2016 Golf R, DSG

1670395408140.png

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Nah. I'm getting the piston I replaced has a ring issue. We'll see.

Drives perfectly fine 99% of the time.
Not to make you paranoid, but I started getting mild smoking and did the high and low side catch can thing…then one innocent rip and it was shaking at the next light. I still don’t know exactly what happened, but I suspect cracked ring or bent rod. Piston top looks fine , no wall scoring either.

I woul suggest you borescope with a side camera and check cylinder bore for scores just in case.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Unsolved Mysteries GIF by FILMRISE

Ok. As you all will recall, last summer, melted a piston. Got one from a low mile engine and popped it in. Cylinder itself was unharmed, inspected, etc. Since then, the car drives fine, gets into boost fine BUT (and not always), when going flat out and going into lets say 4th gear, I get a A LOT of oil smoke out the exhaust. This happened at the track once last year.

Flash forward to this year, car is now on a bigger turbo housing but the same setup. More than a few times now, going from a stop and going flat out, once I get high enough up in speeds (100+), I get a HUGE puff of oil smoke, like a lot. Took the car out last night to Morris to have my buddy sit in the car and log (and hopefully run 10s). Ran 11.3@123, way down on power. Huge puff of smoke. No knock. No codes. No hesitation. No timing issues. Everything looks fine. Car never smokes on startup, never smokes on decel, never smokes getting into boost...only when I'm flat out going triple digits.

Took the car over to SRT41320 SRT41320 for a compression check. All within spec:

1: 170
2: 165
3: 170 (this was the bad piston last year)
4: 175

We're gonna do a leak down test next week but if that comes back good....what do I check next? The turbo? Maybe the cartridge is bad? I'm gonna have the tune looked as well but not sure what in the tune would cause that kind of smoke and loss of power (unless the car is overboosting?)

Open to suggestions and thoughts.

Thread Info