mmuscare's 2018 Tacoma Off Road

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
How was the pop lock install?

It wasn't terrible. The kit came with a nice long wire harness and it was pretty straight forward.

We added some split loom and zip tied it nice along some existing wires on the frame. I think the toughest part was getting the trim around the passenger kick panel re-aligned as that is where we tapped into the wires.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
He painted it tan and parked it in my driveway

20190321085135204.jpeg

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine

Unfortunately nothing to report. The dog broke its leg and needed a $$$$ surgery so mods are on the back burner for another couple of months.

Plan is to do the 12v power to the bed instead of the useless 120v outlet, and get an auxfuse panel installed and interior switches figured out. Possibly a hidden in the grill light bar.

Then more utility nice to have stuff like 10-15 gal removable water tank for rinsing off. Probably look at removing the backseats and building a platform for the pup as well.

Other than that just drive the thing. Planning to do at least part of the TWAT starting at my buddies place in Sparta possibly later in May

He painted it tan and parked it in my driveway

giphy.gif

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
you're going to keep 120 power in the bed right?

I want 120 in my bed to charge tools/phones, run whatever if possible.

Probably not. The outlet is only rated for 400w parked and idling. I’d rather swap it for 12v and get a decent inverter. That way if I ever go dual battery setup I don’t need the truck running to use it.

I guess it depends where I decide to mount the 12v. I want to avoid drilling into the bed itself so I figured I swap the outlet out for another larger storage box and put the wiring and outlet in the cover of that.

If I man up and mount the power panel in the bed itself I may just keep it. The Blue Sea panel I’m eyeing will have 2 cigarette outlets and 1 pair of Anderson Pole plugs with a power switch.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]

Under the hood the plan is to mount the aux panel on a PowerTray and set myself up for adding a SwitchPro later. They are expensive but I think in the long run having the flexibility and only having to do the hard part of running wires through the firewall once will make it worth it. Plus programmable buttons and the clean look in the interior.

80d7c8fee05ae3e5bbfb21d6813a682a.jpg

Ignore the SwitchPro module on the top right for now but under the hood it will look like this.

IMG_5696_540x.jpg

Fuseblock - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000THQ0CQ/?tag=tcg21-20

Power Tray bracket - https://www.powertrays.com/collections/5th-gen-4runner/products/switch-pros-powertray

For the bed panel something like this

six-hole-panel-mounting-plate__4056_580.jpg

I can swap in whatever modules I want. Hopefully I can get it to fit in the little cubby. Then I could retain the semi useless outlet.

I like the cleaner look of the panel so would probably replace the plastic with a metal cover or something. But this gives you an idea. Some mount it in the cubby but I think I'm going to want that space for the fuse panel for the rear

img_2227-jpg.1532889

image-jpg.1193024

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
thats perty

Yeah. This year is basically just get that basic foundational stuff in. If I'm feeling crazy may order a Cali-Raised 32" lightbar to mount behind the grill.

image_e0d5095a-8030-4688-a1c8-babb5aec1df2_394x.jpg

Oh yeah, This thing needs a speaker upgrade..... bad

Apparently Kicker Tweeters for the Subaru Impreza are drop in replacement and make a HUGE difference for like $80.

Finally moving into a house April 15th and after about 10 years I'll have a garage again so mods will be easier.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Nothing major to report. Drove it to Nebraska the other weekend. I'm finding the seat more and more uncomfortable on longer trips which is a bummer. I am a bigger dude so I'm sure that plays a part in it but IDK what the plan is for that quite yet. Currently I'm sitting on a memory foam cushion which is better but not perfect.

I bought some seat spacers from a dude of Tacomaworld that many have said greatly help with comfort. Should raise the back about an inch and give a better angle for my back.

I did purchase the Subaru Tweeter kit just have yet to install them. Hoping to do that this week then determine if speakers are needed. After our long trip I'm thinking the tweeters will help but not solve the problem.

Also added something to the camp loadout. Found a 10 gallon Roto-Mold water tank on Craigslist for $15. Guy was using it for RO water for his fish and looks brand new. Not worried about chemicals. Ordered a non vented lid so I can mount horizontal and need another bulkhead but I'm planning on building a mount for it and mounting to the header bed rail at the front of the bed. Pump will be just a cheap Seaflo off Amazon. Still haven't run the power like I wanted but this will hopefully light a fire under me for that.

WeSk9yq.jpg

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Did some work on the water tank the last few days.

Built a little frame that will bolt to the rails in the truck. I'll use some lashing straps to secure the tank to the frame. It will mount against the front of the bed.

Works pretty well. Decent pressure from the $30 pump. Whole unit is removable in one piece.

I've got a very tiny drip to address on the lid, probably paint / bedline it, and then get the wiring in the bed squared away.

fZ7Lhsz.jpg

z3YnjJs.jpg

ziBuKXx.jpg

rryzbpM.jpg

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I've been wanting pretty much the exact same truck, but in that darker grey metallic color. I'd want like the 6-speed manual.

I like it. Its a good truck / daily. Obviously I'm not using it for work but was a big help moving and just general moving stuff.

That grey metallic is a nice color! The manual is supposed to be really nice and smooth

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
M muskie have you done any over landing during all this wild stuff?

Unfortunately no. I'm furloughed next week so I was hoping to go somewhere. Might do the southern part of the TWAT stopping up near Sparta WI as I've got a buddy up there. Kind of depends on the rain situation this weekend.

Heading down to the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky first week of July though so it will get some dirt. Hoping to do a little car camping in the next few weekends though with shit opening up. Nothing crazy.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Update time.

Subaru Tweeters were installed, made a huge difference honestly. For $80 I'm actually willing to defer the speaker upgrade, its that good. Drop in replacement which was real nice too.

Going on some trips the next two weeks. One of which involves heading up to the Apostle Islands / Cornucopia WI. For that one I'm renting a camper. 17' Viking Ultra Lite type deal. I still needed a brake controller but wanted something stealthy. I decided to go with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.

IMG_1063.jpg

Controller mounts in the dash and have a tiny remote knob for control that I mounted in the drivers side change cubby thing with a 3D printed switch panel. Panel adds two more accessory switches.

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Next up is to finally finish that bed wiring. I got the last part I need, and then I'll probably do a light bar behind the front grill in a month or two. 35% tint going on the front windows after I return from my trip, as well as 70% on the windshield.

Bonus Pics of the Trailer I'm renting
plkpgdbmtsylovmjloqk.jpg

eyo8fhvfb4k0azqe2ext.jpg

a9g49bawyvolaagsiv98.jpg

Thread Info