Model Y release

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don’t think they mean it like that though. They are still very new, but expanding faster than any other manufacturer. They are simply in need of cash, that’s no secret. Therefore the higher priced models will get made first to make the most money they can.

Really it’s just like anything. Want the newest iPhone? Want that new folding phone? Well pony up the dough or wait a year for when they come out with the iPhone xc less optioned model.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also to note they make vehicles in batches. I learned this when I ordered my S. They make a large wave of large battery packs, then switch over to the smaller ones. It’s not an assembly line of one car is an extended range, the next is 2wd low range etc. so for 2 months they may not even make your car if you order when they are making the other options.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
...the higher priced models will get made first to make the most money they can.

Exactly, you back up my point. So you again, it's about money. Who is spending it and who isn't spending as much of it.

ANd the phone example isn't a good one. They release like 3 version all at the same time. So you can get the iphone 10, 10 XL, or the cheapie version upon launch. Not the 10 XL first, 10 in 6 months, and 10 cheapie in 12 months. You don't see other car manufacturers also offering a model and making people wait a year to buy the cheaper models.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Only if you buy the top of the line model. The base models will be built after the higher level cars. Probably late 2021 for base/low option cars. I like Tesla for many reasons but that is shitty. "You can't afford or don't want our expensive stuff? Then too bad for you. You just became a low priority for us."

There’s no “probably” about it. It’s clearly stated on the order page “standard range production is expected to begin early 2021”. All other versions are late 2020

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
You don't see other car manufacturers also offering a model and making people wait a year to buy the cheaper models.

It's usually the other way around. Cheap models out first and then later on the convertibles, performance models, and special editions come out.

One of my salesmen was one of the first to get a Model 3 around here and when he plunked down the 1k he was under the impression it was going to be a 35k car. All said and done it was like 57k after options when they told him he had to buy the long range model or else wait another year or so...lol

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It’s going to be tough for them to keep competing in the higher range market. The fact that it’s all electric, stupid fast, and has all the superchargers plays heavily into their success. But when you look at some of the alternates, this simple model 3 interior isn’t going to keep working.

Wife and I looked at a new Volvo XC90 as well as the new Audi Q8 performance or whatever the launch edition was.

Holy crap those cars were nice. The Volvo interior was stunning, so was the Audi’s. Both around about 70k ish. So a fully loaded Y might be a hard sell for some given the options.

I omitted the X from the equation because spec’d out to what we would need was 100k+. (Longer range, better interior, color options, etc.) so it was not a fair comparison.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
It’s going to be tough for them to keep competing in the higher range market. The fact that it’s all electric, stupid fast, and has all the superchargers plays heavily into their success. But when you look at some of the alternates, this simple model 3 interior isn’t going to keep working.

Wife and I looked at a new Volvo XC90 as well as the new Audi Q8 performance or whatever the launch edition was.

Holy crap those cars were nice. The Volvo interior was stunning, so was the Audi’s. Both around about 70k ish. So a fully loaded Y might be a hard sell for some given the options.

I omitted the X from the equation because spec’d out to what we would need was 100k+. (Longer range, better interior, color options, etc.) so it was not a fair comparison.

But the Audi and the Volvo still are legacy car makers and have the mentality of legacy car makers. I don’t need to explain to you how you have new features on your car that you got for free after you bought it.... legacy carmakers give you the middle finger and no reacharound. Not to mention while it seems sparse, a minimalist interior is actually a very hard to achieve and some people like it better than having a million buttons everywhere.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
But the Audi and the Volvo still are legacy car makers and have the mentality of legacy car makers. I don’t need to explain to you how you have new features on your car that you got for free after you bought it.... legacy carmakers give you the middle finger and no reacharound. Not to mention while it seems sparse, a minimalist interior is actually a very hard to achieve and some people like it better than having a million buttons everywhere.

Oh I totally agree 100% I mean when it comes to after sale service and stuff Tesla destroys everyone. The fact I can purchase basically anything the car could have come with after the fact is amazing. Unsure about a feature? No problem you can add it on from my Tesla account at a later date.

That’s on top of all the free shit I get. “Dog mode, sentry mode, revamped OS system, faster charging now, etc etc.

For me my choice will always be Tesla until proven otherwise by Porsche etc. the wife however isn’t as sold as I am for her daily.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info