• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My 5/8" Cooling Mod

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
Question for those who have done this mod, how long does it take from start to finish? Is it a two beer or six pack length of time to complete?

I don't wrench for a living but I've done my share of engine rebuilds, clutches, etc.

I've done the entire job in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. If you can rebuild an engine your more than qualified to install a cooling mod.

The instructions I posted in this thread are step by step

SC Cheesehead

God Speed Blues Brother
Oct 18, 2009
There's a poster over on MM.net that claims the 2004 heads were modified (larger cooling passages cut into the castings) to eliminate the need for the cooling mod.

Zack, Travis, anybody else care to weigh in on that? This is the first I'd heard anything like that. I always thought it was a flow issue (i.e. stagnant coolant in the rear of the heads, not adequate circulation due to no outlet passage at the rear of the heads) not a coolant passage volume issue).

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
The only revisions to 04 heads were 9 thread spark plug holes and larger internal cooling jackets. The fluid still hits a dead end at the back of the heads and creates hot spots. Nowhere close to a cooling mod

The only head that had provisions for a cooling mod are the 05 Aviator heads.

SC Cheesehead

God Speed Blues Brother
Oct 18, 2009
The only revisions to 04 heads were 9 thread spark plug holes and larger internal cooling jackets. The fluid still hits a dead end at the back of the heads and creates hot spots. Nowhere close to a cooling mod

The only head that had provisions for a cooling mod are the 05 Aviator heads.

I've made a lot of money fixing heads due to no cooling mod installed.
Nuff said.
(Either year)

That's what I figured, thanks guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info