🔧 BUILD 2016 BMW M3 - Yas Marina Blue

General Information

My M3 has seen its first few mods since I purchased it in July 2020 and thought I share with the guys and gals of the forums.
It's a 2016 BMW F80 M3.
Color - Yas Marina Blue
Transmission - 7 speed DCT

I wanted to address suspension first so I purchased the KW DDC coilovers and 12 mm future classic spacers. My car has just over 70k miles so I opted to go with coilovers instead of lowering springs because I figured my shocks were pretty worn and I have no plans to sell the car. This set allows me to keep my electronic dampening function so I can switch between comfort, sport and sport +. I considered the Bilstein damptronics and Ohlin Road and Track but read on the bimmer forums that the ride quality was more firm with each of those compared to the KW's.

The fine folks at German Auto Werks in Lake in the Hills did the install and alignment for me. The ride quality has been great. It still feels soft in comfort, but also has the direct steering and planted to the ground feel that I wanted. The end result is roughly a 30mm drop on all 4 corners. You can see a "before and after" shot with the parking garage photos.
This is my first lowered car so parking lots have been a lot of fun to say the least...
I also had my front bumper repaired and repainted by A&L in Palatine to delete the drilled holes from the license plate. Additionally, I had A&L paint a color match stripe to my M Performance splitter and lip to go with theme of my spoiler. All of the parts were purchased from IND in Lake Zurich.

PXL_20230513_160459805.jpg

PXL_20210621_174838274.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
mural5.jpg
good3_2.jpg
DETAIL2.jpg
dec15_2.jpg
IMG_4822_3.jpg
uploadvert_2.jpg
PXL_20210707_184012609_2.jpg
PXL_20210721_011326654.jpg

Next Mods :
Winter set of tires / wheels :p
AWE Switchpath or M Perf Exhaust
New set of summer wheels. Dream wheels would be BBS LM's but HRE's FF04 look really nice too :D

The car has been an absolute blast to drive and would highly recommend them to anyone who has the chance to acquire one. It can fit the baby seats in the back, groceries from Costco in the trunk, and still be a fun track car if you want to go sideways.
I haven't posted on here in awhile and will try to be more active on the forums. I dabble with photography so I will upload any shots I take from the weekly meets.
I'm pretty active on instagram if you want to follow more of my M3 @ricof80
-Alex

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I didn't know KW gives you the option of retaining shock control functionality through their own adaptive shocks. Very cool. Was it plug and play? Or does it come with a controller? Also, does it retain adaptive function or is it just fixed firmness modes?

• Love
Reactions: greasy and Rico

Rico

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Nov 25, 2020

Thread Info