Model 3 owners step in Please

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I know we have a few on this site. I cannot remember who to be honest so decided to make a thread.

I am looking to possibly purchase a new Model Y soon. I am test driving it shortly, but since it shares nearly 70% or more items from the 3 I thought I would get a 3 owners perspective.

What are some things you like about your car? More importantly some dislikes? I already have an S so I would skip the common media driven ones.

More specific looking for your thoughts on the interior, driving style, your range and any issues you may have had.

If there are any Y owners on here chime in, but pretty sure there isn’t unless they lurk.

Please drop your comments to help me decide if I should or not.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Everything I've read says the Model Y drives like a 3 with a higher seating position. So you're knocking on the right door.

That said, take everything you like about your S and make it better by 25%. It's more efficient, more practical, charges much faster, handles better, has a similarly built interior that makes much better use of the space... The list goes on and on but if you like your S you'd love the 3 and you'll love the Y if you're after a crossover.

I had three S's. They are spectacular cars and I remember Elon saying that the Model 3 was not the next generation car compared to the S and X. He was full of shit. He had to say that so they could keep selling S's and X's while they ramped up production of the 3. This generation of cars is nothing short of incredible.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Everything I've read says the Model Y drives like a 3 with a higher seating position. So you're knocking on the right door.

That said, take everything you like about your S and make it better by 25%. It's more efficient, more practical, charges much faster, handles better, has a similarly built interior that makes much better use of the space... The list goes on and on but if you like your S you'd love the 3 and you'll love the Y if you're after a crossover.

I had three S's. They are spectacular cars and I remember Elon saying that the Model 3 was not the next generation car compared to the S and X. He was full of shit. He had to say that so they could keep selling S's and X's while they ramped up production of the 3. This generation of cars is nothing short of incredible.

Well said. Yes the extra 100 miles or more of range is very enticing. The faster charging speed is a bonus..... but there is a trade off. It’s no longer free. I have free for life on my car.

Also the premium connectivity is a charge after a year now, where I have it for life. It’s just small little things. I’ve never driven a 3 or Y so when I drive it I’ll see more. The seats are going to be a make or break. I have the upgraded interior with the new S seats in mine and they are glorious. If these are basic crappy feeling like the old S cars that may break the deal for me.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The dash Is obviously controversial but it being so low makes visibility out front amazing. Also the way the vents work is amazing. Honestly I think they work better than any manually adjustable vent I’ve ever used. Having them blow up through the steering wheel is amazing as well.

the landscape style screen is also better suited for all the media options than the model s/x.

v3 supercharging is also great. just today I charged for 15 minutes and got almost 200 miles of range.

As for the seats, all 4 cars share the same seat frame so I can’t image they are too different from your model S. For what it’s worth everybody seems to enjoy them.

one thing I do miss from my old car is the lack of a heated steering wheel but I’m thinking with the remote cabin heating that won’t be too big of a deal.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The dash Is obviously controversial but it being so low makes visibility out front amazing. Also the way the vents work is amazing. Honestly I think they work better than any manually adjustable vent I’ve ever used. Having them blow up through the steering wheel is amazing as well.

the landscape style screen is also better suited for all the media options than the model s/x.

v3 supercharging is also great. just today I charged for 15 minutes and got almost 200 miles of range.

As for the seats, all 4 cars share the same seat frame so I can’t image they are too different from your model S. For what it’s worth everybody seems to enjoy them.

one thing I do miss from my old car is the lack of a heated steering wheel but I’m thinking with the remote cabin heating that won’t be too big of a deal.

The screen and dash will take some getting used to if I decide to go with it. The lack of heated steering wheel honestly blows my mind. I don’t care that they wanted to leave that for only the S and X.... sorry 20k cars have it, it’s just not acceptable. Would it be a deal breaker? Not sure yet, but something I’m thinking about

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Still love my 3 almost 8 months in. I've had experience with the S/X and like Mike K said the 3 was definitely the "next generation" of Tesla vehicles. The interior of the 3, even though it's simple, feels higher quality and more polished that the S/X. The S/X seem like "Beta test" EVs to me. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic for what they are, but they don't feel like a fully polished product like the 3 does. I have no creaks or rattles, the efficiency is fantastic, even when I hoon it a bit and it's be dead reliable. I don't know how much you supercharge, but I hardly do at all and I between buying my car with a friend's referral code and having another friend use my referral code, I've earned 2000 free supercharger miles of which to this date I've used less than 600 of. I have a few more friends and family members that are thinking about buying Teslas, so that will only add to my free miles when I refer them. That said, I'm mostly charging at home anyway so it's more of a tiny bonus for me when I do take a trip to charge for free.

The Y being so early on in production still seems to have a lot of quality control bugs from what I've seen. I'm sure that will improve over the next couple years, but I personally don't think I'd buy a Y right now. I have a rule of never buying the first model year of any vehicle though, so there's that...

Reactions: Aircal

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
The screen and dash will take some getting used to if I decide to go with it. The lack of heated steering wheel honestly blows my mind. I don’t care that they wanted to leave that for only the S and X.... sorry 20k cars have it, it’s just not acceptable. Would it be a deal breaker? Not sure yet, but something I’m thinking about

I was perturbed about it too until I started using the car. It really doesn't need a heated steering wheel. If you preheat the car in the winter and having the vents pointed at the steering wheel, then they warm it up before you get in.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Still love my 3 almost 8 months in. I've had experience with the S/X and like Mike K said the 3 was definitely the "next generation" of Tesla vehicles. The interior of the 3, even though it's simple, feels higher quality and more polished that the S/X. The S/X seem like "Beta test" EVs to me. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic for what they are, but they don't feel like a fully polished product like the 3 does. I have no creaks or rattles, the efficiency is fantastic, even when I hoon it a bit and it's be dead reliable. I don't know how much you supercharge, but I hardly do at all and I between buying my car with a friend's referral code and having another friend use my referral code, I've earned 2000 free supercharger miles of which to this date I've used less than 600 of. I have a few more friends and family members that are thinking about buying Teslas, so that will only add to my free miles when I refer them. That said, I'm mostly charging at home anyway so it's more of a tiny bonus for me when I do take a trip to charge for free.

The Y being so early on in production still seems to have a lot of quality control bugs from what I've seen. I'm sure that will improve over the next couple years, but I personally don't think I'd buy a Y right now. I have a rule of never buying the first model year of any vehicle though, so there's that...

Wouldn’t your 3 be considered a first year vehicle though? Not that it matters for teslas as they do not follow the year change thing, which annoys me

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Wouldn’t your 3 be considered a first year vehicle though? Not that it matters for teslas as they do not follow the year change thing, which annoys me

No. First model year for the Model 3 was 2018. There have been a number of changes and fixes to issues in the ensuing years including the seats, rear drive motor, and roof glass. Mine is a 2020 and with the 2020 model they finally switched to the industry standard model year dating system. My 2020 was actually built in 2019.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
No. First model year for the Model 3 was 2018. There have been a number of changes and fixes to issues in the ensuing years including the seats, rear drive motor, and roof glass. Mine is a 2020 and with the 2020 model they finally switched to the industry standard model year dating system. My 2020 was actually built in 2019.

Shit I forgot it’s been around that long. Wow. I haven’t got my Vin yet for my Y but it’s deep 40k or 50k is my guess from what I’ve seen tracking wise? I’ll report back. The Y I tested was vin like 12,000 and it really didn’t have anything super noticeable. The charge door and the rear seat thing that was it

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Shit I forgot it’s been around that long. Wow. I haven’t got my Vin yet for my Y but it’s deep 40k or 50k is my guess from what I’ve seen tracking wise? I’ll report back. The Y I tested was vin like 12,000 and it really didn’t have anything super noticeable. The charge door and the rear seat thing that was it

Good to hear

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info