my 1997 LeSabre (you guessed it - L67 car)

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Can't find the build thread here again...

This car gets love for like 2 days a year.

JYUXaFr.jpg

4qodNSi.jpg

1HrfXKS.jpg

bIuJLRC.jpg

Trans in it is a bit builts uppers. 300m input and output shaft, bunch of other upgrade parts in it. Has only 2nd and 3rd and TCC apply.

Tonight I tried to so some diagnostic. Computer thinks it's commanding 1st gear. DMM reveals 20 ohms resistance across the 1-2 shift solenoid, same for the 2-3 solenoid. It appears that the PCM is indeed grounding the control wire for the 1-2 solenoid, the DMM diode test flips between open and closed on the 1-2 wire that the PCM grounds. This makes me think the issue is inside the trans, but since I don't have the bonded spacer plate that GTPpower is having an issue with, looks like the remaining known culprits are physical issues (clog or leak) in the solenoid or sticking feed limit valve.

The PCM is throwing a P1676 (bitch code) and P1860 but TCC seems to be working... This car is completely 1998 harness swapped at this point. I figured that for $50 there's no reason not to replace both shift solenoids and TCC solenoid since it looks like the trans has to come out again. Not sure what else could be a culprit? Don't really want to pull it seven times to figure it out :angrys00ls:.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
OK, well I'm going to have to step away from this for a few days so I don't light the bitch on fire, because none of that BS of pulling the motor and replacing the shift solenoids and putting everything back together this weekend fixed the problem, and it seems to be par for this crappy car to never work right. The 1-2 shift solenoid was clearly not working, the new one is, but still no first gear.

What the hell else could it be? When I probed the PCM wire that grounds that solenoid it appeared to be working, same with the 2-3 solenoid wire. Manually selecting 1st gear doesn't work either. And fuck me if all my spare 4t65's need rebuilt as well. :fu:

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Well, I think I found the issue. #3 check ball location:
Nli9WDf.jpg

How does that happen, you ask?
7kr8bq3.jpg

This trans is a '98. That gasket is cut wrong for this trans. At this point I'm not sure if it's an issue with the brand or revision of the gasket. But I'm not leaving it up to chance, ordered the GM 24217552 new separator plate with gaskets.

Reactions: m_dogg and v6buicks

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Looks like that was the problem. The GM 24217552 appears to be a new plate with gaskets pre-bonded to it. Installed, and it works again. All 4 + TCC, though we'll have to make some adjustments to the tune yet. It has a 35/35 sprocket set and seems like it's waiting too long to shift at part throttle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info