Sports MTB Madness!

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Biggest learning curve for me has been tire pressure. I’m used to BMX where if a tire held 90psi you ran 90+ psi. I figured the higher the pressure the faster you’d go, which would be true on a perfectly smooth surface. Dropped my 43’s from 60psi to 45 in the rear and 40 in the front and it’s night and day smoother and feels just as fast.

I run 20-22 front and 23-25 in the rear, no cush core. Lots of Texas trails were pretty rocky and I never had an issue at those pressures, seems to help a good bit with traction while never wanting to "fold over" or feel unstable in corners. That's with a 29x2.5 front and 29x2.4 rear.
1685539236182.png

Reactions: DanJ

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Biggest learning curve for me has been tire pressure. I’m used to BMX where if a tire held 90psi you ran 90+ psi. I figured the higher the pressure the faster you’d go, which would be true on a perfectly smooth surface. Dropped my 43’s from 60psi to 45 in the rear and 40 in the front and it’s night and day smoother and feels just as fast.
Dude , this right here. For anything I was riding around here and Wisconsin I felt like I was fine with more air. I was typically around 35-40PSI. Also running my suspension BMX style.
When I went to Killington last year, a good buddy of mine was down there. He's an old BMX dude who is now a killer MTBr. He works for SunTour as a suspension tech. He took my bike and did a quick setup on it and dialed it.
When I'm dirt jumping I now run 30-35 PSI depending on BMX jumps or MTB jumps. When I ride DH now and chunk I'm down 28-30PSI. But the biggest change was the squish setup. I now have two setups. Dirt jump/riding on the street and then I have everything else. Basically he set me up to adjust to either full stiff or full soft. Since then my gravity skills and chunk riding skills and speed have gone way up. He goes, "You aren't on a BMX bike anymore. This isn't the track!"

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Yea it blows. My friend Brian ran the Instagram page and most of the other stuff with posh.
I wish I got the opportunity to ride there, or even see it.
I've seen Catty but was without my bike when I was there. Work trip.
Looks like I need to make an effort to go ride Catty now before the airport finally decides they want that land also.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
I just got back into MTBing. I’m out 2-3 times a week. Mostly riding out in Palos but since I travel around Chicago all day I keep the bike in the van with me. I was able to ride SawWeeKee out in Oswego today.

I’ve had the new bike for a few weeks now. Still getting used to it but starting to feel really good on the bike. I’m also an old BMXer so all my previous MTB frames were small because I was used to hucking small bikes around. This is probably the first bike that has been properly sized for my size ( 6’5”). I am XXL Nukeproof scout comp

Also, I’ll be getting my old as back into some BMX. I registered my son and I for a few week new to BMX program at the hill in Elgin. I just got Wyatt his first real BMX and he’s digging it.

AE8DF39E-9E9C-4E21-B6C6-8ADFCB539F56.jpeg

6D9F0367-9A07-4BDD-9C37-CDDF03DB5901.jpeg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I just got back into MTBing. I’m out 2-3 times a week. Mostly riding out in Palos but since I travel around Chicago all day I keep the bike in the van with me. I was able to ride SawWeeKee out in Oswego today.

I’ve had the new bike for a few weeks now. Still getting used to it but starting to feel really good on the bike. I’m also an old BMXer so all my previous MTB frames were small because I was used to hucking small bikes around. This is probably the first bike that has been properly sized for my size ( 6’5”). I am XXL Nukeproof scout comp

Also, I’ll be getting my old as back into some BMX. I registered my son and I for a few week new to BMX program at the hill in Elgin. I just got Wyatt his first real BMX and he’s digging it.

View attachment 166926

View attachment 166927

Dude let me know when you are at The Hill. I should be up there this week on Thursday for gate practice.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Dude let me know when you are at The Hill. I should be up there this week on Thursday for gate practice.
I’ll be up there next Wednesday June 28th for an introductory class . I’ll have to see what the schedule looks like for this week. Maybe I can get up there Thursday for some practice.
I’ll let you know!

Reactions: SirMarco

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
SirMarco SirMarco hit up The Hill today. My kid had a blast riding out there so we registered him for the beginner summer league. The races for that are on Wednesday nights. I’ll be riding too. I think I’ll start taking Thursday nights off in July so we can make it to some practice days too. Hopefully I can run into you.
I dusted off my old specialized P1 dirt jumper tonight and showed the little man dad still has some skills.
Also, I really need to get a bike rack. I have the roof rails on the Pacifica but I really like the tray style racks that mount to a trailer hitch receiver. If need to install one of those but if anyone hear has recommendations for a decent rack that isn’t $1000 I’m all ears.

403BE3CE-BC34-47E8-A0AD-B8E4BC6D8E07.jpeg

8D122EFD-41A0-4F47-A2BB-90F8AE124255.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3295.MOV
    24.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    9.8 MB · Views: 0

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Did an adventure in chain waxing today. Bought a new SRAM 11 speed chain, 3 shaking baths in mineral spirits with 2 of them soaking over 6 hours, then 2 rounds in denatured alcohol. Dipped in the molton speed wax at 200 degrees and hung to dry. Hoping it keeps the drivetrain nice and clean. Was using Squirt wax based lube before and it was still tacky and attracted a lot of dust. Each 1/2 pound brick of wax is supposed to do 4 training chains and it’s supposed to last 300ish miles depending on conditions.

IMG_9186.jpeg

IMG_9187.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg

572 miles on Squirt lube riding dry dusty gravel. Cleaning all this gunk off the chain ring, cassette and derailleur pulleys with mineral spirits was a pain in the ass.

IMG_9182.jpeg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I love a good overkill process. I don’t need the 10 watts or whatever it saves, but I get to watching that zero friction cycling channel and am sold. I have 2 chains now too so the next one will be waxed and ready to go when this one gets dirty, noisy, or hits 200 miles.

These power links being “one time use” kind of sucks for what they cost. I used my last one… 3 times removing it with the park pliers and it seemed to be fine.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
SirMarco SirMarco hit up The Hill today. My kid had a blast riding out there so we registered him for the beginner summer league. The races for that are on Wednesday nights. I’ll be riding too. I think I’ll start taking Thursday nights off in July so we can make it to some practice days too. Hopefully I can run into you.
I dusted off my old specialized P1 dirt jumper tonight and showed the little man dad still has some skills.
Also, I really need to get a bike rack. I have the roof rails on the Pacifica but I really like the tray style racks that mount to a trailer hitch receiver. If need to install one of those but if anyone hear has recommendations for a decent rack that isn’t $1000 I’m all ears.

View attachment 168502

View attachment 168504
Awesome. I'm going to try and get out Thursday for gate practice if I can.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Any of you guys ride Atwood in Rockford? A buddy and I went out there Monday morning to put in some miles. For sure not the most difficult place to ride. All the hill climbs were mellow, which was good. Overall it was a pretty fun place to ride if you want to get some miles in pretty quick. We found one really steep climb and a decent downhill section that you can bounce through logs and tree roots.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
What sealant are you guys using tubeless brethren? I ordered new wheels and have decided which tires I’m leaving on the bike 99% or the time so I’m ready to make the switch. I was all set to go with Stan’s, but I see it doesn’t perform as well as orange seal in puncture tests. What I don’t like about Orange is the 30-45 day service interval vs. 2-7 months for Stan’s. If it’s just a matter of topping them off every 30-45 days that’s fine, if I need to break the bead and clean out and replace every 30-45 days that seems excessive.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Stans bloooows.
Finish line just turns to a glob that doesn’t do anything.
Mucoff somehow doesn’t seal even small holes.

Orange seal ftw. I’ve finished a ride and noticed my bike having a few spots of sealant on it. Punctured, sealed and didn’t lose enough air to notice.

A runner up is bontrager sealant. Somehow it’s decent, it’s also FULL of glitter

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
IMG_9496.jpeg

IMG_9353.jpeg

IMG_9354.jpeg

Got Roval Terra CL’s (DT Swiss 350’s straight pull, 36t) mounted up with the regular Orange Seal in my 43c Panaracer gravelking SS+’s. I like these tires for the mix of pavement and low grade gravel I do. Anything slippery though and they are sketchy. Hit a mud patch in a curve the other day and am amazed how fast I got unclipped to dab a foot. I thought I’d be considerably faster overall on these carbon wheels but I haven’t really noticed that. Climbing and accelerating absolutely but overall speed not so much. My average is up maybe 1mph or so. The hub buzz is fun though. I’m also pretty sure I have a knee injury. Something’s moving around in the front of my left knee that doesn’t in the right. I rode 75 miles a few weeks ago, with 25 miles the night before, and it started screaming around 55 miles and I just pushed through like an idiot. It hasn’t really been the same since. Still playing with saddle height and have a +20 offset post coming as my 0 offset is maxed out, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t bike fit related as my right knee feels great.

• Love
Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i have my 1997 gt interceptor still. it's mainly sentimental as fuck for me

and like a 2001? dk six pack.
1698320875854.png

I aired them up yesterday and holy fuck am i huge. i felt like a fucking gorilla on a toy.

i'm gonna clean them up this winter though... the rust on the chrome of them must have come from something vapor-wise in my shed at my last house... it comes off with basically a finger nail scratch just easy as shit and the chrome isn't pitted so im pumped to get them cleaned up and would love to have my kids ride them some day.

Thread Info