Mirrors, mirrors, and MORE mirrors!...oh, and I got mirrors too!

OK, I've been meaning to clear out of my ridiculous inventory of mirrors for a few years now, but kept getting side tracked. Time to get going on this. These can be installed on ANY car that uses 12V, regardless of how plain, or how fancy the mirror your car came with is. This thread should cover almost everything about installing/replacing/upgrading fancy rear view mirrors: Everything you ever wanted to know about auto dimming rear view mirrors - TCG

Terms and Conditions of Sales

1. THERE ARE NO DIBS! First to pay for the mirror they want gets it till inventory runs out.
2. The prices are FIRM, and include FedEx ground shipping to anywhere in the contiguous 48 states.
3. I am NOT shipping outside of the continental US! I'm sorry, but I simply don't have time to deal with obtaining shipping quotes, customs paperwork, etc.
4. I'm only accepting PayPal in the form of *gift* payments at this time.
5. Regardless of being tested, all mirrors are being SOLD AS IS!

All mirrors are tested to make sure they are working properly prior to being sold, include the correct wiring harness in case this will be a custom job, and wiring will be IDed and accompanied by a sheet indicating what each wire is for. These are being listed on every car club I'm a member of, so it will be much easier if you just e-mail me your SN, which forum you're from, and what mirror you want (ste6000awd[at]msn.com).

If you want to arrange to pick up the mirror in person, I'm willing to meet up in/near Naperville, but that is as far as I'll go. Anywhere further, and it's not worth what I'd loose in gas vs. just shipping it out. I'd also prefer cash if purchasing in person. I can also help you install it if we meet in person, but if it seems like the old mirror is being stubborn in coming off, I won't force the issue. I'll just get the wiring set up (as we did with Angus' car), and suggest taking it to a glass/body shop which will usually remove/install mirrors for a very small fee, if not free.

I will be continuously updating this list as I find more mirrors, or as mirrors sell.

Mirror1.jpg

Description: Used in the early to mid '90s only on the Chevy Caprice and Buick Roadmaster. The compass is back lit.
Number of wires: 4
Features: Compass, map lights.
Price: $40
Qty: 1

Mirror2.jpg

Description: Donnelly mirrors used from late '90s through early '00s. Same mirrors on non-OnStar equipped w-bodies. Green light indicator for when the self-dimming feature is on.
Number of wires: 3 (including unnecessary green wire for reverse feature)
Features: Self-dimming, map lights.
Price: $70
Qty: 4

Mirror3.jpg

Description: A rare version of Gentex's first self-dimming mirror featuring map lights (extremely uncommon for Gentex) found only on well-equipped Caprices and Roadmasters in the mid-'90s.
Number of wires: 5 (including unnecessary green wire for reverse feature)
Features: Self-dimming, map lights.
Qty: 4

**Pic will be up shortly; looks exactly like the next mirror down, but without the compass**

Description: 1st mainstream Gentex self-dimming mirror used from early to mid-'90s. The OFF/MIN/MAX text actually lights up orange on the version used in the Bonnevilles. The rest are the greenish-white.
Features: Self-dimming.
Price: $30
Qty: 2
**Looking to clear out of these, so I'm willing to take $20 shipped!**

Mirror5.jpg

Description: 1st mainstream Gentex self-dimming mirror with compass used from early to mid-'90s. The OFF/MIN/MAX text lights up greenish-white.
Features: Self-dimming, compass.
Price: $55
Qty: 7
**Looking to clear out of these, so I'm willing to take $35 shipped!**

Mirror6.jpg

Description: These were a design update to Gentex's original mirrors, used from the very late '90s to the present.
Features: Self-dimming.
Price: $55
Qty: 7

Mirror7.jpg

Description: These were a design update to Gentex's original compass mirrors, used from the very late '90s to the late '00s.
Features: Self-dimming, compass.
Qty: 3

Last edited:

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Hey, James. Sorry for the late reply. New job has kept my pretty occupied the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure the Outlander should have the typical universal style mounting button on the windshield. If so, you'll have a lot of choices for mirrors. You can get compass without temp easy, especially if no map lights isn't a deal breaker (see last pic in original post). I think all the HomeLink mirrors have LED map lights, as pretty much all Gentex mirrors with map lights do. At least all the ones I've discovered in the yards and online so far. You'd have to go Donnelly to get regular replaceable bulbs, but then it gets much harder to find one with a compass (do not have one at the moment), and then you have the whole prone to failure issue with Donnellys.

I'm not a fan of the Donnellys egg-shaped design anyways, so they were pretty much out from the start.

Perhaps I could just not hook up the map lights? Or set them to not automatically turn on when the door is opened? Or just learn to live with them, I suppose.

IDK. Anyways, do you still have that last mirror in the original post? Or were you just using that as an example?

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Thinking about replacing the mirror in my g8 to get ride of the passenger airbag on/off light.

Not sure what type I need, but it has the OnStar controls, manual dim, and compass only. What would work? Could I switch to autodim?

Yes, from speaking to another G8 owner, switching to an auto-dimming compass OnStar mirror is pretty common for them. Not sure I have one at the moment though, as I rarely pull those because OnStar mirrors in general are not very popular. They don't really break, so very rarely will a car that came with one need a replacement, and if it DIDN'T come with one, very rarely is someone going to want a mirror with OnStar. Let me know if you definitely want to swap, and I'll see if I can find one. Good chance I'll be hitting a yard next week.

Perhaps I could just not hook up the map lights? Or set them to not automatically turn on when the door is opened? Or just learn to live with them, I suppose.

Not all HomeLink mirrors use map lights, so if you're OK with no map lights at all, HomeLink might still be a possibility. In fact, I just sold an auto-dim with HomeLink only mirror on eBay, and I still have the same exact mirror except with a compass that I haven't had a chance to list yet. Only problem is HomeLink mirrors are pretty popular right now, thus they go for a decent chunk of change on eBay. The one I said I just sold went for $110. :eek:

Auto Dim Dimming Rear View Mirror Homelink Toyota Camry Tundra Tacoma RAV4 MR2 | eBay

Anyways, do you still have that last mirror in the original post? Or were you just using that as an example?

Yes, got several of those. They are the most common and popular ones to switch to (sell a lot of them to GP guys trying to get away from leaking Donnelly mirrors + they get the bonus of a compass with no additional wiring).

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Got plenty of those. If you want one, just let me know. One other thing to throw out there....

Mirror5.jpg

These are an older version of the same mirror we're talking about. I'm dropping these to $35 to get rid of my stock of them because they're an outdated design, but for someone who just wants an auto-dimming mirror with compass, and isn't worried about it being the latest version, it will serve the purpose for a lot cheaper than the newer ones. BTW,the buttons on the bottom light up.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Got plenty of those. If you want one, just let me know. One other thing to throw out there....

Mirror5.jpg

These are an older version of the same mirror we're talking about. I'm dropping these to $35 to get rid of my stock of them because they're an outdated design, but for someone who just wants an auto-dimming mirror with compass, and isn't worried about it being the latest version, it will serve the purpose for a lot cheaper than the newer ones. BTW,the buttons on the bottom light up.

PM incoming

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
PM incoming

Responded.

the one that fell off my 97's windshield had red vacuflorescent compass/temp display and auto diming

this is the bugger that leaks right?

this one isnt, looks perfect but i figured id ask

Picture of said mirror? No pre-'01 got a compass mirror that I know of. If they got an upgrade, it was the Donnelly auto-dim only mirror (the ones that leak). What's more, there are very few mirrors out there with a red display. Audis have them, and the newer compass/temp/Homelink mirrors found in some Chrysler products have amber on certain years, but no GMs that I know of, especially from that era.

Bumpity.

When I get a chance, I will have to update the original post with all the newer mirrors I've added to the collection. :) E.g. auto-dim +: HomeLink, HomeLink with compass, HomeLink with map lights, HomeLink with compass AND map lights, etc. Even found a few newer HomeLink ones with the hidden compass. The mirror covers the cut out for the compass so that you can only see the compass when you start up your car and the display lights up.

Thread Info