2016 Golf R, DSG

1670395408140.png

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Try out some 100oct in that thing. I know your car is substantially faster and different platforms. But my ST reacted quite well to it. Most owners did e30, but the mixture is a bitch. I ran full tanks of 100.

Still wish I got a chance to hit the track in it again after all that I did.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Bump. I am curious what your overall review is? I have been starting to try and get a fun DD and these check all the boxes I have minus a 4 banger. I am not the biggest turbo 4 fan, but as long as the power feels good it wouldn't matter much. Might test drive a stick version tomorrow even though the DSG is very appealing to me as well. Did the stage 2 impact highway mpg at all?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Bump. I am curious what your overall review is? I have been starting to try and get a fun DD and these check all the boxes I have minus a 4 banger. I am not the biggest turbo 4 fan, but as long as the power feels good it wouldn't matter much. Might test drive a stick version tomorrow even though the DSG is very appealing to me as well. Did the stage 2 impact highway mpg at all?
Coming from a nicely done turbo 4 focus, the comfort and power is there. Remember our run at the half mile? That was minor Bolton's for a turbo 4cyl. The Golf R is league's better I think for the powertrain.

https://youtu.be/D_Mapoihid0

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Before I get to my review, here are a few opinion comments:

• Skip the manual and do the DSG. If you plan on modding at all, you will need a clutch, there is no way around it. Test drive the DSG, you will fall in love.
  • With stage 2, I see 30mpg + on the highway.

Now to my brief 2 year update:

I have owned something like 15 cars since I turned 16 (I will be 37 this year). Those cars have ranged from FWD low horsepower, to AWD 700+ hp. Manual, auto...done it all. I am known for ditching cars after a year...the Supra, the Evo, the Cobra...I got bored (yes!) with all of them. I have owned the R since late like March of 2017...and every time I drive it, I still get excited and smile.

This is THE best car I've owned from an overall standpoint. Sure its not as fast as the Supra or the Evo, but its a blast to drive in its own right...and its plenty quick for a daily driver (11 second car without a doubt). Looks great (subjective of course), is comfortable, great on trips and has plenty of power for the street (with more on tap with a few more go fast parts). I see myself keeping this for awhile, or at least until the MK8 R shows itself. There really isnt much else I'd get rid of it for.

Stage 2 is close to perfect for this thing. I still wanna do a pro tune but I'm holding off for now. A drop is next....and I'd like to swap in the virtual cockpit over winter....but we'll see.

So basically my advice is this - go drive the DSG R..don't bother with the manual unless your heart is absolutely set on rowing gears. You will not come away disappointed.

Bonus content: The DSG is an absolute BLAST. Tossing it into paddle mode allows you to have way more fun with the car. Or if you wanna let the car be a baddass on its own, put it in Sport and the car will hold the revs way harder and more aggressive. The car will accommodate virtually any driving style. VW has really fine tuned the DSG to near perfection.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Also, tossed [MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION]'s old rims on today. Love it. Now I just need a drop to complete the look. (pardon the compressed image - too lazy to go through imgur)

And by tossed, I mean Dan treated me like discount tire and knocked everything out like a pro, while I stood around looking for something to do.

IMG_20190811_192226.jpeg

Thread Info