MS Office Gripe Thread

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That fact that they're so "permanent" about it is what is frustrating. At least make it optional/dragable back to where you're used to it and where it isn't wasting space.
Yeah I've opened mine up to see it organized goofy out of nowhere, but I've always just been able to change the view parameters and get it normal again.

When I realized this was permanent and unmodifiable.....the horror

• Angry
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Is anyone OCD about their spreadsheets? We had to make one for our system testing and have it in teams to use. I painstakingly make sure everything looks good, boarders all set and everything is uniform.

Then come the people that type things at the top, then click that little square of life and death and DRAG THAT BITCH TO THE MOON!! Thus making all the thick top exterior boarder show up in every god damn cell. So once everyone is done inputting their data, I have to go through and redo all that shit cause I am not turning in a spreadsheet, useless or otherwise, looking like a fucking 13 year old’s my first excel sheet project.
I wouldn't say I'm OCD, but I like the look to be consistent and professional. I'd create nice looking sheets and my former manager would go in and just copy/paste (including formatting) data into cells. Now you have a dozen different fonts being used, all different sizes, etc.

During a call where I was presenting I saw how bad my sheet had become. So with VP's and SVP's on the call I went and started to fix it. Former manager asked me what I was doing. I said "My name is on this sheet, I'm putting the formatting back to how it was when I delivered it to you." Oh, the nasty look I got.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I wouldn't say I'm OCD, but I like the look to be consistent and professional. I'd create nice looking sheets and my former manager would go in and just copy/paste (including formatting) data into cells. Now you have a dozen different fonts being used, all different sizes, etc.

During a call where I was presenting I saw how bad my sheet had become. So with VP's and SVP's on the call I went and started to fix it. Former manager asked me what I was doing. I said "My name is on this sheet, I'm putting the formatting back to how it was when I delivered it to you." Oh, the nasty look I got.
Managers like that get pdf's or tables copy/pasted as images lol

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Managers like that get pdf's or tables copy/pasted as images lol
Yes! I do that too.

"Why can't I edit this table?"

Because it is now a rasterized image.

"Why"

So you can't go and make a mess of all the hard work that I did.

Like Fish Fish said, I have a few coworkers that leave borders in every cell. Some are thin, double thickness, etc. All over the place. Unless you're needing to intentionally separate or differentiate those cells for a reason, don't do that. It just makes it really hard to read. I don't need a 3pt black border around every cell for 8,000 rows and 15 columns. Just use the default gridlines, it's what they're for.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yes! I do that too.

"Why can't I edit this table?"

Because it is now a rasterized image.

"Why"

So you can't go and make a mess of all the hard work that I did.

Like Fish Fish said, I have a few coworkers that leave borders in every cell. Some are thin, double thickness, etc. All over the place. Unless you're needing to intentionally separate or differentiate those cells for a reason, don't do that. It just makes it really hard to read. I don't need a 3pt black border around every cell for 8,000 rows and 15 columns. Just use the default gridlines, it's what they're for.
My boss is basically the only person i'll send a complete file to because he's good with data, everyone else gets tables pasted as images in an email. Zero benefit to giving them modifiable data

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Here's a totally different gripe. Enable dark mode in Azure. Go to "topology" in any of your environments. Text is fucking black. Change font color from #000000 to #FFFFFF and they STILL fuck that up. It's been like this literally forever.

View attachment 143375
Holy shit that this is bad.

*designed by a developer that's never used it in a real-world application.

We would get stuff like that for our proprietary software. It was done by developers that didn't get any input from someone that would actually being using it. Big complaint was that you had to move various components through stages, going from low level to high (all your components separate, then build them into a single piece). Each page for each stage looked identical. All the icons used for each component in each stage were the same. So when looking at the page you had no idea which stage you were in, or which component you were looking it. Mass confusion.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My boss is basically the only person i'll send a complete file to because he's good with data, everyone else gets tables pasted as images in an email. Zero benefit to giving them modifiable data

Only problem is the sheet I said in question is used by people at multiple sites for equipment testing. I’m not filling everything out. It’s mean to be fill out your portion and we submit it. However everyone just copy pastes or drags the box to just auto copy everything and the sheet looks like trash.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Outlook crashed for no reason, but not to worry guize the crack team at microsoft has the solution, BUT IT'S ONLY FOR THOSE that speak both dutch and english and prefer to alternate languages every other sentence

Obv I have never done anything on this computer in another language, especially not dutch lol

1672952736904.png

1672952758578.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Another week, another perfectly formatted testing sheet turned into a cats asshole cause people are lazy and copy/paste or use the small square in the bottom right corner and drag it to the depths of hell.
Was it cat crusty butt? It was some cat crusty butt, wasn't it? Ol' pencil sharpener left some shavings around the orifice, didn't it?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I mean, if you saw you fucked up the formatting of an excel sheet with your copy/paste, wouldnt you undo it and curse under your breath and fill it out to look normal?

If people cant have pride on how a damn excel sheet looks, how am I to believe they are proud of any other work they do? Am I seriously crazy for thinking like this and my OCD is probably just off the charts?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I mean, if you saw you fucked up the formatting of an excel sheet with your copy/paste, wouldnt you undo it and curse under your breath and fill it out to look normal?

If people cant have pride on how a damn excel sheet looks, how am I to believe they are proud of any other work they do? Am I seriously crazy for thinking like this and my OCD is probably just off the charts?
Nope, not crazy, not even a perfectionist. Just someone that wants consistency and some mediocre professionalism.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

Nope, you should've seen some templates I got back from our construction project managers for budget a few weeks ago. They looked like 3 year old's oragami, half completed. This is even after having three training sessions, me doing them with some of them and then handing it off, and the construction VP reviewing before sending it back to me.

These aren't actual construction techs out in the field all day building shit and then have to come in and complete these, these are the higher level project managers that are bidding on jobs making proposals and running the job... It is fucking maddening.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
But I did notice an update in Teams. When I gave a co-worker a thumbs up just now, it changed where it put it. It now puts it below the text box. It used to be on top.
Cracks me up that when you get a reaction in a teams chat, it gives you a notification in the "activity" tab that means you have to click out of the chat to see it lol. Like I can see the reaction right here in chat, and when I see a notification in "activity" I assume I missed a call, but nope instead they're just notifying you of something you've already seen. KYS microsoft

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Cracks me up that when you get a reaction in a teams chat, it gives you a notification in the "activity" tab that means you have to click out of the chat to see it lol. Like I can see the reaction right here in chat, and when I see a notification in "activity" I assume I missed a call, but nope instead they're just notifying you of something you've already seen. KYS microsoft
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes....

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Annoying as shit.

Also, *If* you have Teams on your phone, if someone calls and you miss it, the notification won't clear even if you go to the calls menu and click on it to acknowledge it. It won't clear until you clear ALL notifications on your phone. At least on my Android anyway.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not so much a gripe, but something else I noticed in Excel with this update.

On your horizontal and vertical scroll bars, if you click them and drag them up/down or lefet/right, they turn green as you do it... Why? What was the issue that this was needed as an improvement?

What I wish they'd add back was the double tab arrow (left and right) that immediately took you to the first tab or last tab in the workbook. I know you can right mouse click on the arrows and then select which tab you want to go to, but I used that double arrow one all the time. With workbooks with 100's of tabs in them, it makes life so much easier.

Thread Info