MTB Madness!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Got a flat, hit the bike shop.
This Specialized was Sweeeet. A bit out of my price range. Marked down to $5100 from $7100

View attachment 72656

That looks like a nice one.
I'll be in the market for a new bike probably next year.
I ride pretty much 100% off road, but to get to the dirt / limestone trails, I must ride on paved bike trails. All the trails are very well maintained.
I have an MTB now, but was thinking about replacing it with one of those new gravel bikes. I want something a bit lighter and faster, which will be better for maintained trails, but still can do dirty duty if necessary. What do you guys think?

A couple years ago when I needed new tires, I decided to get the Schwalbe Land Cruiser tires in a narrower 1.75. They have a solid center tread for smoother surfaces, but also have a knobs on the sides for cornering on looser material. They work very well and are Kevlar lined. Ever since I got them, I haven't had a single flat. I used to get two or three flats a year before these tires.

Reactions: Spivitz

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Got wood on the Tweetsie
20201114_105607.jpg
20201114_105943.jpg
20201114_112350.jpg
20201114_112655.jpg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
This is an open invite to anyone wanting to ride this winter.
Jan 29-31 there is a big crew of us heading to Rays in Clevelnad, OH.
The plan is to leave Friday. Ride all day Saturday. Come home Sunday.
I'm leaving mid morning Friday to pick up my buddy and his kid on the way.
If you haven't been to Ray's, it's pretty awesome. There is everything from very, very beginner up through advanced riding. They also have a skatepark inside, jump room and a few pump tracks.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Bob Kazamakis ilikemtb999

Do you have any recommendations on a bike resistance trainer? I am not looking to spend a ton, but something that is solid, works with a mountain bike. It doesn't need to have any frills.
What’s not a ton? Probably something that uses your rear wheel is what you’re after and probably a good idea to get a smooth tire then. Also probably super hard to find something new honestly.

Basically they go air/wind - magnetic - fluid as far as good better best. Air is loud but cheap, magnetic doesn’t have nearly as good adjustable resistance and fluid is best though I’ve seen complaints of leaks.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Reactions: Yaj Yak

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
i have no idea why i think this is kinda neat but i think it's kinda neat.

Kind of weird that it has gears. I’ve had my finger on the trigger for a big wheel BMX bike for two years now. Covid shortage last year was the only thing that kept me from getting one.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Finally snagged a matching wheel set to replace the garbage bin wheels that came on the Boundary (yes yes I know, Schwinn. Sue me, all I could find last year but supposedly the frame is actually pretty fucking awesome for being a cheapo Walmart bike).

Get them and they have an HG hub (totally normal). Go to pull the group set off the old wheels and it's some stepped style of hub and nothing matches. So now I have a Box Three Prime9 group set coming. Thing is reminding me of my younger years fucking around with my BMX bike every god damn week. :rofl:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
This fucking bike has made me rediscover my love for biking. Just tinkering with this thing brings back memories. I foresee a full squish in my future once I start getting my stamina back up.

Got the Box Three Prime9 installed and ran into the issue of the derailleur hanger being bent so only certain gears would shift smoothly and quietly depending on how much tension was on the shifter. Bought an alignment tool and now this thing shifts and rides like a dream. The range on this cassette is ridiculous. I never felt like I needed a higher gear for climbing nor was a lower gear holding my speed back because I couldn’t pedal fast enough. Well worth the $190.

I’m now easily $500 or so into this Walmart bike and thinking about a new fork. :rofl: But honestly, I feel like the stuff I’ve done makes it well worth a “low end” Trek or Giant or any other known brand in which I’d spend $500-700 anyway.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Thread Info