MS Office Gripe Thread

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Keyboard warriors and office monkeys, vent your frustrations here. MS office does some of the dumbest shit, and it's like it only gets worse and even the most obvious stuff just never gets fixed.

1. MS Outlook Search Function - What the FUCK. Since about 6-8 months ago, any time I search something, it returns the "top 3 results", never in chronological order, and normally they're terrible results. Then it shows you a bunch of garbage from random senders that may or may not have your search keyword. I'm frequently searching by sender, so I ignore the top 3 results, click on an email from that sender and sort by name, but then it automatically takes me to the top of the search results (sender with the last name "A"). It also omits emails that I know I received, did not delete, and that have my search keyword.

2. Skype. Join conference, window pops up for the meeting, then I get an error that says "Skype needs to adjust the audio, are you in the meeting?". MF I don't know, you tell me, I got this error the second that the meeting notice opened

More to come

Reactions: Yaj Yak

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
MS Teams. You know what this "1" notification is for? A missed call from 5/7. I've clicked on that missed call, spoken to that person a bunch of times through Teams since then, but still I have a notification. What's even more dumb is that I missed another call yesterday, but the notification didn't increase to "2". If you're going to be dumb, at least be consistently dumb

1589466003472.png

1589466094068.png

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i think you can turn off top results. i had to, worst fucking shit they ever did. their search is fucking TERRRRRIBLE
I legitimately can not, for the life of me, understand two things:

1. How is their search function so fucking terrible
2. How does it only get worse with time. This is the simplest shit ever. Search for a keyword, return ALL results with that keyword, and auto-sort by SOMETHING, ANYTHING, JUST SORT. Don't give me a random assortment of results with names and dates scattered all over the place. And if I click on an email and sort on a field, leave that fucking email selected and take me to it after the sort, don't take me to neverland and make me scroll back through to find the email I had selected 3 seconds ago

Another thing that started happening recently is that I can't always use the spacebar in the MS outlook quick search. Doesn't happen every time, and when it does I need to close it and restart it and it works. Fucking seriously

First world problems I know

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Since I don't have anything particularly effective to contribute, the search function(s) is one of the reason I'll print the doc to PDF and use Acrobat Pro to do my searches. Sometimes if I am feeling brave enough I'll use MS's PDF Export instead so it captures the structure for jumping to listed sections.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The "are you in the meeting prompt" means "Are you in the same room as the meeting?" so it mutes your microphone and your sound so you don't get the reverb from all the boomers doing the same thing. THat's actually a really nice feature so the old fucks don't sit there screaming at each other "WHO HAS THEIR SOUND AND MIC OPEN EVERYONE MUTE OH GOD ITSGETTINGLOUDERQUICKLYTURNITOFFWHOWERTIWEFTYOGB5TRVUT"

Don't even get me fucking started on Microshittinydick Office. The fucking retarded decisions they make like axing OneNote to turn it into a Win10 app then rescinding their decision because people blew the fuck up about it. Then arbitrarily moving shit, like the search bar is now at the TOP of the window IN the menu bar instead of directly above the mail box. Forcing their shitty Teams solution because they literally fucked Skype and it's entire ecosystem up the ass using sand as lube with a cactus so they just threw their hands up and said "LETS START OVER FROM SCRATCH AND HAVE COMPETING PRODUCTS WITH COUSINFUCKING INTEROPERABILITY THAT HALF WORKS." The constant fucking issues where Office in its ENTIRETY stop working unless you run the "Update Now" button every fucking week. Outlook RANDOMLY losing it's head to the O365 servers and prompting people to input their password 500 times before they finally call me just to tell them to do the above.

And I've started.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Anything that is Microsoft software recently has been dog shit. Search is crap on EVERYTHING, not just outlook. Windows 10 its garbage too.

Teams and its brother Skype is shit, One note is trash, Excel has its moments, Ribbons on fucking everything.

The only thing they have done right recently is hardware IMO, Xbox and Surface Pro are solid pieces.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I also like how when I open MS teams, the first thing that pops up is the discussion/activity log from a meeting I had a week ago, it gives me the option to join. Like what the fuck

This isn't even an issue with the call quality or anything like that, those I understand may be difficult to fix, but this is just stupid programming in the app itself

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Had an issue with Outlook when using IMAP to get my personal e-mail.
For some reason, I could only send / receive once or twice before the send / receive process would get "stuck" and never finish. After it got stuck, closing Outlook wouldn't really close it and you could still see it running in task manager. Killing the Outlook process and then starting Outlook back up wouldn't fix the issue. Send / receive still would get stuck and only a full reboot of the computer would temporarily fix the issue. After a reboot I could send / receive at least one or two more times after that until the whole BS started again. Deleting all mail profiles and re-setting up the profile with IMAP didn't work either.

After a shitload of research and testing, I found that disabling the "graphics hardware acceleration" option in the advanced Outlook settings fixed the problem. What in the ever loving fuck graphics hardware acceleration has to do with sending and receiving e-mail in Outlook is a mystery. I assume graphics hardware acceleration is for using the hardware features of your video processor to speed up window rendering and graphics display. Most other apps have this feature and never have an issue. How it can fuck up the IMAP processing in Outlook is an issue that Microsoft can't figure out since apparently the issue has been around for years and there is still no fix for it. Never had an issue with ActiveSync though.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'm an IT nerd and I'm confounded on why Teams needs as much memory that it uses for no fucking reason.

Another telemetry, data harvesting pile of dogshit.

My new issue is EVEN WITH TEAMS FUCKING FOCUSED. THE MAIN SCREEN AND ONLY SCREEN ON MY DISPLAY. It WILL NOT alert me that people have been messaging me. I literally have to move my mouse around/swap chats for it to update.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm an IT nerd and I'm confounded on why Teams needs as much memory that it uses for no fucking reason.

Another telemetry, data harvesting pile of dogshit.

My new issue is EVEN WITH TEAMS FUCKING FOCUSED. THE MAIN SCREEN AND ONLY SCREEN ON MY DISPLAY. It WILL NOT alert me that people have been messaging me. I literally have to move my mouse around/swap chats for it to update.
I remember before skype was officially nix'd and both were on my computer, it was awful. The fan ran allllll damn day loud AF and they used well over a gig combined even when you weren't actively doing anything.

I really do not understand two things:
1. HOW does microsoft fuck up simple things this bad, forever, literally never making it any better (word, outlook search, etc). Word LITERALLY only needs to function as a digital typewriter and still they can't figure out how to make it so it's not a clunky piece of shit.
2. Why hasn't MS office's competition (like google) become more mainstream? Seems like google doesn't even care to take over this market.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
why the fuck does teams take up so much memory, i'm not even using it right now. I'll have to take another look at it during the next video call, usage has to be sky-high during a call.

View attachment 105689
yup. I manually restart it throughout the day POS

• Angry
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Teams is a resource hog. It can be a nightmare on terminal/RDS servers. I think its the way Teams was written, it just offloads a lot to system memory. You can try disabling GPU hardware acceleration in the settings, also disable any Teams add-ons you don't use to free up some memory.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One thing that they took away from Excel in later versions (maybe it's back in the latest ones, but most companies are 1 - 2 versions behind TBH, so bear with me), is the ability to go to the begining or or end of tabs with one click. It looked like a play/pause button. I liked that because generally any worksheet I have, has a ton of tabs, especially as I drill in to things further (which then creates another tab), So zipping back and forth was easy. Now you either have to move your tabs constantly so they're next to one another, or endure scrolling of the arrow button through all the tabs. The three "..." don't always work correctly.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Oh, on our teams, lets say I'm chatting with someone and they ask me for some information, which I have in Excel, A can't just copy and past as a picture in to teams (like I could in an email) for some fucking reason. It looks retarded. I have to use the MS snipping tool to take a picture of it, then paste it in. Again, that could be on our end. Just annoying as fuck

Thread Info