MTB Madness!

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Single speed? Is that just like a giant BMX?

27.5 single speed BMX. A lot of my in-laws live in the neighborhood and there’s a couple restaurants and bars riding distance. Just looking for something to throw a rack on and rip around the neighborhood.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Bob Kazamakis ilikemtb999

Tell me why this is a bad buy: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-29-2

Be mindful, BMXer used to fixies who hasn't ridden in ~12 years and is now an out of shape dad. Also, we obviously don't have the terrain you have out west so really only flatland trails and riding with wife and the kid.

$1600 is already too rich for me but that looks to be where "good" FS bikes even start.

Also, 6'1" 240. So I'd assume a large frame would fit? Maybe step up to extra large? I know each manufacturer has their own idea of what size frame fits which height.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Bob Kazamakis ilikemtb999

Tell me why this is a bad buy: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-29-2

Be mindful, BMXer used to fixies who hasn't ridden in ~12 years and is now an out of shape dad. Also, we obviously don't have the terrain you have out west so really only flatland trails and riding with wife and the kid.

$1600 is already too rich for me but that looks to be where "good" FS bikes even start.

Also, 6'1" 240. So I'd assume a large frame would fit? Maybe step up to extra large? I know each manufacturer has their own idea of what size frame fits which height.
Not bad at all for the price honestly. You’ll get a better group set going with a hardtail but I think FS is worth the buy in. Only thing is it does not have a dropper post. Once you start having fun I think it’ll be a worthwhile upgrade. Plenty of good and “cheap” ones from companies like oneup or even the giant branded post.

yea large for sure. I’m the same height with a 33” inseam and rock a large.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
As far as hardtails go, this one is decent value and gets you better components.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
So this morning, all happy biking up hill, pop goes the chain, smoked the derailleur.... Was thinking about tossing the bike in the lake....

But then, Google to The Rescue.
A fine Gentlemen on the side of the road 6 miles away set me straight.

W.

The Bike Shop

12037 WI-42, Ellison Bay, WI 54210 https://g.co/kgs/8LVUcX

20200712_104730.jpg

20200712_135709.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Reactions: greasy

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
They couldn’t just fix/replace the cassette or freewheel?

ordered myself one of these.
View attachment 60307

and the wife one of these.
View attachment 60308

distributors are already wiped out so I’m looking at the first week of August apparently.

Still up in the air on these. Full Factory oversold these and my original shop isn’t getting the bikes in that they were promised in August. I’m now waiting on an email to go out from Let’s Roast in Chicago with what they’re getting so I can call them and reserve them.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Fit did make one but I think they aren’t now since S&M is making those Cook Brothers-esque Covid Cruisers. I wasn’t as interested in the fit as it had a unsealed rear hub and I think a freewheel but I don’t remember. If I really wanted to go crazy I’d buy a 26” Taj Frame and fork and build it up. I need to take inventory of what I have in my parents basement.

Thread Info