Mr. Clean Auto Dry uses acid on your car

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Now that I have your attention... As some of you know, I have a power washing business. I recently tried Mr. Clean Auto Dry and I tested the PH of the soap. It came back as around a 4 which is too acidic for my liking. Ideally you want your car paint cleaning products to be around a 6-8. When diluted with water the number is closer to a 6 but still slightly acidic. Acids brighten, alkalines cut grease. The lower the number, the stronger the acidity. The higher the number, the stronger the alkalinity.

I would suggest being careful with Mr Clean's soap.

Attachments

• test 1.jpg
    test 1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,222
  • test 2.jpg
    test 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,449

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Science projects... how I miss them. Where is your control Cliff? Water should have been your control!!! jk... thanks for the information, that was very interesting.

I use the detailer spray only when needed, what exactly did that come up as? Cliff are you sure that you don't have your numbers bacwards? I can't exactly read the numbers to colors, but if simple green is bluish green and I know that has acid, then the detailer spray should be fine... can you confirm the numbers and the reading?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Here's a pic of water being tested for PH. I've done so many of these PH tests on soaps and chemicals for work that I just assume that water is a 7. Water usually tests out somewhere right around 7 depending on additives.

I was a little surprised to see that the Meguiars is as acidic as it is. It's a little hard to tell from the pic but in person it looks like between a 5-6 reading. I'm sure that the acidity helps the Meguiars shine. You should be OK with using the Meguiars just don't spray it on the car, leave it on without wiping, and let it sit all day in the sun. I get much stronger acid and alkaline readings from some of the cleaning chemicals I test. I've seen readings at both ends of the scale. A couple of points up or down from 7 is relatively mild. The 4 I got with the Mr. Clean is comparable to the ratings I have gotten from bargain basement gallons of soap from Auto Zone.

Jack, to test I dip the test strip in the product [or spray product on the strip] and let it sit for 15 seconds. The readings can get screwy if you let the strips sit for much longer than a minute. I took the pictures within 30 seconds of dipping/spraying the strips. I coated each strip with product, set it down, and coated the next strip so that all were coated within 15-20 seconds of each other. Then I waited around 15 seconds more before I took the pics.

Victor, Simple Green is alkaline. All alkaline grease cutting products will show a green or blue reading. The further you get from 7 in either direction, the stronger the cleaning power will be [and the more dangerous the chemical is]. Most companies use mild alkalines because of the grease cutting power and because acids will harm glass and aluminum faster than alkalines will. The main advantage to using an acidic product is the brightening effect an acid will produce. Acids are also a little easier to rinse off which helps prevent the spotting.

Painter, I have found that my California blade has really softened up since I use it often. I always wipe the windshield first to get the blade moistened. I run my fingers or a towel over the blade after wiping the windshield to make sure there aren't any little pieces of grit adhering to the edges. No problems with scratches from the blade that I can see.

Attachments

• test 3.jpg
    test 3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 999

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
CobraSusie said:
I can't believe quik detailer has an acidic base :dunno:

The test strips don't lie. Quik Detailer is only mildly acidic... anything between a 5 and a 9 is mild. 4s and 10s might affect your wax, however. I use acids for truck washing all the time. The best cleaning method for truck washing [other than brushing] first uses an alkaline cleaner to degrease followed by an acid cleaner to shine. Of course, most trucks have no wax to start with so I don't have to worry about stripping it off.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
CobraSusie said:
I can't believe quik detailer has an acidic base :dunno:

Actually all the touchless car washes do too.

I asked a Meguires rep that was doing a demo once if "touchless" or a "all cloth" car wash was better for my daily driver. His answer was the touchless is better since you don't have to worry about the system picking up anything abrasive from the car that went through before you, but you have to wax more often with the touchless car wash because the chemical used in the pre-wash cycle is very acidic and removes wax.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
PETSNKE said:
but you have to wax more often with the touchless car wash because the chemical used in the pre-wash cycle is very acidic and removes wax.

Thanks for that 411, guess I never thought about that... everytime I go through the touchless I stare at the pretty colors and wish my car smelled like the chemicals all day... is this normal? Gotta call my psychiatrist.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
PETSNKE said:
Actually all the touchless car washes do too.

I asked a Meguires rep that was doing a demo once if "touchless" or a "all cloth" car wash was better for my daily driver. His answer was the touchless is better since you don't have to worry about the system picking up anything abrasive from the car that went through before you, but you have to wax more often with the touchless car wash because the chemical used in the pre-wash cycle is very acidic and removes wax.

I can't go into details on touchless car washes since I am directly involved with cleaning them for some of the major oil companies and don't want to risk losing the business. Let me just tell you guys to wash your own cars when possible... Touchless are far better on paint than brush washes but there is a lot of variation in which cleaning solutions different companies use. Ask me in person.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
i think its funny you are ok with 8 but not 4. basic is way more caustic than acidic.

Depends on what you are using bases for. 8s are pretty neutral. We use bases up to 14 at work. Acids affect glass and metal faster than bases. A base will affect a painted surface more. Pre-wetting and not letting an acid or base dry on a surface helps prevent damage. Sunlight really accellerates the damage. Either end of the PH scale can get you if you don't use a product properly. I would bet that the strength of their soap is one reason Mr. Clean says not to use it in direct sunlight.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
JSTA 46 said:
I just finished useing the Mr crap autodry car wash and it sucks! My car looked better before i washed it with this crap. This is just IMO of course.

Oops, I just did it to my car since I got a kit for Christmas and haven't tried it yet. I guess I will wax it tomorrow. Took me over an hour to get all the tire marks off of Hood, doors, fenders and rocker panels and windshield. What is it w/ Gingerman and all the tire chunks on the track, especially in turns 8 and 9?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
my tap water tests at 8 to 8.5 with tds of 180 or so, so a car wash product with a pH of 4 would work fine for me. slightly acidic is way better than slightly basic.

basic is more caustic than acidic to cars and car finishes.

i use an oakton meter to test

my car sits outside and i use the meguiars car soap to get the tree sap and bird shit off.

why am i posting to this thread again? damn guinness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info