Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[chapter]The Great Pillow Experiment[/chapter]
So as most of you know, I sleep for shit. 3-4 hours of actual sleep is my average. Luckily, its gotten a bit better because of certain non prescription drugs but I still need to work my way up to 6-8 hours. Every pillow I've tried has sucked. Or they start out marginal and go downhill fast. Some of that is because of my left arm from a previous car accident and it gets uncomfortable throughout the night. But a large majority of my sleep issues most definitely stems from poor choice in pillows.

About 2 weeks ago, I spent a few hours going down the pillow rabbit hole...reading reviews, watching videos, the usual things someone does when they're laying in bed staring at their phone when they should be sleeping. After spending yet ANOTHER night of reading, I settled on the Purple Harmony Pillow. You guys might be familiar with their mattresses, which typically carry high marks as well. Purple describes this as THE perfect pillow, and I'm going to update you guys every day on whether or not they deliver.

I'm typically a back and side sleeper, with time on my stomach sprinkled throughout, mostly when I'm half awake. Purple and reviews all say this pillow is perfect for back and side. I should mention, I bought the "regular" size rather than the "tall" size. Purple says this about the two sizes:

The Purple Harmony Pillow comes in two heights so you can choose the pillow that best fits your needs and preferences.
The regular Purple Harmony Pillow 6.5” is favored by back sleepers, side sleepers with smaller frames, and stomach sleepers.
The Purple Harmony Pillow Tall is favored by side sleepers with average to larger frames and anyone who generally prefers a taller pillow.

So lets start with an hour ago. I got an email from UPS saying my package was delivered at my door. There was no package. Knowing exactly what happened, I walked behind my house and grabbed my box off the driveway these morons will randomly deliver to...apparently living here 6 years is still too confusing for them.

The box arrives fairly non discrete, except for the word PURPLE in the corner.

IMG_20200803_165546.jpg

Everything is packaged nicely, pillow is in a sealed bag, no risk of COVID attacking me.

IMG_20200803_165616.jpg

This is what the pillow looks like chilling on the bed. Exciting.

IMG_20200803_170121.jpg

This is what it looks like inside the cover. Its very stretchy and feels gel like. Its basically Purple's hex design in a cover. Purple claims this cover will keep you cool at night (I've heard that before) and will adjust to your head and neck as you move throughout the night.

IMG_20200803_165823.jpg

IMG_20200803_172401.jpg

I laid on it real quick to test but not long enough to make any real first impressions. I wanted to go in tonight mostly blind. On my back and side, I was encouraged, however. The real test will come around midnight tonight.

The plan is to bump this thread each morning and tell you guys how I slept. I don't expect much out of the first few nights, as my body will need to adjust to something new, but I'm hoping to have real results by day 5 or so. This pillow comes with a 100 day trial but I'm hoping to know whether its worth it or not long before then. Stay tuned.

[chapter]Night 1 Review[/chapter]
Crashed out last night around midnight. Started out by laying on my back to see how that felt (traditionally I cant sleep on my back for long). I could immediately tell my spine was much better aligned vs the other 20 pillows I've tried (and vs the other 4 pillows sitting on the bed). My head felt like it was floating with the Purple. I mean you can obviously tell its being cushioned by something but it felt light and supportive. Just enough sink without being sucked in and you definitely arent just sitting on top of the pillow.

I eventually found myself on my side and things didn't seem to fare as well. I definitely felt slightly uncomfortable on either side BUT I'm going to attribute that to my body having to learn to sleep with my neck and spine in proper alignment. I felt like I wasn't cradled as much, but I also feel like that was because I kept trying to get into the old positions I was so used to with my old pillows.

The pillow stayed nice and cool throughout the night and I never felt like I was at risk of overheating. It helps my room was cool for a change. I was also a bit surprised by how "springy" the pillow felt, but not at all in a bad way. Whereas on some mattresses, they allow next to no motion transfer so you wont wake up your partner and then you kind of struggle to move around b/c the mattress doesnt have any spring, the Purple pillow is the opposite. The pillow is constantly adjusting to any head movement easily and effortlessly.

So how did I sleep? Compared to the past few nights, I slept meh. I felt like I was adjusting far more throughout the night but I was expecting that. HOWEVER, to my surprise, when I woke up, aside from feeling a bit sore (but in a good way, if that makes sense) I didn't feel tired like I always do. I felt more relaxed, chipper and far less anxious than normal. I consider that a huge deal, since I usually wake up still feeling wiped out.

Stay tuned for the next update tomorrow.

[chapter]Night 2 Review[/chapter]
I can still confirm the pillow stays cool. I never felt warm throughout the night...but again, its been in the 50s at night, so I wouldnt expect to. But its still nice that the pillow does seem to properly manage heat.

I once again woke up feeling not super tired, which is weird. I also felt less anxious as well. Now, this could be because of the cart I've been hitting before bed but even with that, I was waking up super sleepy...since getting the new pillow, that hasnt been the case.

Sleeping on your back does seem to be the optimal position for this pillow. It offers the most comfort. Unfortunately, I do tend to sleep on my side a lot and that is where I'm struggling most with the Harmony. I know its doing much better things for my spine alignment, but the pillow itself feels weird on my face....almost like additional pressure. I'm not sure if its BECAUSE I'm not used to the better spine position or if my body is so used to shitty pillows that I'm constantly trying to get into the position I'm used to. It must not be that big of an issue, however, because I do seem to be mostly sleeping through the night.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow.

[chapter]Night 3 Review[/chapter]
Not too much to report for night 3. I partied a bit too hard before bed and woke up super groggy from that...go easy on your hemp based drugs, kids :rofl: I do feel like the soreness is getting a bit better - and like I said, its soreness in spots where it would make sense to be sore if you're actually sleeping properly. And its very mild, dont take it to mean I'm waking up feeling like I was in a boxing match. I think my body and sleeping positions are starting to adapt for the pillow finally. I don't find myself looking at the clock at random hours of the night either, which is nice. Back sleeping is still where this pillow shines the most, and I find myself wanting to try it more. No matter what part of the pillow I move so, its always supportive and cool. I'm still working on getting back into a side sleeping pattern but I must find comfort over night because I'm definitely not tossing and turning nearly as much as with my old ones.

Probably gonna go in to sleeping tonight stone sober so that I can see if the pillow is good enough on its own to get me to stay asleep throughout the night. Stay tuned for night 4.

[chapter]Night 4 Review[/chapter]
The positives - woke up far less sore vs the previous less nights. Body is getting used to the new sleeping positions. My room got a bit hot last night but the pillow didnt bother me. Seemed to stay cool and I didnt really notice it was there. Found myself sleeping more on my side as well. The negatives? Nothing to do with the pillow. I woke up a few times, mostly because I tried to go to sleep early and that never works. I woke up a few times overnight but I still woke up feeling much less tired than normal. So the pillow scores another good review.

The pillow is comfortable and I owe it all to the purple hex design under the cover. Thats the real star, not the actual pillow itself. Its just so springy and form fitting to any sleeping position.

The weekend will be a good test as I tend to try and sleep in a bit and we'll see if I end up waking up early feeling refreshed and actually wanting to not get more sleep.

[chapter]Night 5 Review[/chapter]
Last night has me a bit confused. For whatever reason, I became fixated on the pillow not feeling the same last night. I found myself constantly changing how I was sleeping because I had convinced myself the pillow was already going flat (it wasnt) or that it wasnt properly cradling my head (it was). Honestly, I think putting a pillow case over it made my brain wig out. Dont ask me why. Maybe the pillow case feeling like my old pillows fucked with my brain? I took the case off this morning and the pillow felt new again :rofl:

With that said, I still managed to wake up not feeling groggy and minimal soreness. I found myself sleeping on my side far more but again, the back is reall starting to get comfortable.

With having to wake up for C&C tomorrow, we'll see if I feel tired at all in the AM. Another good test - forcing myself to wake up when I could easily sleep in. Usually I sleep in because I didnt get enough sleep...lets see how my body feels come C&C time.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We got 2 of these pillows for "free" when we bought outlr Purple mattress. My wife loves the pillow, but I didn't like it. My complaint though was that it wasn't tall enough so maybe I need to try the tall version....I didn't know there was a tall one.

Crazy how heavy those pillows are though! Has to be at least 10 pounds.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We got 2 of these pillows for "free" when we bought outlr Purple mattress. My wife loves the pillow, but I didn't like it. My complaint though was that it wasn't tall enough so maybe I need to try the tall version....I didn't know there was a tall one.

Crazy how heavy those pillows are though! Has to be at least 10 pounds.
Having met you in person, I think you'd definitely need the tall.

And ya, they definitely feel very premium.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang how do you like the mattress? And which version mattress did you buy?
X3 I’ve been checking these out as it’s time to replace my almost 10 year old bed
We got the "Purple Mattress" not one of the Hybrid ones. We've been very happy with it. It is firm, but the initial layer is that "purple grid" and very comfortable. My wife was having minor stiff back issues, and I was having minor stiff neck issues...neither serious at all, just would be randomly sore sometimes. Neither of us has experienced it whatsoever since we went to a Purple mattress last year. Has been very comfortable, and I have noticed I definitely feel cooler/chillier sleeping with this mattress (which I like).

This said, my wife and I aren't mattress snobs, so its not like we have tried a million mattresses and this was finally the perfect one. But we have been really happy with the purchase and plan on sticking with them going forward. Link below to the one we got.

Reactions: Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Anyone know i
We got the "Purple Mattress" not one of the Hybrid ones. We've been very happy with it. It is firm, but the initial layer is that "purple grid" and very comfortable. My wife was having minor stiff back issues, and I was having minor stiff neck issues...neither serious at all, just would be randomly sore sometimes. Neither of us has experienced it whatsoever since we went to a Purple mattress last year. Has been very comfortable, and I have noticed I definitely feel cooler/chillier sleeping with this mattress (which I like).

This said, my wife and I aren't mattress snobs, so its not like we have tried a million mattresses and this was finally the perfect one. But we have been really happy with the purchase and plan on sticking with them going forward. Link below to the one we got.

So did you just order this without even checking it out? Are there Purple stores? I’m kinda nervous about ordering a mattress that I can’t check out in person.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Anyone know i

So did you just order this without even checking it out? Are there Purple stores? I’m kinda nervous about ordering a mattress that I can’t check out in person.
I just ordered it. Figured with their return policy we'd just send it back if we didn't like it.

I don't know of any purple stores....

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang how do you like the mattress? And which version mattress did you buy?
X3 I’ve been checking these out as it’s time to replace my almost 10 year old bed
Anyone know i

I purchased a purple3 two years ago. I absolutely love it. Tried like 10 different mattresses, and I settle on this one. I have a bunch of bamboo pillows but I think they're wearing out so I might look into a purple pillow. I purchased mine from mattressfirm. Tried them all back to back. I also went to a sleep number store and tried those as well as the tempurpedic ones. I got a free adjustable base with mine, some sheets, and a two purple seat cushions but going back I would have maybe skipped the frame and got some fancy pillows. I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It sleeps pretty cold overall. I have a thing about texture and love the feeling of the hexagon pattern on my toes.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Im completely a side sleeper. And a tosser. (yeah i said it.) Whenever I wake up during the night, I've gotta switch over to my other side or else I cant fall back asleep. And if i try and sleep on my back, my throat tends to collapse in on itself and I start snoring like crazy :LOL: But if my pillows arent up to the task, my shoulders definitely start feeling it, which Ive been feeling lately, so its definitely time for some replacements.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info