Misfire and ticking noise.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
03 Regal GS L67. mods in sig. car has 115k on it now

I was driving it tonight and when i pulled up in front of my friends house and was waiting for him, i noticed that beteween 1200-1500 rpm the car felt like it was misfiring slightly. when he got in the car he said it didnt sound good, so i rolled down the window and sure enough the engine is ticking at idle/any rpm.

Any throttle above 25% causes one hell of a misfire and the SES light starts flashing.

im thinking either a loose rocker arm bolt, blown lifter or something similar. this is definately not a rod knock sound. sounds valvetrain related.

any ideas guys?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Sounds like you need to get in there and check for any mechanical issues first.

If the SES is blinking, it means you're having multiple misfires @ the same time so I'm guessing more than just one cyl is having problems. Pull the codes and see what they might tell you.

I don't have sigs turned on so I can't really see the mods you have.... too lazy today to turn them on to read.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if you did any work to it recently the oem wires may have broken internally and you may only now be feeling it as the candle (spark across the break) burns outward from the middle

to isolate it take a timing light and determine if the noise is valvetrain speed at the same time it might tell you which cylinder is missfiring (feel for the stumble/strobe to sync as you move the wire sensor from cyl to cyl.)

i'm betting the tick may be exhaust related (DP flex?)

grab a 3-4ft length of rubber hose (and beat yourself with it) then listen around for the leak/noise location

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info