⚡ EV Move Over Tesla: Rivian R1T Electric Pickup

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
multiple times per week isn't the cut off.

few times per year would be annoying enough to not purchase one at this current time/stage.

I guess I can argue then why have a truck? If it’s 2-3 times a year rent one.

Why own a vehicle if you are not using it for its purpose 98% of the time?

Not being a dick I’m simply asking a valid question since this is always thrown into EV discussions. So I’m turning it back and asking you

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I guess I can argue then why have a truck? If it’s 2-3 times a year rent one.

Why own a vehicle if you are not using it for its purpose 98% of the time?

Not being a dick I’m simply asking a valid question since this is always thrown into EV discussions. So I’m turning it back and asking you

okay there's definitely an area between towing many times a week and less than 98% of the time, you realize this right?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
okay there's definitely an area between towing many times a week and less than 98% of the time, you realize this right?

You said towing a few times a year would cause you to not buy this.

So I simply asked if you are not towing even 95% of the time.... figuring you tow 3 times a year why not just rent a truck? Vs owning it year round

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You said towing a few times a year would cause you to not buy this.

So I simply asked if you are not towing even 95% of the time.... figuring you tow 3 times a year why not just rent a truck? Vs owning it year round

if i take 5-6 trips per year more than 200 miles while towing something (that'd be on the very low end for me personally) it'd still more than warrant having an ICE tow vehicle over an electric one at this point.

you can't rent a truck you'd want to drive anywhere to tow with.

enterprise/hertz/etc do not allow you to tow with their vehicles. you can rent from their commercial divisions and wind up in a gasser regular cab vinyl bench seat crank window f250 but im not going to do that but more power to whoever makes that make sense. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i can't imagine having to stop every hour and a fucking half going somewhere while towing. fuck. all. of. that.

expanding on this further. my BIGGEST gripe with my truck is that it's fuel tank is only 24 gallons. while towing getting 10-12 mpg that's a range of 200- 288 miles... stopping every 2.5 to 3.5 hours fucking BLOWS when you're trying to get anywhere as it is. even if it's only for 6 minutes.

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
expanding on this further. my BIGGEST gripe with my truck is that it's fuel tank is only 24 gallons. while towing getting 10-12 mpg that's a range of 200- 288 miles... stopping every 2.5 to 3.5 hours fucking BLOWS when you're trying to get anywhere as it is. even if it's only for 6 minutes.

Used to hate that with my short bed 6.7 with the 26 gal tank.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Reactions: Outlaw

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You don’t believe it’s ever coming out?
Which one? I do believe the Rivian will come out eventually. It has plenty of investors and their money already tied into it, but I have bets that it won't be nearly good as they elude it to be. It may be a bit harsh to put "product" in quotes, but they have yet to deliver anything. ?‍♂️ The Tesla roadster obviously came and went. It was garbage, but it obviously did it's job at putting Tesla on the map and subsequently stealing the show. The Cummins semi is absolutely NOT going to be released as it was only a pretty concept that couldn't even move itself let alone a loaded trailer. ? It too did its job of getting idiots in suits to be impressed by Cummins' "vision" though. Cummins' battery program is in FULL swing.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It's so interesting to me that investors would rather pile $2.85B into Rivian than wait to see what the established car makers can do. Of course another way to look at it, the established players like Ford and GM maybe are too slow to commercialize EVs?

I think it’s the cool factor. And also the fact that GM and Ford are straight dinosaurs in today’s game. They move at the pace of a snail.

Do you think GM or Ford would send free updates monthly sometimes weekly to customer cars. With new features and bug fixes etc?

Hell no. That would take a committee, and then 2 years of research, followed by meetings upon meetings for something as simple as moving the music button around on their user interface.

I know this because I’m in the EV division of a dinosaur company.

Until a lot of the old suits get pushed out. None of them will be competitive.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
There's something to be said about having fresh minds. I think the established have already proven themselves to be way too comfortable in their old shoes. Plus, the big boys didn't really need the investors like Rivian. The big automakers already had all the cash and resources to do this stuff. They just chose to keep taking the easy route because it was cheap. Aint nobody wanting to invest in that kind of vision.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That lawsuit is so stupid.

The only reasons a manufacturer decides to sell something through a dealer or a distributor is because they want the extended reach of the dealer network, don't want the overhead of physical locations all over the country along with the overhead of running the facilities. For a smaller EV startup this makes way more sense than selling inventory to dealerships across the country and cutting into their own profits.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info