Minty 2000 7.3 for the truck bois

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Some may be pleased/surprised to know I've still got this thing. Put about 6,000 miles on it over the summer, took it to Hayward once. Truck didn't skip a beat. Currently in heated storage since late October. Spring plans are to have the bottom silver repainted to get rid of the sandblasting the bottom of the fenders and bed sustained off road in South Dakota. When it's at the body shop I'm going to get it PDR'd and have a few areas of the white touched up, but i'm trying to keep the truck as original as possible. Going to change the lower pinstripe tape to gray/navy blue, which was a factory option just like the gray/red, and do the upper pinstripe in navy blue as well.

OXA6vnS.jpg

VCVTwIa.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Spring plans are essentially;

-Paint work listed above
-new front leaf springs (Rears are new, fronts are old and sagging)
-Polish OE wheels
-Up pipes, EBPV delete, pedistal upgrade and probably a wicked wheel, though IDK how much good it'll do through a stock exhaust which I refuse to change.

Other than that I'm just going to drive it. My 6.7 is for sale to make way for something new, so, I'll probably end up using this truck a lot over the summer until I can track down exactly what I want to replace the 6.7.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Spring plans are essentially;

-Paint work listed above
-new front leaf springs (Rears are new, fronts are old and sagging)
-Polish OE wheels
-Up pipes, EBPV delete, pedistal upgrade and probably a wicked wheel, though IDK how much good it'll do through a stock exhaust which I refuse to change.

Other than that I'm just going to drive it. My 6.7 is for sale to make way for something new, so, I'll probably end up using this truck a lot over the summer until I can track down exactly what I want to replace the 6.7.

Let's do this right man.
Diesel Innovation one piece stainless up pipe.
GTP38R ball bearing turbo,
Garret delete base
Pre filter pump kit Driven Diesel
Riffraff fuel crossover
Swamps tunes.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Let's do this right man.
Diesel Innovation one piece stainless up pipe.
GTP38R ball bearing turbo,
Garret delete base
Pre filter pump kit Driven Diesel
Riffraff fuel crossover
Swamps tunes.

Am I going to be choking the shit out of it with stock airbox and intake? I literally do not want to modify the truck any more than necessary. Last 7.3 I had that I put an exhaust on I immediately hated it.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Alumiduty? or is it Cummins O'clock?

Not quite sure yet. I'm leaning towards getting something a bit more tame for a DD. Thinking BMW X5 Diesel or a 15+ Yukon Denali. Something that can tow 6000#'s or so to take a car to GLD, sleds/quads to Hayward, etc but be cheaper to run and comfortable. It'd be a stepping stone vehicle for sure, I just don't know what I want yet.

I will essentially have use of this truck for towing 7-8 months out of the year, most of which being the busiest months for me anyways. Anything I need to move when it's stored I can accomplish with my gasser F250 or 3/4 ton yukon. Pretty much been testing this theory all winter seeing as my 6.7 hasn't left the garage much at all.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Other option is just don't replace it with anything until I decide what I want. I fell in love with Eagle Eagle's RAM over the weekend, so maybe once I could find a '19 SAP RAM used in my ever impossible to find CCLB SRW 3500 combination. I bought a rust free 2011 Ford Ranger yesterday in an online auction so I may just drive that every day. IDK, I'm all over the board. Trying to thin down the number of vehicles since I'm starting to accumulate a lot of them that are longer term keepers which is odd for me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
NOPE. You'll be good.

Good to know. I'm somewhat kicking myself because I had the opportunity to buy a friend's old 7.3 that pretty much had all that and then some (injectors, built trans, etc) for like $3,000. It had gone through two owners that we both knew, got very rusty and they were trying to just off it. Could've robbed it for parts and gotten my money back.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yes.

Then also a John woods valve body and a triple disk converter... It'll be a new truck.

Trans is definitely a bit wayward, but I'm used to about 170,000 combined miles of 6R140 goodness. I wish it was a ZF6 truck, but then I'll be launching a boat and have someone else pulling the truck out and be very glad it isn't.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm debating tossing a VB in mine cause I don't think it's completely toast... Only 250k on it, tuned and tire'd it's whole life

Mine's not toast by any means, just archaic compared to the newer transmissions... Far more of me just not being used to them vs. there being any sort of problem. This truck went away like 100 miles shy of 250,000. But it's never been tuned, stock tires its whole life, etc. Entire drivetrain is healthy as can be, I'm just going to want a bit more out of it since it's going to be doing more towing than it needed to in the past.

I hopped under my Yukon a few days ago to check where the hitch bolts up to the frame and I'm glad I did... Frame is rotted right behind the spring perch, so, no more towing for that truck lol. (doubly fucking annoying because I bought that truck for its frame to use on my wrecked gray one). It's going to live out its days making hayward trips when its just 3-4 people and luggage.

With that being said, I need a new "winter" tow vehicle so the X5/newer tahoe idea is kinda out the window.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Pulled it out of storage for a bit today for a little doomsday prepping. Went and filled the 100 gallon transfer tank in the bed with fresh fuel, double treated with Stanadyne. The Weather Guard box that was in the back I removed last week and sold for $300. Clear coat was peeling and it was pretty dented and banged up. Ended up finding one in Hoffman Estates today in MINT condition for $180 (score) so I installed that today as well after I snapped this picture. I can't wait to detail this thing up at the very least if I don't get around to doing the paint work on the bottom.

GeszyoP.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Only thing I've "fixed" so far on the truck is the door latch. I've never seen this happen, but the inner door framework's spot welds actually broke free, and the drivers door latch had about 3/8" of play in it because it is secured to the inner panel, not the outer. Door gap was off because of it and you'd get a very annoying rattle when closing the door and driving down the road. Drilled out the spot welds on the outer panel with a flat-faced 1/2" bit and welded the panels back together. Everything seems to be holding up so far, door gap is spot on again, etc.

DEEZUZ DEEZUZ ever seen that happen on an older extended cab truck?

Thread Info