My car has a new Whine to it, and not the good kind

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
For those that don't already know, I have a 2013 Mustang GT with a manual trans.

Car has a weep at the rear diff, and I've noticed a whine before putting it away for winter.

With spring, the whine is increasing in volume (and the pitch is related to road speed) and I'm HOPING its the rear diff, but the sound sure feels like its coming from the transmission (which is a little crunchy going into 2nd and 3rd when its 40 degree's or below).

Car has Blowfish shifter bracket on it (But STOCK shifter), is it worth the trouble to put the OEM stuff back on the car to bring it into the dealer? Or do you think I'll get flack for it. The other mods are under warranty (FRPP Tune and Axle-Backs).

I've had good experiences with minor mods at Rod Baker, but don't want to push my luck, and just wanted others thoughts.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION]

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
so it doesn't have a supercharger then?

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
If it's got a warranty, why are you even asking? :dunno:

This sounds oddly similar to my Cobalt's whine (not from the sc) and they replaced my trans (twice, because they fucked up the first one) because of it. I do not recall what they said the problem was, sorry.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
just bring it to the dealer. rod baker replaced my trans even though I had a short throw in it. just be careful they dont get your car super dirty on the inside like they did mine.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The rear diff weep unless you can see it coming from the cover is most likely the vent on the driver side, there is a mod to stop that I just noticed mine is wet around that vent as well

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
The rear diff weep unless you can see it coming from the cover is most likely the vent on the driver side, there is a mod to stop that I just noticed mine is wet around that vent as well
I'm pretty sure its from the front input seal, I noticed it when we had it up for the shifter bracket install. I can't imagine a leak that 'high' up on the Diff would cause the noise I'm experiencing also, which makes me think the Trans is about to check out.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
But you have a warranty...

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
But you have a warranty...
I know this....

The question was just primarily seeking if I should remove the shifter bracket or not first. Also curious if I might get the "That's normal" push-back kind of thing, or "The bracket is causing extra NVH" (But I know that a high pitched whine is NOT from the bracket).

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you think they might make a big deal about it, take it off. :dunno: Seems pretty simple to me, DANIEL.

P40E

Reaction score
Seapage isn't going to cause a noise unless it's out of oil .

P40E

Reaction score
Put the top down . Miss Esa driving . Hop in the back seat and go for a ride and listen .

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that's a tech at rod baker I can get you his name if you want to request him look at it

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
That'd be appreciated if you could PM that over? Maybe even just let me know when he's in?
I don't talk to him a ton any more both of us with Familys now and what not but I'll shoot him a text later

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I don't talk to him a ton any more both of us with Familys now and what not but I'll shoot him a text later
Hell, I'd be happy even if he can just confirm that they don't have some crazy new Nazi-policy about mods when there are trans issues.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I would take that bracket off if you think it is the trans. I could see Ford saying the extra ridgidity cause pre-mature failure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom