• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My 5/8" Cooling Mod

Siege

Big Brother
Mar 18, 2012
Bel Air, MD
LOL.

I dont think you know how the cooling system works.

Id be happy to explain it to you if you dont figure it out first. :drums:

Fair enough, I am definitely still learning about the cooling system on these cars.

Lower outlet of radiator through thermostat to oil filter housing into the block feeding the water pump which pumps it around the cylinders in the block up through the head gaskets into the cylinder heads where it exits into the COT and the upper radiator hose.

Coolant is drawn through the heater core in the Mustang from the rear of the passenger head in the Mustang then into the heater core outlet tube which is fed into rear of the water pump in the block valley.

On the Marauder the heater core is fed directly from the COT.

The difference between what I am proposing and the standard cooling mod installation on a Mustang is a single cap installed on the Marauder COT.

So what have I got wrong? :dunno:

IB TL:DR

Siege

Big Brother
Mar 18, 2012
Bel Air, MD
The heater core is fed from the metal tube running under the lower intake and dumps back into the COT (via the pipe you wanted to cap lol)

The way the cooling mod is plumbed is on the exit side of the heater core.
You're the Marauder expert but I don't even see how that's possible. The heater outlet tube under the intake feeds into a low pressure zone directly behind the pump so the coolant will flow from the high pressure COT to the rear of the water pump.

Is there a coolant flow diagram in the service manual?

Siege

Big Brother
Mar 18, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Alright so the service manual has no coolant flow diagram for the Marauder.

I have been able to find coolant flow diagrams for the 4.6 in other vehicles and they all show the coolant returning to the water pump via the line under the intake:
Coolant tube flow direction - TCCoA Forums

The images from there:
2py3qzp.jpg

CrownVicCoolantFlowDiagram.jpg

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
From Jerry W's article on the modular cooling setup, he recommends(and others do also) removing the hot coolant from the driver's head and sending it to the upper radiator hose to be cooled. That is how my car is set up now.

Then again I have more of a Mustang-style system.

This is good info, as I have recently started to redesign my cooling system, eliminating the bypass hose and remotely-mounted thermostat housing.

It involves putting the Meziere inline T-stat housing in the upper radiator hose, and then running just one hose from the bottom of the radiator to the block. Also I am running a radiator with a cap so no need for an expansion tank. I do have a puke tank to contain any blowoff.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
From Jerry W's article on the modular cooling setup, he recommends(and others do also) removing the hot coolant from the driver's head and sending it to the upper radiator hose to be cooled. That is how my car is set up now.

Then again I have more of a Mustang-style system.

This is good info, as I have recently started to redesign my cooling system, eliminating the bypass hose and remotely-mounted thermostat housing.

It involves putting the Meziere inline T-stat housing in the upper radiator hose, and then running just one hose from the bottom of the radiator to the block. Also I am running a radiator with a cap so no need for an expansion tank. I do have a puke tank to contain any blowoff.

Did you copy the setup JamesHell did on MF?

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Zack, I'm trying to follow along in this thread and but got lost somewhere.

Since there are several players here, Musclemerc, you and Siege I detect different ideas on how the coolant flow system works on the Marauder as opposed to a Mustang.

Your previous post stating the "OP's idea is a good one" refers to Musclemerc's cooling mod right and not sieges capping off the COT?

The reason I'm getting involved is that in your previous post you state "I will do that on the next car I work on"

Since my car is in line for mid April, is it my car your talking about experimenting with? If it is, don't. If it isn't then I'll go back to sleep.

If you recommend performing Musclemer's cooling mod which I think is the same as yours only different size components then that's OK.

Ease my concerns, please.

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
Did you copy the setup JamesHell did on MF?

Yes, except I put my cooling mod after the T-stat, whereas he put his before the T-stat. But same idea, yes. Also I was able to make the kick-ass Reische modular Ford 4v thermostat fit the Meziere housing, no Chevy T-stat in my car! lol

It frees up so much room in the engine bay.
Like for me with my steering box right there. I don't have Rack and pinion lol.

No need for the factory expansion tank, and the bottom radiator hose doesn't go into a thermostat housing and then go in 3 different directions.

It makes the system so much simpler, plus it puts the thermostat before the radiator, which is where it belongs IMHO.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Zack, I'm trying to follow along in this thread and but got lost somewhere.

Since there are several players here, Musclemerc, you and Siege I detect different ideas on how the coolant flow system works on the Marauder as opposed to a Mustang.

Your previous post stating the "OP's idea is a good one" refers to Musclemerc's cooling mod right and not sieges capping off the COT?

The reason I'm getting involved is that in your previous post you state "I will do that on the next car I work on"

Since my car is in line for mid April, is it my car your talking about experimenting with? If it is, don't. If it isn't then I'll go back to sleep.

If you recommend performing Musclemer's cooling mod which I think is the same as yours only different size components then that's OK.

Ease my concerns, please.

I will set yours up as I usually do, rest easy!

Siege

Big Brother
Mar 18, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I received my cooling mod kit from Travis today and am very impressed in the quality of the work done. I think it was an especially nice touch including a freeze plug installation driver with the kit.

This weekend or the next I'll be installing it and will be routing the hoses as I've described with the cooling mod feeding the heater core instead of the COT.

I believe that Zack, Travis and I are all on the same page regarding how the cooling system works now. The way it has been done as described in the first post works perfectly fine. I am just trying to reduce redundant hoses in the Marauder cooling system and that's all.

I will post the success or failure of feeding the heater core via the cooling mod vs the COT after I have completed the installation.

Thanks for the good discussion gentlemen.

MMBLUE

Regular
Apr 27, 2011
He started this thread so it can be used as a "how to" on what I did to make his cooling mod and the steps he took to install and plumb it correctly.
It was not his intention to have it used as a thread to ask about parts that were sold outside of this forum VIA his website. If people want to know the status of an order, I do have his email address and his phone number (can't use it over here), try using it(sarcasum turned on). I will use the email addy next time, my opologies. And my email works as well, it couldv'e easily been edited.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FORUM TO ASK THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS. He is not a paying vendor here and he does not intend to have any issues with the Admins of this site. This exact issue has caused many issues for him in the past on previous sites.

Last edited:

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
I started this thread so it can be used as a "how to" on what I did to make my cooling mod and the steps I took to install and plumb it correctly.

It was not my intention to have it used as a thread to ask about parts that were sold outside of this forum VIA my website. If you want to know the status of your order you have my email address and my phone number, try using it.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FORUM TO ASK THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS. I am not a paying vendor here and I do not intend to have any issues with the Admins of this site. This exact issue has caused many problems for me in the past on previous sites and eventualy got me banned.

Siege

Big Brother
Mar 18, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Def post up your findings, would be interested to know!

I installed the supercharger this week and the cooling mod with it feeding the heater core as described and experienced no issues. No issues bleeding air from the cooling system and the heat is as hot as it's always been.

I was able to delete the original tube running along the passenger head and have the coolant nipple on the crossover tube capped for now until I take it somewhere to have it removed and welded shut.

RacerX

Regular
Nov 3, 2010
I was able to delete the original tube running along the passenger head and have the coolant nipple on the crossover tube capped for now until I take it somewhere to have it removed and welded shut.

Hey! Not a bad idea deleting that! I'm welding up an 03/04 Cobra COT to work with my Heaton install and that means one less pipe to weld! Excellent idea. You are right about the water being drawn towards the back of the pump from the pipe in the valley btw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info