Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
first, we are not chitown. i hate when people use chitown as an example when proposing something on here.

second...ive been trying to avoid having to have a "minimum post count" type of scenario but w/ people only joining to sell things lately, it might be a necessary evil. a lot of folks do end up being contributing members, but we still have the issue of people ONLY joining to sell.

i would make it something more reasonable than 50 tho. i hate that shit. maybe 10 or so. its something id have to think over.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
first, we are not chitown. i hate when people use chitown as an example when proposing something on here.

second...ive been trying to avoid having to have a "minimum post count" type of scenario but w/ people only joining to sell things lately, it might be a necessary evil. a lot of folks do end up being contributing members, but we still have the issue of people ONLY joining to sell.

i would make it something more reasonable than 50 tho. i hate that shit. maybe 10 or so. its something id have to think over.

I apologize for using chitown as a reference....... :dunno:

And we do have active moderation, but it would make it easier to just stop it before it happens if it doesn't require much/any work. Doesn't bother me, just a suggestion.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I think it's fine as is. I'd rather laugh at the dude getting his threads locked or banned then see random posts that mean nothing just to get a post count up (especially where there isn't a minimum character amount for posts).

I'm even ok with someone taking a bit of time to make a freshman post introducing themselves with some background info. At least let people know you're real before all your other threads are FS shit

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I am just saying from another unnamed forum that the minimum post thing sometimes creates another issue where people spam 10-50 posts to post in the classifieds. I end up warning/deleting all of their spam posts which gets a little repetitive.

Another forum I'm on (not chitown) allowed you to only post in the freshman section until a Mod/Admin approved your account :dunno:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Another forum I'm on (not chitown) allowed you to only post in the freshman section until a Mod/Admin approved your account :dunno:
This just stifles forum growth. On a huge forum perhaps it's a necessity. TCG isn't a huge forum. For instance, I wanted to buy a camera off of a forum today and had to join to even see the classifieds section. Once I joined I couldn't email the guy because my account had to approved before I could post or do anything. There's no reason for stuff like that unless your forum is just getting ransacked by spam.

As for having people join just to post something for sale, I don't see the problem. Traffic is traffic. Sometimes you might convert that person to a regular and other times maybe not but what's the big deal. A. it offers more items for sale to the regular members here and B. it's no different than a person making a single post in any other part of the forum and then not coming back.

These are just my opinions of course and we all know I'm bordering on retardation so take it how you will. I'm going to go learn to tie my shoes now.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
For instance, I wanted to buy a camera off of a forum today and had to join to even see the classifieds section. Once I joined I couldn't email the guy because my account had to approved before I could post or do anything. There's no reason for stuff like that unless your forum is just getting ransacked by spam.

Sorry but it makes sense from a security standpoint especially if people are posting up email addresses and phone numbers as some forums require. Keeps the spambots and trackers from trolling through the forum for new people to spam too. It is an annoyance but you don't want spam bots pming everyone on your forum as soon as they join etc. And they are getting better and better every day no matter how difficult you make things to sign in.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Sorry but it makes sense from a security standpoint especially if people are posting up email addresses and phone numbers as some forums require. Keeps the spambots and trackers from trolling through the forum for new people to spam too. It is an annoyance but you don't want spam bots pming everyone on your forum as soon as they join etc. And they are getting better and better every day no matter how difficult you make things to sign in.
Like I said, where that's a problem, I understand having a system like that. If it's not a problem then it's not necessary. Generally if you keep up to date on your software you don't have to worry about problems like this. Imposing account reviews is an inefficient way to circumvent that though and when you think of it, how many forums do you have to get your account reviewed on before you can post? How many of those do you return to?

Thread Info