• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

More turbo problems

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I took the car out yesterday and gave it hell. When I was done it was pluming blue smoke when I got on it or it passed me when I came to a stop.

I had this problem about 500 miles ago. I disassembled the turbo, cleaned a lot of dried oil off and replaced the 2 piston ring seals.
It can't be the turbo. It has to be the drain, or excessive crankcase pressure.

When I get on it, oil seeps from somewhere up front. Presumably the front seal based on where the oil is.
I have both of my cam covers vented to a single breather tank with 5/8 lines.
The lines do Tee together before a single 5/8 hose enters the breather tank.

I know my oil pressure gets high at high rpms. (Probably north of 80 psi). However, my comp turbo has a restrictor hole cast right into the housing.
I've attached pics of my drain. The angle is almost 45 degrees, don't let the pics fool you. And it's -10
What am I doing wrong?

As you can see, the drain is well above the oil line, in the timing cover.
I'm stumped

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
is the bung welded on the cover right near to a chain path?
those chains can whip around a large amount of air and oil vapor so I could figure it could be blowing air into the drain.

I would probably guess the cast in restrictor is not small enough.
it may look like it's a restrictor but it could just be the size they drilled the passage to if I recall you probably be looking for something that would fit a .045 drill bit or smaller... I know it might change depending on your pressure.
you should probably get rid of the T in the breather hose system

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
is the bung welded on the cover right near to a chain path?
those chains can whip around a large amount of air and oil vapor so I could figure it could be blowing air into the drain.

I would probably guess the cast in restrictor is not small enough.
it may look like it's a restrictor but it could just be the size they drilled the passage to if I recall you probably be looking for something that would fit a .045 drill bit or smaller... I know it might change depending on your pressure.
you should probably get rid of the T in the breather hose system

I will measure the oil inlet hole but it's small. Very small.
I'll run 2 dedicated hoses for the breather tank
The bung is welded near a chain path indeed. I was contemplating installing a T into the drain line, with a piece of hose and a breather element attached. I would obviously run said hose somewhere above the turbo. I would have drained my oil to the oil pan when I built this but all of the piping was in the way.

Keep suggestions coming!

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
no offense but not after all the trouble you have had with that car it isn't.

hahahahahahaha

I haven't had much trouble at ll, considering I did not buy an off the shelf kit that has been tested hundreds of times prior.

Now that the bugs are worked out I have been beating on it more frequently, and this problem is becoming evident as a result.

Im calling comp when the open in an hour to get their opinion of the oil feed line.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Just got off the phone with Comp.
The oil inlet size is .040 as-is.
They told me any engines running more than 60psi at WOT requires an additional restrictor or it will almost definitely pump too much oil into the turbo.

They make a small inline filter with a .020" feed hole, which I bought for $25
Should be here Friday and solve the problem.
He told me I am definitely not the first person to call with this issue.....and the restrictor cures the problem 99% of the time.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
he had stated it was restricted. ...dude seems to know his shit. Figured it was likely the hole was too big.... I was spit balling after that.

yeah doesn't seem likely but he stated he had a restrictor I was just throwing out an observation I've made with chain drives with sensors/covers off.

it is a possibility that the chain is blowing oil and air at a cast in ledge near the hole and it's throwing oil into the opening. it's why you almost always see a baffle on the inside. Keep oil sloshing/windage from affecting oil return to the sump.
it's the main reason I've copied them and put baffles on the inside of all my returns.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info