• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My converter quit locking up. Is it toast?

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
A few weeks ago I was cruising home with a buddy. Had the cruise control on and all of a sudden it unlocked and slowly rose up to about 3500rpm.
Didn't throw any codes.
Initially I thought overdrive went out because it never really felt like it was going through all the gears. So I started trouble shooting. Changed out the maf tps sensor and made sure the fluid was dead on filled.
Also the fluid looks like brand new no coloring at all.
Finally got to take it to a local trans shop and took the head guy for a ride and be said the converter is basically fucked because its not locking up.
Is there any reason for it to take a shit on me already or am I missing something maybe electronically that would tell it to stop locking up?

It's a yank SS4000 that's just over a year old. Never sprayed the car with this converter either. It's had abou 15 passes on it.
Someone give me good new because these converters are killing my budget :run:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
what did you use to scan it? if you used efilive...it should tell you why its not locking even if its commanding a lock...there has to be quite a few requirements that need to be met for it to lock.
i had a similar issue and multiple scans with various PIDS selected showed a faulty brake switch.

i'm sure hptuners can be set up to do the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info