Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Full article - 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack - Motor Trend

Cliffs:

As is the 1LE’s handling. Around our figure-eight track, the Mustang managed a 24.0-second lap. That’s a fantastic time, especially because the 2016 Mustang GT needed 24.4 seconds, and the BMW M4 takes 24.1 seconds. So that’s good company. But by comparison, the Nissan GT-R NISMO, Porsche 991 GT3, and Porsche 991.2 Turbo S all dance the figure eight in a significantly quicker 22.9 seconds. I mention this because so does the Camaro. I’m still having a hard time processing that number, but it is true. The workaday Chevy runs even with the world’s elite performance cars in a true handling test.

For the record, the quickest time we’ve ever seen around the figure eight is 22.2 seconds, put down by both the Porsche 918 Spyder and the Lamborghini Huracán Performante. Meaning the Camaro 1LE is within spitting distance.

Then came the track. We took the two American icons out to Streets of Willow. Here’s the good news for Ford fans. The fastback GT laid down a 1:23.97 lap. That’s 0.24 second off the aforementioned M4 (1:23.73), just quicker than a Lexus RC F (1:24.08), and nearly three tenths of a second better than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack (1:24.29). The bad news? The Camaro SS 1LE laid down a 1:20.67 lap, 3.3 seconds quicker. In other words, these two cars wouldn’t be allowed to race together. Different class doesn’t cover it. The list of cars the Camaro went faster than should embarrass some OEMs: Porsche Cayman GT4, 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus, Ferrari 458 Italia. I mean, come on!

To put it bluntly, the Camaro is in another league, with legitimate supercars. A 2015 GT-R NISMO held the Streets record—1:19.07—meaning the gulf between the quickest car ever lapped at the track and the Chevy (1.6 seconds) was less than half the gulf between our two competitors (3.3 seconds). But then we got bored at lunch and Randy ran a lap in a Lamborghini Huracán Performonte. Result: new champ, at 1:18.73—making the Camaro the sixth-fastest car around Streets. Yet the Chevy still is less than 2 seconds off the pace of a hypercar costing six times as much. Dang.

The winner of this round? The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE. In my mind, it’s not close. Chevy has done the near impossible, transcended the genre, and turned a once provincial pony car into an honest to goodness world-class sports car. This $46,000 miracle punches so far above its weight that I’m in danger of saying weird things that could easily be taken out of context. Such as, if I were an engineer at BMW or even Porsche, I’d be clearing off my drawing boards.

Where does that leave the Mustang? Well, if you don’t care about measurable performance and are instead into the “cowboy science” side of things, you have your winner. However (and here’s the part I hate writing), in the ways that actually matter to car guys, the 2018 Mustang got its butt handed to it. For less money, Chevy stone-cold out-engineered Ford. And this is what that galls me. Not only should Ford have done a better job, but I also know they can do a better job. The Shelby GT350R—a car that’s every inch as awesome and breathtaking as a Porsche GT3—proves Ford has the knowledge to build a better car. Now it remains to be seen how much the forthcoming Performance Pack 2 closes the handling gap with that GT350 R and this Camaro SS 1LE. You can probably expect another Camaro/Mustang face-off for the answer.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But by comparison, the Nissan GT-R NISMO, Porsche 991 GT3, and Porsche 991.2 Turbo S all dance the figure eight in a significantly quicker 22.9 seconds. I mention this because so does the Camaro. I’m still having a hard time processing that number, but it is true. The workaday Chevy runs even with the world’s elite performance cars in a true handling test.

good god :rofl:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Pretty much :rofl:

We demand more car content!!

CIubsq7.gif

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The Camaro is a legit deal for sure. But let's not forget the 1LE is harsh on the streets. Members here and on other forums have said the same thing. In Chicago, I don't think I would want to drive the 1LE much. But the 1LE is quite a production car for the race track. A great value for sure!

I think the PP2 Ford is coming out with will narrow that time gap. Especially with the tires the package comes with. But I have a feeling the PP2 will still be behind the 1LE.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What is funny?

it's quicker in a quarter, outhandles it, and you're not sold because people have reported "harshness"

Camaro chassis is lighter and the car is obviously way better. Itll be interesting how much the PP2 closes tue gap if much at all.

I'd still rather have the Mustang for the simple fact the aftermarket is gigantic and its laughable how easy it is to make a Mustang a single digit 1/4 mile car.

it's barely lighter... like a hundred pounds.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Show me weight for 1LE vs. PP Mustang

its more than hundred.....

If the Camaro is such a badass car why doesnt GM make it a "global" car like the Mustang?

#tcgdoesn'tread

2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack - Motor Trend

First of all, the Ford outporks the Chevy, 3,863 pounds versus 3,746. The two cars have identical 54/46 weight distribution.

and since when does a car being available globally make it better in any way :rofl: wtf hahah

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
it's quicker in a quarter, outhandles it, and you're not sold because people have reported "harshness"

Nowhere did I say I wasn't sold on its handling. Harshness or not. I'm not sold on them because I don't like the interior and a few other things. I think the exterior looks much better than the 6th gen and interior is slightly improved. But none of it makes me want to sell my car and go run to the GM dealer and buy one. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info