⚡ EV Move Over Tesla: Rivian R1T Electric Pickup

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
FWIW, i love this thing. I wonder if it'll be able to use Tesla's supercharger network, that's really a make or break issue IMO. Elon has always said he cares more about furthering green technology than anything else (including profit and competition), so I could see him sharing supercharging stations with Rivian vehicles for a fee that would be reinvested in expanding the network

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm really surprised domestic manufacturers haven't introduced an electric truck yet. It's clear by the model 3 delays that Tesla is already overextended and at capacity, and is therefore years away from successfully mass producing a truck, yet traditional competitors haven't done anything to get ahead of the game.

Tesla was the first successful US-based automotive startup since Chrysler. Let's hope Rivian is the next. If that's the case, you know domestics will be kicking themselves for missing this opportunity

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'm really surprised domestic manufacturers haven't introduced an electric truck yet. It's clear by the model 3 delays that Tesla is already overextended and at capacity, and is therefore years away from successfully mass producing a truck, yet traditional competitors haven't done anything to get ahead of the game.

Tesla was the first successful US-based automotive startup since Chrysler. Let's hope Rivian is the next. If that's the case, you know domestics will be kicking themselves for missing this opportunity

Most of the US manufacturers have already kicked themselves. They are super far behind in the EV market. So far behind I’ll go on a limb and say they are zero threat right now to Tesla and future Rivian in regards to the electric market.

Audi is the closest one right now to even having a chance of disrupting things.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
They have also proven so far to date they are unable to make a decent looking EV. The bolt is.....eh Ok, but it’s tiny and something about it reminds me of the Aveo

The bolt as a vehicle is awful in every way except the electric drivetrain is very good. Nothing wrong with the batteries or drive motors. Just a shame it was wrapped in such a disappointing package

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
So my buddy runs the state of Michigan for Willis insurance and had a meeting with these guys this week. He says the company is going places and they have already pre sold their entire first inventory run. Also someone just wrote them a $700million dollar check, I want to say amazon, but not positive about that.

God damn son

It's here.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
So my buddy runs the state of Michigan for Willis insurance and had a meeting with these guys this week. He says the company is going places and they have already pre sold their entire first inventory run. Also someone just wrote them a $700million dollar check, I want to say amazon, but not positive about that.

Interesting, I had a friend that worked for Willis for a few years too, but she was in corporate liability as an account executive

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I applied to work for them lol. I really feel they are the only true Tesla rival. Once they get going I can see both companies duking it out for years. Good for the consumer.

After working just 5 months in our EV department in my current company I want out. lol it’s a joke. There are maybe 10-15 of us who really know about EVs and the rest are just scared higher ups who will ruin the program

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m still baffled by the idea of an electric truck for anything other than being lifestyle image choice (granted, a big part of it, and EV in general right now). Range will practically be useless while towing. But for those 100 miles, it should tow pretty well :rofl:
giphy.gif

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I’m still baffled by the idea of an electric truck for anything other than being lifestyle image choice (granted, a big part of it, and EV in general right now). Range will practically be useless while towing. But for those 100 miles, it should tow pretty well :rofl:

I don't tow, but I haul crap in the bed on a constant basis. It's also our family road trip vehicle.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
^ exactly. If you are towing long distances multiple times a week. This is not for you.

If you are like 90% of truck owners who use it for Home Depot and because you simply like trucks this is perfect.

multiple times per week isn't the cut off.

few times per year would be annoying enough to not purchase one at this current time/stage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info