mod advise for lightning newbee.... what route should I go

SVTdubs

Banned
Reaction score
Im keeping this relatively stock. The stock exhaust flows quite nicely so I am keeping that stock.

The truck already has a diablo flip chip in it.
I want to get a JLT intake so the blower screams but Im torn over which pulley I should get. I want to get a pulley that doesnt require an upgraded maf, fuel system, etc. I just want an intake, chip, pulley truck, thats it.

So what pulley can I get that will be safe on the stock maf, fuel system etc?

On my 03 cobra, Id say the 2.8 upper is the equivilent combo because that is the point right before you need either a BAP and or injectors and a maf.

So what combo should I go with?

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
I'm a gen 1 guy (Pushrods) but I do spend a fair amount of time on NLOC.net.

Seems that the guys who run up to a "6 Lb" pulley are getting away with it regularly. Anything more seems to cut into reliability from what I've read.

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Reaction score
SVTdubs said:
Im keeping this relatively stock. The stock exhaust flows quite nicely so I am keeping that stock.

The truck already has a diablo flip chip in it.
I want to get a JLT intake so the blower screams but Im torn over which pulley I should get. I want to get a pulley that doesnt require an upgraded maf, fuel system, etc. I just want an intake, chip, pulley truck, thats it.

So what pulley can I get that will be safe on the stock maf, fuel system etc?

On my 03 cobra, Id say the 2.8 upper is the equivilent combo because that is the point right before you need either a BAP and or injectors and a maf.

So what combo should I go with?
You'll read on Lightning sites that people say to go with the 4lb to be in the safe zone. Most lightning peps are afraid of blowing the engine with the 6lb. But you'll be fine with whatever you decide as long as your tune is good and you're not doing high speed runs for long periods of time. (the Gen 2 rods suck!) Stick with your stock upper pulley. I've read a lot of people having belt slip issues when they change there upper. With the 6lb you do run a good chance of needing a maf but not everyone does. Good idea with staying away from Exhaust to save $. I like my truck loud so that the only reason why I got a cat back system. But with the lightnings the stock exhaust flows enough that you will not pick up any horse power with an exhaust change.

OP
SVTdubs

SVTdubs

Banned
Reaction score
Im thinking of just getting a 12" filter and being done with it. My tune was 11.2 across the board so even if it gets a little leaner with the filter, it will still be safe

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Reaction score
I saw how you drove in the cobra. So a little bit of advice. The Lightning rods/motor cannot take the same high speed runs the cobra did. That is the only place I would say BE CAREFULL! That is where you hear people talk about blow ups.

V

venmousracer

Dude,

4lb lower, 14 inch filter, port the blower and tune the fucker, and thats all you need, the lightnings are return style fuel system..... Eddie

hj16

Tasty!
Reaction score
Get the JLT and slap on a 6lb lower while you're at it. You don't need to worry about fuel delivery of the MAF at all. Its just about the only thing elevation is good for.

OP
SVTdubs

SVTdubs

Banned
Reaction score
yeah but i plan on driving to illinois every once in a while and probably hitting byron or us41 so I can get some "real" times

I ordered a JLT today, maybe a 4lb lower tomorrow. Scott from mile hi dyno can tune it out here. I cant wait to see how the elevation kills the times this wed at bandi. You wanna go hank? They werent open last wed

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Reaction score
You'll have plenty of fuel system with a 6 lb, but it's borderline and with a 6 and a port job, you'll be out of fuel.

The 4 or 5 lb lowers are considered the limit of "safe". From the looks of those rims, you have a 99-00 - check and see if you're still running the 80mm stock MAF that came in those years. You'll want to put in the 90mm MAF and tune if not. Then, even among the L's, the 99-00 were known for crap rods.

That beotch will scream with the JLT. Have fun!

Dragon03

Super hated on
Reaction score
Wiked L said:
Good idea with staying away from Exhaust to save $. I like my truck loud so that the only reason why I got a cat back system. But with the lightnings the stock exhaust flows enough that you will not pick up any horse power with an exhaust change.
Shit where was that advise a couple years ago when I had my 01 Lightning :lmao: I didnt gain shit when I went the full Bassani, but atleast it sounded good :p

hj16

Tasty!
Reaction score
SVTdubs said:
I cant wait to see how the elevation kills the times this wed at bandi. You wanna go hank? They werent open last wed
Can't, Im flying out to Chicago for an interview tomorrow, wont be back till late wednesday night.

Id be down for next week though...

JeffsLightning

Reaction score
Lightnings stock maf and fuel system will support 450-500 rwhp. The JLT is good then go with a 6lb lower...Have your tune set up for the additional boost with maybe a low timing (12) and a tune for 95+ octane...17-19 degrees..

edit. Just remembered you most likely have the stock 80mm maf...Dump it for the 90 (01+) and have it tuned for that...

TSI_SVT

Get Blown!
Reaction score
I have a 2lb upper and it does slip with the stock idler. I only changed my exhaust to the JDM silver bullet catback for a little more noise. The one thing I would get if it doesn't already have it is a valvebody. The transmission will last much longer plus shift better.

OP
SVTdubs

SVTdubs

Banned
Reaction score
thanks guys. Im going to do a JLT for now and maybe a 4lb lower later on. With my 11.2 a/f, I probably wont even need a retune. Im going to dyno it stock again then switch the stocker for the JLT on the dyno and run again to see the difference. 3 pulls on the dyno here is only $60!

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Reaction score
Seriously, I totally forgot about that one. You NEED a Factory Tech Valve Body. The best place that sells them is www.chickenears.com pick up a new pan with a drain plug at the same time. (I went with a Moroso pan from rpmoutlet.) DON'T go with anyone else's valves, get the whole valve body from FT - he actually worked on the assembly line for the 4R100.

There is nothing that will put a smile on your face like throwing you back and barking the tires on the 1-2 AND 2-3 shifts. Best mod award IMO.

http://www.chickenears.com/accumulator_main.htm

OP
SVTdubs

SVTdubs

Banned
Reaction score
i think the truck already might have that...it shifts hard as hell

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom