Mother in law is looking for a Toyota Camry

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
My Mother in law is looking to get a 2017 or older Toyota Camry. She isn't into tech features or anything fancy at all. She wants a car that will last her at least 10 years. I am mainly asking if there are years to avoid? Engine or transmission options to avoid? Anything to keep in mind to tell her on what to look for? She lives in Louisiana so rust concerns aren't an issue. Thanks for the help dudes.
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My Mother in law is looking to get a 2017 or older Toyota Camry. She isn't into tech features or anything fancy at all. She wants a car that will last her at least 10 years. I am mainly asking if there are years to avoid? Engine or transmission options to avoid? Anything to keep in mind to tell her on what to look for? She lives in Louisiana so rust concerns aren't an issue. Thanks for the help dudes.

[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]

Like already mentioned, watch for flood cars.

IMO; I'd have her steer clear of 6 cylinder cars, if she's casting this wide of a 'net' for criteria, there's no need to shell out extra for a V6 trim car, the 4 banger is plenty.

I feel like the 'new' body style Camry that JUST came out likely means you could get a brand-new previous style car for some level of discount brand new if there are still left-over cars.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Why not buy a new one? Budget?

They have some thing about not buying brand new cars even though they could afford one.
Like already mentioned, watch for flood cars.

IMO; I'd have her steer clear of 6 cylinder cars, if she's casting this wide of a 'net' for criteria, there's no need to shell out extra for a V6 trim car, the 4 banger is plenty.

I feel like the 'new' body style Camry that JUST came out likely means you could get a brand-new previous style car for some level of discount brand new if there are still left-over cars.

Her only criteria is a newer Camry, but she doesn't want one that is prone to Issues. I am mainly asking if anyone knows that the 4cyl or 6cyl is more reliable and has less issues. She just wants a reliable car and I told her I would ask around and see if any models of the Camry had more issues than the other.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Her only criteria is a newer Camry, but she doesn't want one that is prone to Issues. I am mainly asking if anyone knows that the 4cyl or 6cyl is more reliable and has less issues. She just wants a reliable car and I told her I would ask around and see if any models of the Camry had more issues than the other.

i've seen a handful on 2012ish camrys have a transmission shudder from a bad torque converter. i believe toyota extended the warranty, but when test driving just watch out for it. from what i've experienced it happens around 40mph

but other than that any camry, any year, with any driveline is going to go forever. i regularly service taxi cabs that have 250-350k+ miles on the original engine/transmission. not very well maintained either

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Throw a dart, buy a Camry. Part of the appeal and loyalty is effortless reliability. Can’t go wrong. 2018 is reeeeeaaallllyyyyy good though. If she drives a lot, the 18 Camry will be much more pleasant. Quieter, smoother, better mpg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info