Sports MTB Madness!

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
So I bought two bikes in three days. Iā€™ve wanted a Fairdale Taj for cruising around the neighborhood and to local stores for awhile now since I drive to a bunch of places in our neighborhood that are within a mile of our house. They were really hard to find last year and by the time a local shop got one it was January and I had lost interest. My wife was also not on board because she has no bikes and I have technically 3 I guess. I got the wife a Fairdale Ridgemont in purple rain for Christmas so we can go for casual bike rides next year. I wanted to get her something simple that I wouldnā€™t have to worry about adjusting or her bending rotors on and this fit the bill. The color is really cool.

D6C27B66-25BC-4C76-9B1A-6A21BA359E1C.jpeg

So since the stipulation was that I couldnā€™t get anymore bikes until she got a bike, and I assembled her bike yesterday, I started looking at Tajā€™s again. They retail for $739, but I found one on flatlandfuel of all places for $629 this morning. I was going to wait until spring, but I canā€™t pass up a good deal and ordered it on the spot.

F4C05CE7-7FE4-4D46-9128-5823209924BD.jpeg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I forgot to post this up after I finished it. It's been done about two months now I'd say. Maybe a bit longer. The bike rides amazing. I'm taking it to Rays in Ohio this weekend.

FRAME: Standard Byke Co. DJ
FORK: Marzoochi Bomber DJ
RIMS: Inferno 33
HUBS: Profile Elite DJ SS
CRANKS: Profile Elite DJ
HEADSET: Chris King
PEDALS: Deity
BARS: Deity
STEM: Deity
SEAT & SEATPOST: Kink
GRIPS: ODI
BRAKES: Shimano XT
TIRES: Maxxis DTH

1.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So I bought two bikes in three days. Iā€™ve wanted a Fairdale Taj for cruising around the neighborhood and to local stores for awhile now since I drive to a bunch of places in our neighborhood that are within a mile of our house. They were really hard to find last year and by the time a local shop got one it was January and I had lost interest. My wife was also not on board because she has no bikes and I have technically 3 I guess. I got the wife a Fairdale Ridgemont in purple rain for Christmas so we can go for casual bike rides next year. I wanted to get her something simple that I wouldnā€™t have to worry about adjusting or her bending rotors on and this fit the bill. The color is really cool.

View attachment 107023

So since the stipulation was that I couldnā€™t get anymore bikes until she got a bike, and I assembled her bike yesterday, I started looking at Tajā€™s again. They retail for $739, but I found one on flatlandfuel of all places for $629 this morning. I was going to wait until spring, but I canā€™t pass up a good deal and ordered it on the spot.

View attachment 107026
The big wheeled BMX bikes are so fucking cool. I still want to grab a Fit Series 22 or Redline Asset 24. Now that I live in Des Plaines, there is a pretty sweet park a few blocks from me.

Reactions: Rent Free

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
The big wheeled BMX bikes are so fucking cool. I still want to grab a Fit Series 22 or Redline Asset 24. Now that I live in Des Plaines, there is a pretty sweet park a few blocks from me.

Do it man. I will say look into a DJ at this point. More and more parks are opening up that you could ride it at all while keeping your BMX roots alive.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
DJ? Like your Standard? I just saw the Fit jumped to $700... :angrys00ls:

DJ (Dirt Jumper). But yeah like my Standard. There are a bunch of companies making them now that will not break the bank.
Specialized P3
Haro Steel Reserve
Airborn (DK Bicycles)
Polygon
There are more also that all come pretty stacked for the price. The Haro and the Airborn will be your best bang for your buck coming in around $1000ish.
They are such a universal bike. BMX race, BMX trails, skateparks, mountain trails, street ride, pump track, if you are up to it even the down hill places in the midwest.

Reactions: Lead Pipe

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I forgot to post this up after I finished it. It's been done about two months now I'd say. Maybe a bit longer. The bike rides amazing. I'm taking it to Rays in Ohio this weekend.

FRAME: Standard Byke Co. DJ
FORK: Marzoochi Bomber DJ
RIMS: Inferno 33
HUBS: Profile Elite DJ SS
CRANKS: Profile Elite DJ
HEADSET: Chris King
PEDALS: Deity
BARS: Deity
STEM: Deity
SEAT & SEATPOST: Kink
GRIPS: ODI
BRAKES: Shimano XT
TIRES: Maxxis DTH

View attachment 107027

Thatā€™s such a nice setup. Without sponsor hookups I imagine that would be even more $$$$.

This was absolutely a ā€œthatā€™s coolā€ purchase and Iā€™ll ride it around the neighborhood to justify having it22 is weird to me. It doesnā€™t seem like a big enough difference from 20ā€ to be more stable like a cruiser. I have a fairly newish 21ā€ TT S&M Hucker for anything jumps related. I want to check out that pump track at Big Marsh next year.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Thatā€™s such a nice setup. Without sponsor hookups I imagine that would be even more $$$$.

It still cost a shit ton. Basically the frame was my biggest savings. Everything else was on me. I'd have to wait to long if I went through hook ups and what not. Parts are so hard to come by at the moment. Talking months and months for stuff to come in, if not longer. I haven't built a bike from the ground up in a long time. And I'm at a point in my life that I could build it how I wanted without having to worry a lot about cost.

Reactions: DanJ

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
This was absolutely a ā€œthatā€™s coolā€ purchase and Iā€™ll ride it around the neighborhood to justify having it22 is weird to me. It doesnā€™t seem like a big enough difference from 20ā€ to be more stable like a cruiser. I have a fairly newish 21ā€ TT S&M Hucker for anything jumps related. I want to check out that pump track at Big Marsh next year.
That's kind of the point of a 22". It's supposed to feel like a 20" BMX bike but less cramped. The 24" and bigger bikes definitely feel more mountain bikey. I can't decide what I like better whish is half the reason I haven't bought one. Now that the Fit jumped $200 I think I'm leaning back to the Redline.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
That's kind of the point of a 22". It's supposed to feel like a 20" BMX bike but less cramped. The 24" and bigger bikes definitely feel more mountain bikey. I can't decide what I like better whish is half the reason I haven't bought one. Now that the Fit jumped $200 I think I'm leaning back to the Redline.

DK General Lee 22" is another pretty rad bike. Verde makes one as well.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
DK General Lee 22" is another pretty rad bike. Verde makes one as well.
There are a few good 22's out these days. GT just came out with the Fueler 22 and WTP Audio get's a lot of good reviews. I'm kind of back to leaning towards a 24. Like Dan said, the 22 isn't drastically different. Are there any decent BMX bikes shops around anymore??

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
There are a few good 22's out these days. GT just came out with the Fueler 22 and WTP Audio get's a lot of good reviews. I'm kind of back to leaning towards a 24. Like Dan said, the 22 isn't drastically different. Are there any decent BMX bikes shops around anymore??

Shops, not many anymore. Let's Roast in Chicago. Mudslingers in Plano but that's about it. Let's Roast would be your better choice for anything in stock.
Village Pedaler in South Elgin has stuff in stock from time to time. They are a GT dealer also .

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
This tread has been dead since December.
Who all has been out riding this year? I've been riding a ton already. BMX every couple weeks at the track in Elgin, 2+X a week riding Raceway and Andres Woods. I was at opening weekend at LIttle Swiss in Slinger, WI. I'll be there this Saturday riding with a few buddies as well. I took a trip down to Bentonville, AR for a 4 day riding vacation. Man, if you are into mountain biking do yourself a favor and plan a trip to Bentonville.
Just had our trip booked for September to drive out to Killington, VT to ride and watch the US Open of Downhill.

A couple pics from Bentonville.
279194334_10160258815379349_3476072174039361449_n.jpg
280266525_10160271539699349_1266168576526564532_n.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This tread has been dead since December.
Who all has been out riding this year? I've been riding a ton already. BMX every couple weeks at the track in Elgin, 2+X a week riding Raceway and Andres Woods. I was at opening weekend at LIttle Swiss in Slinger, WI. I'll be there this Saturday riding with a few buddies as well. I took a trip down to Bentonville, AR for a 4 day riding vacation. Man, if you are into mountain biking do yourself a favor and plan a trip to Bentonville.
Just had our trip booked for September to drive out to Killington, VT to ride and watch the US Open of Downhill.

A couple pics from Bentonville.
View attachment 121949View attachment 121950
I've been riding, but it's all been paved trail and crushed limestone. I don't have the type of bike to do any of that. Probably don't have the balls either LOL.

Friend of mine and his son do a lot of the BMX racing in Elgin (the Hill?), but I've never been up there to see it or him. If you're there for the competitions, and I guess practice, look for a 50 year old Vietnamese guy with a 10 year old (or so) that is taller than his dad.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I've been riding, but it's all been paved trail and crushed limestone. I don't have the type of bike to do any of that. Probably don't have the balls either LOL.

Friend of mine and his son do a lot of the BMX racing in Elgin (the Hill?), but I've never been up there to see it or him. If you're there for the competitions, and I guess practice, look for a 50 year old Vietnamese guy with a 10 year old (or so) that is taller than his dad.
What's his name, I may know him??

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Bentonville is supposed to be real awesome. Thanks Walmart!
If you haven't gone do it. The Walton's have dumps millions and millions of dollars into everything down there and it's not slowing down anytime soon. And it's not just Bentonville, it's the surrounding areas as well. The plan is basically have trails from the MO/AR boarder to Fayetteville.

Thread Info