🔧 BUILD Mustang replacement....1971 Bronco

General Information

Back in April I got the idea to toss a number out on 1 FB group specific to coyote swapped classic mustangs on my 66' and I shouldn't have been surprised, but I got offers immediately lol. It was at what looks like the peak and yes I am kicking myself slightly for not going a bit higher, but honestly I thought it was fair. I've kept in touch with the new owner, thankfully a true car guy and he's been enjoying the car exactly how I wanted someone to be! Also I have an open invitation to come over to MI and take it for a drive if I ever feel the need :)

I took a few months to figure out which direction I'd like to go, newer, modern with power, etc.. but I again came to the realization I like classic, as well as the "build", it's like a giant puzzle for me and that is what puts me in a place of peace and quiet (most of the times lol)

Anyways, I've always wanted to build a Bronco, and after building my wife the 74' Scout I really found myself enjoying a truck and just cruising.
E664E505-0AE3-465A-A601-BE1FD7762EED.jpeg

So I started looking for one that had good bones, meaning mainly the frame, vin, title and if all worked out some usable sheet metal on the body. I ended up finding one in OK and made the deal and once it got here Sept. I assessed the body, and well, you know the rest of the story.... found terrible patch work, hidden stuff everywhere, the one saving grace is that they have long travel upgraded suspension on it that they spent the money on and had it properly installed/welded on the frame.

96B8E90D-18E0-4649-BF70-F81E83D2F8F9_1_201_a.jpeg

B03A4224-4209-40B2-B1D7-E6C922D14DCF.jpeg

AE29382D-DBF3-4A43-98BD-4875E275CAEE.jpeg

Out with the old...

In with the new

68F75D9E-3314-4F5D-AE3F-8CD7EB66E878.jpeg

I'm going to stick with the factory color (Boxwood green) may add some metallic to it and make it a version of the Scout's brittany blue in green form.
Marti Report
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 7.36.49 AM.png

No timeline on the build but some here know me and I'm not a patient man lol, so maybe a year and a half to 2yrs.
Coyote swapped of course!
I'll keep updating as I continue with the build.

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004
I'm about 90% complete on the body, only things left to weld up are the inner wheel tubs and core support, but I'm going to wait until I have the frame powder coated since it'll be easier to pull out with that long travel suspension. I need to make a body stand with some 4x4's and 2x8's to be able to pull the frame and then also can prep, prime and seam seal the underneath.
IMG_6061.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

I'll order up front and rear disc brake conversion kits, powercoat the 9" and Dana44, rebuild kits and a new 3rd member with a 4.56 gear.
So much to do but pretty happy with how quick I made work of the new body/tub.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I just saw your post :) the timing cover I have on the way already and they machine a couple of spots for their bracket setup.
I need the control pack for an Auto though :( otherwise I'd be interested!
No worries. I machined the cover for mine, it was a piece of cake with a die grinder and some aluminum tap magic....

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004
Damn I missed a couple of updates - some really solid progress here.
At this rate you'll be driving that sucker next year!
Thanks, definitely moving along with this, trying to order things upfront to avoid any out of stock situations.

I got the front Dana 44 all completed with a Yukon open carrier, 4.56 gears, new chromoly axles and disc brake conversion with new manual lock hubs.

IMG_6236.jpeg

quikturbo

Regular
Dec 24, 2004
Still waiting on CPC to finish blasting/pc'ing the frame, hopefully it'll be done this week. I did all new seals and yokes on the Dana20, installed the Advance Adapter kit to mate it to the 6r80.
IMG_6333.jpeg

EFI fuel tanks finally came off backorder so got that and putting my list of fittings needed
IMG_6325.jpeg

Cleaned and replaced a bunch of things on the motor (gaskets, plugs, etc.) along with had the fuel injectors cleaned so it's lookin pretty fresh. Then put the PBH engine harness on, Tom's bronco swap headers and motor mounts.
IMG_6328.jpeg

Trying to figure out if I want to stick with the factory Boxwood Green, or do something with some metallic in it, pretty torn on this part of the build.
Sample of an idea my painter thought may look good. Thoughts? or stick with Boxwood Green
IMG_4558.jpeg

boxwoodgreen.jpg

Thread Info