IN-41 to IN-24 (to I-65), instead of I-57 to US-52.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
For a while, 65 between 80/94 and 865 was pretty good, just some work around Lafayette. Now, it's a complete shit show, especially around Lebanon. Used to be able to fly through there, now it's two divided lanes. Then where it was three lanes is all under construction. Why? It was in good shape.

The 65 being closed in downtown has been like that for about a year, like you said. The last few trips I've done to my dad's I'll take 65-865-465-74-275-75-64. Recently there has been construction on 74 east of St. Leon, where Indiana SR-1 ties in. So I'll drop down SR-1 to 275. As long as you don't get stuck behind a slow car, it's actually faster than taking 74 to 265.
View attachment 127706

On my last trip down (a week ago) I was so fed up with the construction I took the reverse trip, 75-275-SR1-74-465-65. But I got off at Remington (IN-24), topped off at the Pilot, then went west on 24. Took that over to 52, and then caught 57. Seeing as how it was midnight while doing this, there was no traffic.

Downsides to that... 24 is in good shape, but you pass through some small towns. Right when 24 becomes four lanes and billiard table smooth is where you catch US-52. 52 isn't the smooth road, and also a few small towns. But it's not bad, and you're not in a construction zone. The bad, as soon as you get on 57 you're in a construction zone, single lane. I got stuck behind a group of three semis. The first two cruised through about 65mph, and the third one was dragging his ass doing 40-45mph. Even at 12:30am by the time we got out from that first construction zone there had to be at least 40-50 cars stacked up behind us. One fucking truck driver holding everyone up. You get a few miles of open road, then another single lane construction zone. Lesson learned there. I have to go back down in a few weeks, so I'll probably take IN-41 to IN-24 (to I-65), instead of I-57 to US-52.

i dont love the cincinnati way personally

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
i dont love the cincinnati way personally
I like it because it gives you four lanes of traffic till you get south of Florence, then it's three lanes all the way past Lexington. It usually moves pretty well, and I think there was one construction zone, but no work was being done, and no reduced speed.

The 74 to SR-1 to 275 is a nice scenic drive, but it's a 45mph zone most of the way. Again, one car moving slow and you're screwed, as there are almost no passing zones. I'll cruise through about 55mph and it's enjoyable. You then get back on 275 just north of the Ohio river.

This past trip, on the way down I did the 65/465/65 to 265 and ran across the Gene Snyder to 64. That sucked too, as 265 was under construction. Only reason I went that way was because I wasn't heading to Jackson (which is underwater ATM), I was heading south of Lexington (Nicholasville). And I had to get off at KY-60. That was a crap drive as well, as I had to go through downtown Versailles, and then single lane back roads through horse country. Cars doing 20mph under and no passing. Was teeth-gnashing.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Congrats on joining the EcoBoom life.

The biggest advice I can give you is do your maintenance in accordance with the "severe" schedule in your manual. Everyone who bitches about cam phasers and the like follow the idiotic "oil life remaining" monitor and stretch to ~10k intervals. These DI Turbo motors make a ton of heat, breaking down the oil quickly. They are also known to have fuel contaminating the oil at extended intervals. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. If you want to get science-y do a blackstone. I tow/haul fairly frequently as well as plenty of idle time so I'm on 3500mi intervals, motorcraft filter & full synthetic. I had ~170k on the 2015.

Speaking of heat, these things heat soak bad. If you're towing, tuning or driving spiritedly they will pull an immense amount of timing out to lower temps. A big upgrade guys do is a replacement intercooler. When you see the size comparison you'll get what I mean. I prefer the CVFabrication Titan V2 out of all the options available. The build quality is really nice, direct fit and includes an NPT drain fitting (less of a concern on the newer gen 3.5s, but older ones suffered from a shudder due to condensation in the I/C).

CAI's are useless unless you are tuning it or just want some added intake noise. If you do want to go that route S&B is my favorite here for price vs quality vs performance.

Aftermarket BOV's are a thing, the TurboSmart Vee Port EM is a direct replacement for your stock valve. If you're doing the intercooler, that's the time to do the BOV. Stock tune, I wouldn't consider it needed by any means but it does have a very crisp noise to it if that's your thing. Tuned however, the OEM valve will get abused and start leaking so people upgrade to the TurboSmart ones. If you want the psshhhh without the $, there's always the "VTA mod" that disconnects the recirc tube and you put a cheap plug in it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

The biggest advice I can give you is do your maintenance in accordance with the "severe" schedule in your manual. Everyone who bitches about cam phasers and the like follow the idiotic "oil life remaining" monitor and stretch to ~10k intervals. These DI Turbo motors make a ton of heat, breaking down the oil quickly. They are also known to have fuel contaminating the oil at extended intervals. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. If you want to get science-y do a blackstone. I tow/haul fairly frequently as well as plenty of idle time so I'm on 3500mi intervals, motorcraft filter & full synthetic. I had ~170k on the 2015.

Speaking of heat, these things heat soak bad. If you're towing, tuning or driving spiritedly they will pull an immense amount of timing out to lower temps. A big upgrade guys do is a replacement intercooler. When you see the size comparison you'll get what I mean. I prefer the CVFabrication Titan V2 out of all the options available. The build quality is really nice, direct fit and includes an NPT drain fitting (less of a concern on the newer gen 3.5s, but older ones suffered from a shudder due to condensation in the I/C).

CAI's are useless unless you are tuning it or just want some added intake noise. If you do want to go that route S&B is my favorite here for price vs quality vs performance.

Aftermarket BOV's are a thing, the TurboSmart Vee Port EM is a direct replacement for your stock valve. If you're doing the intercooler, that's the time to do the BOV. Stock tune, I wouldn't consider it needed by any means but it does have a very crisp noise to it if that's your thing. Tuned however, the OEM valve will get abused and start leaking so people upgrade to the TurboSmart ones. If you want the psshhhh without the $, there's always the "VTA mod" that disconnects the recirc tube and you put a cheap plug in it.
Aren't the newer ones no longer DI?

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Aren't the newer ones no longer DI?
Gen2’s have dual fuel systems. It runs off port injection in low RPM/low load scenarios, with the DI supplementing as demand increases. While this was a great addition, there is still some fuel dilution present in extended oil intervals. An added benefit of the port system is no more coking of intake valves like the Gen1’s.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I love this interior so much.
1676903646051.png

Just got it back from the dealer, Ford ESP covered passenger side running board not always retracting and the sunroof needed something cuz it wouldn't open.

was in a nautilus last week and couldn't wait to get navi back.

albeit new infotainment is lightyears better than what I have.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I love this interior so much.
View attachment 152044

Just got it back from the dealer, Ford ESP covered passenger side running board not always retracting and the sunroof needed something cuz it wouldn't open.

was in a nautilus last week and couldn't wait to get navi back.

albeit new infotainment is lightyears better than what I have.

Lincoln Protect ESP is the way. I haven’t seen my car in so long I sometimes forget I have it.

How’s your E-latch handles and soft close latches holding up?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

Yes yes and more yes to the advice here

Reactions: torquelover

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
im going fully syn at the dealer every 4k.

BeerOrGasoline BeerOrGasoline

did dealers you dealt with care about warranty stuff with mods you had

I've had no trouble with the dealers I use. Full disclosure though, I have long-standing relationships with them.

From what I've read in the EcoBoost groups/forums, most dealers don't give two shits about basic stuff like intake/intercoolers/leveling kits/drop-in BOVs etc. It's tuning that gets the advisors a little wound up.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Another EcoBoost couple of tidbits since I just went over this on my cousin's F150.

Spark plugs: I recommend every 50k or if you're experiencing an abnormal drop in fuel economy. Ford says 100k, I call bullshit. Use OE Motorcraft plugs, gapped around .028 seems to be the sweet spot.

Fuel additive: people debate the effectiveness of this, Ford & their dealers obviously recommend their array of Motorcraft/BG Platinum products when you bring it in. Long story short, I recommend it BUT we use Hot Shot's Secret Gasoline Extreme. The EB's tend to develop a very slight shake at idle, when warm (idling ~550rpm). This'll sound weird but once you see it you'll know, open the driver's door and you can see it just barely shake. Touch your hand to it, and you'll feel it. When that starts happening, toss a bottle in the tank and it'll clear up in a few days. I don't know what the root cause is, but this has consistently been the solution so we've run with it.

Fuel: I'm not sure if Lincoln does the same "Recommend Premium, Require Regular" for what fuel to put in it but I seriously push people to run premium. The truth of the matter is, the Eco's are tuned for 91. They use knock to detect the presence of 87 and just retard retard retard until it clears up. End of the day it's a relatively high-compression, direct injection, turbocharged engine. It likes the extra detonation protection.

That's all on today's episode of EcoBoost Fuckery. Tune in next week for "Running 12s in your Lincoln Navigator!"

Thread Info