My First Gun V. Home Defense.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I present to you a Mossberg 500 tactical ATI TALO special edition. Essentially a Mossberg 500 with a full ATI set up on it. Ready for all home defense needs right out of the box. Although I did buy a metal safety that has a better grip/ridge on it. Run down is 18.5" barrel, adjustable stock, several rails for additional stuff down the road, 3 round ammo side holster, 2 3/4" and 3" shell capability, and an instant hard on when you pick it up.

Mossberg ATI Tactical | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
It feels amazing. I am loving the adjustable stock. The butt pad and the back part of the pistol grip are extremely comfortable and stable. After a lot of research, the 500 was the right gun for me. Can't wait to shoot it. It does need a bit of a wipe down before I shoot...a lot of grease on it from the factory.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy! Can't wait to finally shoot it today. I have a feeling I am going to wander back to the gun store and get a 1911 or some type of rifle pretty soon as well. Wife gonna be pissed lol.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
I've wanted a shotgun for a while.

What are the main differences between the 500 and 870? Visually, there are many differences and the 500 looks like a beast in comparison.

Is this pretty heavy, or, fairly easy to hold? How do you store it and is it easily accessible in case of an emergency?

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score

What are the main differences between the 500 and 870? Visually, there are many differences and the 500 looks like a beast in comparison.

Is this pretty heavy, or, fairly easy to hold? How do you store it and is it easily accessible in case of an emergency?
The main differences that I noticed between the 500 and 870 are the safety on the 870 is right by the trigger and the 500 is on the tang making it ambidextrous. The 870 has a steel receiver that I guess has been having finish and early rust issues in the more recent years. The 500 is an aluminum receiver. Also the 500 has dual shell extractors and the 870 only has one. If for some reason one breaks on the 870, you are kind of screwed for the time being. If one breaks on the 500, there is still one that will function and the gun can still be used. The 500 is the "go to" gun for police and military use

The 500 I got is a little bit heavier than the standard 500, but I really don't find it heavy. I don't have kids and just keep mine propped in the corner by my bed. I like the pistol grip and adjustable stock on this gun a lot. It makes it very easy to handle and secure. I would recommend this model if you don't feel like adding stuff on to a regular 500 to make a tactical shotgun.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
Looks like a nice piece! I would throw a light on it. I'm a big fan of a light on your home defense gun.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice piece! I would throw a light on it. I'm a big fan of a light on your home defense gun.
:werd: definitely my next purchase other than a shit load of range ammo. I have been trying to find a quality shotgun light that doesn't cost the same as the gun. Been tough. Any suggestions?

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
:werd: definitely my next purchase other than a shit load of range ammo. I have been trying to find a quality shotgun light that doesn't cost the same as the gun. Been tough. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately I don't have any. I've got a Streamlight on my pistol and am very happy with it. I would see what they offer for long guns. I'm sure others will chime in on what they have used.

Need to get me a nice shotgun.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats man! That's a fine looking shotty right there! Plans for optics or lights?

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Congrats man! That's a fine looking shotty right there! Plans for optics or lights?
I am definitely in the market for a quality light that will mount on the rail by the muzzle. I like the option for a remote mounted switch and a strobe option as well. I wouldn't mind getting a good optic on it at all. Something simple that has exceptional target acquisition. I wouldn't be looking to break the bank with those two purchases, but I have a chronic problem of spending more money than I need to in order to get a quality product that is what I want. I will need to do some research on those two things and also get some recommendations from people in the know...AKA the TCG gun crew.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well that was easy enough. I really like those streamlight lights that [MENTION=7534]wolfe[/MENTION] mentioned and [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION], that is the style of sight that I had in mind. Awesome. I need money

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Finally got to the range out here. Really, it is just a recreational area. Gun worked awesome! The slugs kicked like a mofo. Shot just shy of 100 rounds through it and my shoulder is just a bit tender. My hand has no fatigue at all. Overall I would say the ATI add ons performed very well. Gun performed flawless without a hiccup. Sights are dead on from the factory. I should have taken some pictures, but hit center target from 30 yards with a slug. Not bad for a tactical shotgun IMO. I now want more guns as that was a blast.

Couple pictures from the range...not a bad view

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
First mod to the gun is complete. Pro mag safety switch that has a ridge on it for easier engagement/disengagement of the safety. Definitely feels better. Getting ready to field strip it and CLP the gun. Shot about 120ish rounds through it without a hiccup. Needs some love.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score

[MENTION=7280]Grabber[/MENTION] Chris check out the Mossberg JIC (just in case) shotgun. I think it would be something you'd like.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
First downside of the gun (well not really a downside just time consuming) is that all of the ATI gear including stock needs to be removed to fully field strip the gun. The barrel comes off without removing anything, which is nice. But, going to have to finish up the full clean tomorrow. Wife won't leave me alone enough tonight to finish this up in full concentration mode. Everything is held on with Allen wrench sizes, which I have an abnoxious amount of, so it won't take me long tomorrow.

[MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] when I was using CLP on the barrel and heat shield, I just saturated the parts and wiped/cleaned it really well with some cotton cloths. Then wiped all of the excess CLP off with a clean old tshirt until it wasn't oily any more. Does this sound right or should I leave more residue on the parts? Soaking the barrel and using the bore snake seemed to work quite well. Barrel looks squeaky clean and shiny on the inside. Mainly concerned with coverage on the internals and what is enough and what is too much. Thanks dudes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom