Beater Volvo 240 and it's quest against the odds to visit all 50 states

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
My family was die-hard Volvo (after their K-car kick which thankfully was really really short lived), had a bunch of 240s over the years.... wagons, sedans, even a diesel. My uncle was "that guy" who I'm becoming who would gather up broken ones and get them back into running state just to do so. They'd sit until someone needed to borrow or buy one. Then came the 850s... oh boy. Such shit in comparison from a reliability and workability standpoint. But the T5 was impressive when everything was working (especially coming from NA redblocks). After two 850s, they started buying other brands. I thought the NA stick wagon was pretty cool but that got swept away in a flood eventually in the Metro Detroit area when a water main broke. It was probably for the better.

EDIT: I like your build threads, very informative, lots of pics, explanations, etc....

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My family was die-hard Volvo (after their K-car kick which thankfully was really really short lived), had a bunch of 240s over the years.... wagons, sedans, even a diesel. My uncle was "that guy" who I'm becoming who would gather up broken ones and get them back into running state just to do so. They'd sit until someone needed to borrow or buy one. Then came the 850s... oh boy. Such shit in comparison from a reliability and workability standpoint. But the T5 was impressive when everything was working (especially coming from NA redblocks). After two 850s, they started buying other brands. I thought the NA stick wagon was pretty cool but that got swept away in a flood eventually in the Metro Detroit area when a water main broke. It was probably for the better.

EDIT: I like your build threads, very informative, lots of pics, explanations, etc....
Yeah, it's pretty wild how radically Volvo changed for the worse when the 850 came around. Ironically it wasn't much earlier that they were claiming how the transverse layout is an inferior safety design. :rolleyes: I do think that these cars paved the way for some amazing stuff though. It just way too long to come to fruition. Dear baby Jesus, please send me a new S or V90 with the white interior. :love::love::love:
1591840398304.png

Thanks for the compliment! I enjoy writing them. I like explaining these things not because it benefits others, but for my sanity. I think I used to spend too much time working and not enough time gathering my thoughts. It's easy to lose track of a project even when it's sitting right in front of you. Documenting everything is a huge help!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Yeah, they definitely struggled with that through most of the Ford era. I'd like to think that the major issues were fixed when Geely took over, but time will tell I guess. My C30 is 10 years old with 175k, and so far the only gremlin I haven't been able to easily fix is the AC blend doors. I just keep it on auto so that it doesn't spaz out. lol

Did you get the hot/cold alternating? That's what mine would do.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
More great luck. I wanted the bumper project to look like a massive win, so I withheld what happened immediately after. I was super excited to go on a test drive to make sure that the clunk went away. Spoiler alert- It didn't. Before that I cleaned up the garage and went to shut the hatch. *BANG!*

"WTF was that?"

Apparently this.
1591842245383.png

I went from jolly as a roger to fuming. HOW ON EARTH IS MY LUCK THIS BAD?! That's not even close to related to anything I had been working on all day. Now the hatch doesn't stay open. Guess what. I can't just replace the ball stud either. In fact, that part is fine. The captured nut inside the D-pillar said "no more". This is by no means a simple repair because I have no access.
D-pillar.jpg

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

....so I removed the lift support and went on an angry the test drive where I got even angrier about the clunk still being just as bad as before.

Sometimes anger works to my advantage, and this was one of those times. I managed to diagnose it and fix the real clunk in about an hour just because I needed another win to balance out the day. lol That shock mount I removed while doing the body work over the winter came loose. That was before I had an impact, so it doesn't surprise me much. It's not coming loose again!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Did you get the hot/cold alternating? That's what mine would do.
Mine just doesn't know where to direct air flow any time I change the outlet. The temp changes fine, but let's say I go from auto to defrost. The doors will do all kinds of wrong stuff that result in the air dead heading against closed doors (an unpleasant sound), to then being routed somewhere I didn't ask it to go, back to dead heading again, repeat. It will do that for days, and it's super irritating. Eventually it finds its way, but this is why I always leave it on auto.

Today I started addressing that ball stud. I started by propping the gate with a broom handle and masking stuff to make sure that hot metal dust doesn't stick to the car.
Prep 2.jpg

I cut with a Dremel death wheel.
Cut.jpg

Cut 2.jpg

I then crawled around the car like a confused squirrel because I couldn't find the nut. :mrss00ls: Those tiny welds are kinda pitiful for they load they need to hold.
Cut 3.jpg

Since the threads were mucked up and I don't ever want to see this nut again, I'm going to search for a new one.
Threads.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Keep at it. Fastro isn't running, won't even start so it could be worse. Hoping I can get it going to get it in a drive way. What's annoying me is it has spark and fuel pressure. Probably not a good omen....
I'll keep going. We have a goal of being able to trust this car on a 7 hour journey through Michigan to go camping in August. I HAVE to get it ready! I just can't believe that "getting ready" involves cutting and welding metal that doesn't even have rust issues! :mad:

Hmmm that's shitty beef. I forget what kind of engine you put in there. Gen 1? Gen 2? Does the crank trigger only control fuel injection on that? Do you have a noid light?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'll keep going. We have a goal of being able to trust this car on a 7 hour journey through Michigan to go camping in August. I HAVE to get it ready! I just can't believe that "getting ready" involves cutting and welding metal that doesn't even have rust issues! :mad:

Hmmm that's shitty beef. I forget what kind of engine you put in there. Gen 1? Gen 2? Does the crank trigger only control fuel injection on that? Do you have a noid light?

It's gen1 with a small cap HEI. I think it's the Megasquirt II but not really sure. That'd kinda suck tbh as it would mean tow chain till I can get another box ordered.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I think this thread needs some clarification. I noticed that my cover photo was changed by someone else, and the car was even featured on the TCG Facebook page using the same picture...

Well, I'm sorry to upset a few people, but this might be the ultimate TCG doesn't read. Ya'll got the wrong car.
1.png

This was all just back story. I'm sorry if I made this thread confusing by talking about my previous cars, but I thought it was relevant to why I have a Mid-blue '89 245DL in the fleet AGAIN. If you're one of the previous owners of the slammed wagon with a "Grossinger Volvo" sticker on the hatch and you're reading this thread, you might want to stop right here.

Seriously.

Do you want to cry?

It STILL pains me to look at this pic.

You were warned.
The end.jpg

Moose is the replacement. I wish this picture showed the damage, but Olga was a rusty SOB with other mechanical issues not worth sinking money into repairing. It didn't belong on the road anymore. If I was a member of TCG in 2016 I would have posted the whole project for sale here, but there were no takers on other platforms which resulted in a part-out. What you see in the above pic is about all that was left after the goodies got sold or stored away.

Again, RIP.

On a lighter note... The CURRENT Volvos got pampered today.
Volvos together 1 6-20.jpg

Volvos together 5 6-20.jpg

1592189062448.png

I'm still waiting on parts for this thing, but I should be able to start working on the hatch some more tomorrow.

Reactions: dberz94

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That was my fault. Did this thread even have a cover? I don't normally change user set ones.

Regardless, my bad.
It's all good! I'm not mad. I just saw a comment on the Facebook page that made me say "oh no." ? I feel like I'm going break that guy's heart if he sees the picture I just posted. As far as the cover picture, I don't remember if anything was there. I wouldn't have put the POs pic though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You might notice in the pics from Sunday that the splitter was falling down on the driver side. From the factory, they're held on with a weak tab that goes up to a screw in the bumper cover. I think most of them break the first time any 240 scrubs a curb or parking stone. lol Anyway, drilling a small hole in the splitter and running a zip tie through it works great.
1592305516527.png

Then I had a little fit. I fixed the side mounts, but the front mounts had the wrong hardware which resulted in the little teeth you see above. Olga was going to be an organ donor once again. I cleaned these little washer clips up and shot them with rust encapsulator.
1592305863102.png

Then I mounted them up with stainless hardware. It's amazing how these little easy details make such a strong impact. Was it the most important thing I could have done with my time? No, but I say that progress is progress!
1592305920535.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I got a big shipment of parts on Monday, so I was pretty excited to fix stuff... maybe a bit too excited. We'll talk about that in a bit.

Remember this awful pulley alignment? There's a fix for that.
1592395023351.png

This tensioner doesn't make life easy either.
1592395150575.png

Such. A. MESS.
1592395096398.png

1592395377149.png
1592395395719.png

I don't have a press, so I had to improvise. BFH and random casualties work.
1592395481624.png
1592395506006.png

I'm going to interrupt this repair for a message about safety.

There are a lot of dangerous tools and chemicals around the garage. Please be aware of your surroundings! One second I was heating up my bracket for the bushings to slide in easier, and the next second I had a 6 foot flame surrounding a can of brake clean. I've never been so scared in my life. Luckily my fire extinguisher was handy and the can didn't blow TF up!
1592395909533.png
1592395934293.png

I'm a lucky SOB. I really needed to finish what I was doing, so I swept the garage while I put myself back together. I then promptly got back to work.

Also, I about had a second episode. I ordered six bushings when I needed seven. Luckily I had been hoarding a spare poly bushing from Olga all these years. It's poly and it's blue, but at least I don't have to order another.
1592396110139.png

All back together! The alignment still isn't perfect, but it's much better than before. I think a couple washers will fix it.
1592396140405.png
1592396150100.png

It sure runs a lot smoother though!
1592396315760.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
In an effort to start enjoying my cars a little more instead of just working on them, I figured I'd try to take and edit more fun pictures. I realize every time ROTM comes around that I have or used to have a good ride, but no friggen pictures! When I do, I take them for instagram so they're oriented wrong, or it's just a shot of the part I was repairing. Camera skills certainly don't come over night, and neither does staging. Other than needing to move the C30 out of the shot, I like how this turned out. Moose is looking and running so well!
1592913320406.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
How about a real "tech" update?

Since the Camaro is finally tuned and trustworthy enough for continuous use, I'm ready to start giving some the other cars some of the loving they deserve. I put the tailgate issue on hold until today because my C30 hauls groceries just fine, and having another functioning hatchback just wasn't entirely necessary. However, today felt like the right day to dive in.

First I prepped the area for welding, grinding, and painting. A Harbor Freight fire blanket worked well here. I also appreciated finding out that a 6' ladder fits perfectly under a fully open 245 lift gate.
1593464886880.png

Then I knocked the galvanization off an M8-1.25 nut and a couple washers for welding.
1593465135471.png

Yes, it's ugly, but only we are going to see it! I added an extra washer because I noticed that the ball stud has a pretty long shank before its threads start. This is due to the thick metal used on the D-pillar.
1593464995071.png

I enlarged the hole using a step bit. An unintentional benefit of the step bit was the chamfer it created which will make welding a lot easier.
1593465247793.png

I wanted to make the hole just barely too small so that the washers would be a press fit. The D-pillar is super thick, so deforming it would not be very easy. I just needed to make sure that I go slow with the step bit, checked the hole size often, and ground the welds on the nut so that the washers remained round. To make it even easier, I used a bolt as a handle for keeping the nut straight while I hammered it in. A jam nut would have been wise in order to lower the risk of damaging the threads, but I didn't have an issue.

I should also add that I sprayed the nut and washers with weld-through primer before pounding it home. This was done with hopes that it doesn't rust later. I could still use some of the frame channel paint to get in there, but its a mess that I don't want to risk getting on the carpet.
1593465485921.png

Ready to weld
1593465531328.png

As I learned while welding the quarter panel, I welded this slowly. Again, this is thick steel, but I still took care to prevent warpage. I only made two small tacks before re-preparing the metal and blowing it off with compressed air. You don't want to continue welding until everything is cooled down a bit.
1593465685949.png

Um. Ew.
1593465709052.png

A couple filler welds and some grinding later, I'm calling it "good enough". For tight areas like this, I use a flap disk on my dremel tool to grind the welds down. I was happy with the quick results. Afterward, I needed to clean a little bit of slag out of the threads with a pick. A thread chaser was then used after that.
1593465750707.png

Why am I happy when there are still little pores? Because sandable primer is my friend. Automotivetouchup.com supplied me with this, matching base coat, and clear in rattle cans. After two coats of each and a little sanding between primers, I'm thrilled with the results!
1593465794797.png

I don't want this sucker coming out again. Red Loctite will make sure of that.
1593465830156.png

It sits nice and flat. Anything less than flat is going to create risk of ball stud failure.
1593465895819.png

1593465917954.png

1593465940030.png

After a bit of vacuuming, Moose is officially back to being better in every way, shape, and form than how we found him EXACTLY a year ago today. It's crazy to think about how much work I've put into this thing since it pulled into the driveway.
1593465956807.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
We made the daring decision to start trusting the wagon to go long distances again. The initial drive home just over a year ago is still the car's longest voyage during our ownership, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't terribly sketched out on that one. The timing belt was about to snap, and I would be even more scared if I had known what I was going to be in for during the following year!

Now that I've been through so much of the vehicle, it's hard to put question marks next to anything. It's time to see what this car is made of!
1593988753484.png

Going to Lisle 6.jpg

It was interesting riding shotgun in a 240, but even more so because of the car having AC and soft suspension. I actually got to sit back, relax, and discover that these seats recline a lot further than most other cars I've had. I could have fallen asleep which is incredibly out of character for me. I don't nap on car rides.
Going to Lisle 14.jpg

Going to Lisle 15.jpg

Going to Lisle 17.jpeg

The only issue I found the whole way was that I did not properly reinstall a couple of the bulb sockets after repairing the D-pillar. No worries!
Last night 2.jpg
Last night 3.jpg

After some swimming in Mom and Dad's pool, visiting with family, and eating way too much, we made the trip back. This time, the outside temps were well into the 90s.
Going home 11.jpeg
Going home 7.jpeg

Going home 10.jpeg
Going home 4.jpeg

After our second gas stop for the trip I was really curious about how much my repairs might have increased the fuel mileage.
Going home 1.png

I was pretty darn happy with that. I have not seen over 22 before, and the last times I've calculated have been without working AC on local highways. Considering that we were setting the cruise at 75mph on a 90+ degree day with the AC cranked, I'm guessing this is pretty normal.

We made it about a block from home before I came across the second issue.
Going home 3.jpg

I know that these gauges mean essentially nothing even with the temp faker bypass, but I did not like to see the temp creep this high. We had been chugging along all morning without issue. It wasn't until we stopped in a drive-thru for lunch that this started happening. It crept up very slowly, but it did not stop increasing until I started moving again.

Overall, I'm extremely proud of this car. Having working AC and cruise control in a 240 is truly game changing. I feel like I've experienced what it would have been like to buy one of these brand new in the 80s. Not only that, but I also understand WHY somebody would buy one of these brand new in the 80s! I just need to figure out how to bring my coolant temps down.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
After our second gas stop for the trip I was really curious about how much my repairs might have increased the fuel mileage.
View attachment 61961

I was pretty darn happy with that. I have not seen over 22 before, and the last times I've calculated have been without working AC on local highways. Considering that were were setting the cruise at 75mph on a 90+ degree day with the AC cranked, I'm guessing this is pretty normal.

You know the stupid part? All the on-board fuel economy gauges are almost always wrong. My Focus always estimates at least 1mpg high over the entire tank.

22mpg at 75mph is not bat at all for a car with the aerodynamics of two lego bricks.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've always hand calculated my older cars. I compared my calculation to the average in the C30s computer once just out of curiosity. Since it was dead nuts I never checked it again. I always wondered how the car calculated though.

It sucks that the GN has the rear fill-up because the pump never seems to shut off at full. Plus, my speedometer is off a little. I'll never know exactly what that car is getting.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thread Info